Thread: AN125 lack of power?

Bike
    1987 Suzuki GN250

AN125 lack of power?

I just purchased a 2008 Suzuki AN125 to whip around town on. When I test rode the bike it was on the flat (no hills in sight) and it seemed a bit flat at the low end but got up to 80kmh pretty easily on the windy road. I asked at the local suzuki bike shop about it being flat at the low end and they said thats normal for the AN125.

After getting the bike home then riding it to work (over a hill in Dunedin) it struggled at full throttle to maintain speed up the hill I was sitting around 45km/h. I thought surely for a 125 this should power up the hill at 50 or 60kmh with out any trouble at all and certainly not at full throttle.

I changed the oil, air filter, spark plug and that made no change (except it sounds slightly better). While driving along the road it sound likes something is a little rattlely possibly either in the exhaust or coming from behind me (so could be that box mounts on the back).

The bike has about 16,000kms on it and the previous owner didnt know much about the maintainence before he got the bike a couple of years ago.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I can try do to rectify this problem?

I am mechanically minded but this is my first venture into the world of motor bikes!

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    I think you may be expecting too much from the poor wee 125.

Going up that hill expect to get a bit of puff going on. It makes about the same horsepower as a decent lawn mower (OK I'm taking the piss here - but may depend on the lawn mower ....).

Bike
    1987 Suzuki GN250
    Haha I have followed 50cc scooters up this same hill at 50kmh... surely a 125cc will make it up there with ease? The hill isn't huge.. its no baldwin street!

Bike
    motocompo
    Sounds fully normal. Four of us caned those around Rarotonga earlier in the year, they all had that rattle & went pretty much as you described.
    You would be quite surprised at their off road capabilities & their wading depth for stream crossings too!

Bike
    Exercycle
    At that mileage and one novice owner, I'd look for carbon buildup in the exhaust port.
    Drop the pipe and see how much carbon has built up on the top edge and sides of the port.
    Carefully scrape it away - trying not to get much into the cylinder...

One shop here in ChCh during the 50cc boom in the 70's used to do a 5 minute tune up on them...Take it out the back into the alley and rev the tits off it for 5 minutes...This usually shook enough carbon out of the ex port to make a difference. One hour minimum charge out of course too....

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    At that mileage and one novice owner, I'd look for carbon buildup in the exhaust port.
    Drop the pipe and see how much carbon has built up on the top edge and sides of the port.
    Carefully scrape it away - trying not to get much into the cylinder...

One shop here in ChCh during the 50cc boom in the 70's used to do a 5 minute tune up on them...Take it out the back into the alley and rev the tits off it for 5 minutes...This usually shook enough carbon out of the ex port to make a difference. One hour minimum charge out of course too....
    She's a four stroke big fella.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    She's a four stroke big fella.
    Which, hint hint nudge nudge, are easier to turbo

Sounds like 50cc performance at a 125cc price tag.

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazz View Post
    Which, hint hint nudge nudge, are easier to turbo

Sounds like 50cc performance at a 125cc price tag.
    And to tear bits off & throw them in the garden in Rarotonga to make it go faster than your mates one, eh Nodrog?

Bike
    a red heap
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    And to tear bits off & throw them in the garden in Rarotonga to make it go faster than your mates one, eh Nodrog?
    it was my huge balls that made mine go faster.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    See - this is where gears help - change down and redline the little bugger.

I like the turbo idea.

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries
    I had the UZ125 and it would hang on pretty well on most hills. Maybe drop back to about 50-60kph on a long climb but they hold their speed (so to speak). Mine would hit 100kph on the flat but 80-90kph would be as fast as I would push it.

You don't live at the top of Baldwin st do you??
    " Rule books are for the Guidance of the Wise, and the Obedience of Fools"

Thread Information