Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: ACC proposals on motorcycle levies

Bike
    Kawasaki Vulcan

Post ACC proposals on motorcycle levies

Not sure if posted elsewhere, mods remove if already done.

Thought worth passing on, worth a read and comment.

https://www.shapeyouracc.co.nz/our-p...rcycle-levies/

Bike
    2010 Honda CB1000R Predator
    Blog Entries
    It feels more and more like riding a motorcycle is going to be for the more well off. It looks like they want to reduce the $30 levy to $25, decrease the levy on petrol, but increase the overall levy on motorcycles. They are trying to put the case it should be increased a lot.

Of the $14.5m paid into the safety fund it looks like we are going to spend $7m on roading projects. I don't understand why this fund is being used for roading projects. Roading for other projects gets paid for separately. Are pedestrians and cyclists going to be asked to pay for their roading projects? I think not.

Sigh.

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    what a load of politicing aids
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    A big Wheel, and a sponge bob scooter :P
    Not interested (...and I couldn't find the option to leave a "virtual turd" on there website )

I'm sure ACC will just ignore all the commonsense suggestions posted, and will just TELL us all what there new increase in charges are for...again!

Hence...there's a bike in my shed that hasn't seen a rego for quite some time now ...and its gonna stay that way till they can provide the cover they promise, and at a price that is not bordering on extortion! (That money is now paying for REAL health insurance that will actually cover me when the NEXT drunk driver tries to kill me)

And its the amount of motorcyclists NOT paying there rego anymore, that is the MAIN reason for this new BS "review"....there not worried about motorcyclists or the public they are ripping off...the lost income is hurting them!...and they want there profits back!...END OF STORY!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	56946547.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	104.6 KB 
ID:	316567

When Life thows me a curve
    ...I lean into it!

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Motorcycling brings a higher level of risk per kilometre travelled compared with other modes of transport.
    Vehicle licensing still not charged per kilometre you thunderous shitlords.

And I just love paying (allegedly) the highest levy bracket for my LAMS approved bike... safe!
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    Vehicle licensing still not charged per kilometre you thunderous shitlords.

And I just love paying (allegedly) the highest levy bracket for my LAMS approved bike... safe!
    Yep - my old GSX650 FU - over 600 CC bracket - made 40hp pays the same as my 'Busa - that makes close to 200, and pays more than a GSX-R600 that made 100 HP

Someone at ACC is a fuckwit.

Bike
    As many as I can get away with
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemonLord View Post
    EVERYone at ACC is a fuckwit.
    Fixed that for you....you're welcome

Bike
    As many as I can get away with
    Taken from that site.

"You will however receive a discount through the levy you pay on your petrol. Non-petrol driven motorcycles’ levies will reduce in line with the petrol levy decrease."

Like that's going to benefit a lot of us motorcyclists...most generous of them. You're right TDL they're

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I debated this subject some time back on here with the suggestion that car drivers who are at fault in motorbike crashes are charged the top motorcycle level premium for life but many on here thought that was unfair so nothing will change. It would be real simple to change too and result in a more careful attitude towards motorcyclists maybe. Under the present system all crashes are our own fault irrespective of whether another party was the cause. This Kiwibiker site is the wrong site to debate this as the majority support the status quo from my experience debating on here.
    you're a fucking moron. 'Debating' with you. Yeah. Right.

Bike
    a red heap
    I debated this subject some time back on here with the suggestion that car drivers who are at fault in motorbike crashes are charged the top motorcycle level premium for life but many on here thought that was unfair so nothing will change. It would be real simple to change too and result in a more careful attitude towards motorcyclists maybe. Under the present system all crashes are our own fault irrespective of whether another party was the cause. This Kiwibiker site is the wrong site to debate this as the majority support the status quo from my experience debating on here.
    I think you are retarted.

Bike
    a red heap
    No its you and the other poster who is retarded. Maybe it will take you being knocked off your bike by a car driver in the wrong to see the fault in your thinking about me.
    I think you need to go to The Derek Zoolander School for Kids Who Can't Read Good and Want to Do Other Stuff Good Too.

I said Retarted, I don't think you would make a fully funcitioning Retard.

Bike
    A big Wheel, and a sponge bob scooter :P
    No its you and the other poster who is retarded. Maybe it will take you being knocked off your bike by a car driver in the wrong to see the fault in your thinking about me.
    ...That mans been knocked off more bikes than you have had hot dinners mate...and yet...HE'S not the one on here constantly showing signs of brain damage!...go figure eh

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9d5.png 
Views:	28 
Size:	319.1 KB 
ID:	316568

When Life thows me a curve
    ...I lean into it!

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Woah! way to draw conclusions there.

There are 2 schools of thought (and I agree in part with both of them)

School one says that ACC should factor in fault in accidents and then adjust levies accordingly - I tend to subscribe more to this line of reasoning
    School two says that ACC's inception was based on a no fault everyone pays equally model and that the current ACC model is a bastardized hybrid between this and insurance, and should be brought back to it's founding principle (there is merit in this argument)

Me personally - I'm just working on an RPG based active protection system*, so that the next fucker that pulls out in front of me won't make the same mistake again... Ever.... and I will be safe and ride home, and the Car ACC rates will skyrocket.

*I may not actually be working on it, but it makes a nice idea to engage in a little hypothetical thought experiment and some reducto ad absurdium about the inherent failings of current ACC policy.

Bike
    a red heap
    what if I'm a motorcyclist who ran over a car? do I pay 150%?

what if I'm a motorcyclist who ran over another motorcyclist while driving a car? do I pay 200%?

what if I'm a motorcyclist who ran over another motorcyclist while riding a Lams approved Harley Davidson ? do I pay 400%?

Do I get a discount if I take out a bus with my motorcycle?

What if I run out onto a pedestrian crossing and clothesline a motorcyclist? do I get a 100% discount, and bonus points?

What if I run you over in my car, stop to see if you are alive, find out you have only got a broken arm, realise I'm going to get expensive rego, so I reverse back over you several times so you are dead, then I just blame you? Do I get flybuys?

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    At last someone who is not retarded and can see the logic in my argument (School one) With your School two comment in order to overturn the now no longer original plan of everyone paying the same that would require ACC to face a challenge in the High Court to overturn their current practise. I would imagine such a challenge would be thrown out on the grounds that no govt policy can be enforced in a way as to remain in place forever otherwise all other govt dept changes eg welfare would be challenged in the same way.
    Hang on a second - before putting words in my mouth, I don't agree with your theory, it's Arbitrary and unreasonable (just like your views of speed and what is fast vs too fast) your second point is a massive strawman "if department A reverts a policy change, then all departments that have ever made a policy change will have to revert as well" - what a load of Claptrap!

Nodrog's critique of your idea is a good place to start.

ACC needs to do things better (a good place to start would be separating the registered Motorbike accidents from all the un-registered Motorbike accidents) then seeing how the cost of Motocycles compares, then do an analysis of fault vs cost.

I would hazard a guess that if a car is involved, the cost will increase - it would be interesting to see what the data tells us in terms of cost of injury vs fault.

Thread Information