Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Iam nz

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    Are they necessarily? There was a story in the news some months back expressing concern about the number of police cars getting written off. Lets not forget the highly publicised crash where a police car did a U turn in front of 2 motorbikes.
    Yes; necessarily so, in fact.
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    M109R, GS1200ss, RMX450Z, ZX-12R
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Not taking notice of the brake lights of the car ahead ... or cars parked on the left of the road with their (right) indicator on ... cars approaching with their right indicator on ... cars waiting to pull out into your intended path ... has a great deal to do with observation ...
    god I hope that isn't all you're looking for in those scenarios, there's plenty out there that don't know what the funny stalks on their steering columns are for; and plenty of vehicles that haven't got lights & indicators that work period
    Preemptive anticipation calculates a hell of a lot more than basic signs for dummies.

Bike
    The problem with taking notice of a car on the side of the road with their indicator on is you run the risk of being rear ended by stopping in the middle of the road to let them in. So observing one thing in the hope of not getting hit could leave you exposed to being hit by something else.
    you are fucking unbelievable!

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Often certain situations can appear unbelieveable to others unless they have to face them themselves
    This goes both ways, you can't believe it is possible to ride safely because you lack the capability; if you realised that, took the time to learn safe riding practices, you would beleive in avoidable accidents would you not?
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    Often certain situations can appear unbelieveable to others unless they have to face them themselves
    we've all seen plenty of your distorted perception of reality.....the lenses in your rose coloured glasses must be a pretty fucked up shade

Bike
    It was on the good
    The problem with taking notice of a car on the side of the road with their indicator on is you run the risk of being rear ended by stopping in the middle of the road to let them in.
    Who in their right mind would stop to let them in? You need to be ready to stop (or slow, or move) in case they don't see you. And if they do pull out then what's behind you is irrelevant because you need to avoid the primary hazard in front of you. You're very hard work.

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Perhaps it is time for a mod to move a few posts?

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...s-from-Cassina

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    But isnt stopping to let them in the only way of guranteeing they wont hit you when they pull out? There is no black and white solution even if you think there is. In such a situation I try and ride the centre line of the road if possible so I have more time to hopefully get out of the way. I was hit once not riding the centre line during an overtake so maybe riding the centre line may be safer.
    Yeesh... I'm not going to respond to much, but let's try one.

First, there is no definite position A on the road for situation 1. Your position on the road is dictated by the information available, and so therefore, your position is fluid. You take advantage of your motorcycle's manoeuvrability vs a car, to put yourself in the best possible position (note, this position changes - see ref to information above).

So, take the hypothetical situation of a vehicle pulling out. You have right of way, so are entitled to continue past. You have the choice to waive this right and slow to let the car in. Before you do any such action, you take stock of the situation. All vehicles in the vicinity (oncoming, your way, in front of you, behind you and so forth) and other hazards that may be applicable. If you have someone following close behind you, it is unlikely that the best course of action is to stop (and then get rammed from behind). Any slowing down should be accompanied by a mirror check to make sure it is safe to do so. You'd be better to slow up, and create a gap for them to pull into, than stop dead on the road (good forward observation can allow you to start creating the gap early and allow it to build as you approach the vehicle). If however, you completely stopped, you would maintain rear observation to observe any approaching vehicles and make sure they've realised you've stopped. In my experience, I've had so little success at allowing a vehicle into a space I've created, I don't do this as often as I could.

So as you approach the car you're asking yourself, what can you see, what can't you see, and what can you reasonably expect to happen. What options have you got? Is it a multi-lane road, and if so, is the lane next to you clear in case you need it? You're planning all this prior to reaching the car rather than trying to figure this all out as the worst happens. Next, are you following other vehicles (in which case it's less likely the vehicle will pull out). Have you been riding in such a position as to observe their mirrors, and thus them, to give yourself maximum opportunity to be seen? Are you hidden behind the vehicles and with nothing behind you, they may suddenly pull out (had this, and had to swerve around the front of the vehicle as it suddenly pulled out).

You're also assessing the vehicle. What angle are the wheels, are the reverse lights on? Have they just applied the brake, or released it?

You'll be completing all of the above in no more than 1-2 seconds and still be assessing all other hazards on the road.

Ultimately, during your riding/driving you are an active road user. Managing your safety bubble (the immediate area around you in including vehicles) and assessing hazards/risks and taking appropriate action. Simple things like not braking suddenly which risks the vehicle behind you having to brake suddenly. Good forward observation and planning allows you to ease up early and slow the vehicles behind you gently... a much safer approach.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Roadstar 1600 & Royal Star Venture
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Not sure if that was ever the case but in the last 5 years that I've been involved, both serving and retired police have been heavily involved with IAM. This years' annual conference was held at National Police College at Porirua. Their top instructors worked with attending members on all manner of skills, including on-road and training ground skills. Outstanding!

Have to agree with you regarding lifesavers/head checks. When we carry out initial assessments for prospective members, lack of head checks at critical points are the most common area for improvement. This is part of an overall lack of situational awareness.
    Understood, they are involved with the IAM, and that is good to read. I was going off the various discussions where 'rastus' used to gnash his teeth over this. I guess coming from the UK, I was used to seeing Police riders involved at 'grass roots' level. I did my initial riding training under the RCA/ACU scheme in the late 70's, and even then there was a Police rider involved with the 'full licence' holder 'higher' training.
    The Popo were involved in the 'star rider' courses, I think the new ACC scheme is similar to what that was, {bronze, silver, gold}. Sadly it seems the Police here see little benefit to having a 'decently sized' M/cycle division..
    If the road to hell is paved with good intentions; and a man is judged by his deeds and his actions, why say it's the thought that counts? -GrayWolf

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    The problem with taking notice of a car on the side of the road with their indicator on is you run the risk of being rear ended by stopping in the middle of the road to let them in. So observing one thing in the hope of not getting hit could leave you exposed to being hit by something else.
    How have you made it to being an adult?
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    You are yet to find yourself in the situation where things can happen just too fast to do anything. For example there was an accident reported when a guy was coming around a bent on his bike and was hit by a turning truck or you come around a bend and there is a car on your side of the road. When the situation is the fault of likely someone else shit can still happen irrespective of how many hazards you think you have noticed and been able to take corrective action eg swerve around.
    Re-read post #79.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    Its a Boat
    You are yet to find yourself in the situation where things can happen just too fast to do anything. For example there was an accident reported when a guy was coming around a bent on his bike and was hit by a turning truck or you come around a bend and there is a car on your side of the road. When the situatio
    is the fault of likely someone else shit can still happen irrespective of how many hazards you think you have noticed and been able to take corrective action eg swerve around.
    Sometimes it's luck that plays a part in a sudden situation, how you manage that luck dictates the outcome. You'll have the click of a finger to decide and manage if you live or die.

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayWolf View Post
    The Popo were involved in the 'star rider' courses, I think the new ACC scheme is similar to what that was, {bronze, silver, gold}. Sadly it seems the Police here see little benefit to having a 'decently sized' M/cycle division..
    The police are really supportive and I think you'll see direct involvement grow even more. We regularly have serving police joining in with month-end runs. As an amusing aside, I sat my Advanced Test in 2011 and the Examiner was a serving police officer who was ex class-1 bikes and cars from the UK. He was really enjoying his "social" day and my test lasted for 4 hours and covered 220 km of city, urban, motorway and country riding - that's still an IAM record . I was buggered!

Bike
    It was on the good
    You are yet to find yourself in the situation where things can happen just too fast to do anything. For example there was an accident reported when a guy was coming around a bent on his bike and was hit by a turning truck or you come around a bend and there is a car on your side of the road. When the situation is the fault of likely someone else shit can still happen irrespective of how many hazards you think you have noticed and been able to take corrective action eg swerve around.
    I like how you implied that the truck driver was at fault there but your failure to consider that the rider may have contributed in many cases is pretty much par for the course.

Bike
    MT-10
    In those situations the trick is to speed up and mount the pavement. No risk of collision on the road.

Thread Information