Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Iam nz

Bike
    Triumph Tiger 1050se
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up Iam nz

If you have done your local ACC sponsored courses etc, and wonder what next for road riding skills, check out IAM. Check online at UK videos of police pursuit riders and their riding systems. This is the basis of IAM.

NZ site http://iam.org.nz/motorcycles/
    Stuff everything...I've always got my bike.

Bike
    Roadstar 1600 & Royal Star Venture
    Quote Originally Posted by tamarillo View Post
    If you have done your local ACC sponsored courses etc, and wonder what next for road riding skills, check out IAM. Check online at UK videos of police pursuit riders and their riding systems. This is the basis of IAM.

NZ site http://iam.org.nz/motorcycles/
    I've said this exact thing many times. Sadly, most here are far more interested in learning from 'track day' riding skills so they can 'go faster', rather than actual 'roadcraft'. They refuse to 'see' that track riding skills are not always the best thing on the highway.
    If the road to hell is paved with good intentions; and a man is judged by his deeds and his actions, why say it's the thought that counts? -GrayWolf

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayWolf View Post
    I've said this exact thing many times. Sadly, most here are far more interested in learning from 'track day' riding skills so they can 'go faster', rather than actual 'roadcraft'. They refuse to 'see' that track riding skills are not always the best thing on the highway.
    Roadcraft is no good to you if you cant get the motorcycle round the corner.

To the OP, you might want to say what IAM is so that dont can understand what you are on about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    With a few basic skills any bozo can get a bike around a corner.

Track time does very little to teach a person good observational skills and situational awareness - or for that matter, good old fashioned restraint.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    However, reading a corner (forward observation, vanishing point, and position) is certainly part of getting a motorcycle around a corner, and that is indeed roadcraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    However, reading a corner (forward observation, vanishing point, and position) is certainly part of getting a motorcycle around a corner, and that is indeed roadcraft.
    Dont disagree of course. In fact all of which is part of Trackcraft if you want to call it that.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayWolf View Post
    Perhaps if they painted a centerline on the track (and you were restricted to the left lane) ... and had random vehicles coming the other way ... it might seem more real ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Sold
    Isn't it about time Cassina made an appearance?

Bike
    M109R, GS1200ss, RMX450Z, ZX-12R
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Isn't it about time Cassina made an appearance?
    Probably saw the thread name and thought it was someone being self-absorbed

Bike
    Triumph Tiger 1050se
    Blog Entries

To the OP, you might want to say what IAM is so that dont can understand what you are on about.
    Well, I figure if any rider has any motivation to improve there road riding, they could follow the link. There are some very good videos on YouTube and uk IAM site too.

As for getting around the corner, well I'll agree that the place to learn about your hikes capabilities and safe cornering ability is the track, and have enjoyed days there in training myself.
    But the road is very different place, and once you know you can use the ability of your bike, next you need to learn where to be on road, how to identify and react to hazards etc etc.

Many a good experienced rider, one who is thought of as one to learn from, has found huge improvement from road craft training.

An ex UK police pursuit rider on his ST1300 makes a mockery of some of these so called experienced riders on smaller agile bikes over the takaka hill.

A friend commented that I take my riding seriously (I was in midst of the IAM work at time) and asked if its still fun. I thought about that and replied : hell yes I have huge fun, but riding a motorcycle on a public road is a bloody stupid thing to do when you think about how vulnerable we are, and how often we crash when it's all our own fault. So if I'm going to do something that stupid I better take it seriously.
    I now enjoy my riding more than ever, and am still learning.

Each to their own, but truly believing you've got nothing to learn is the single biggest factor in likely hood of crashing, IMO.
    Stuff everything...I've always got my bike.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Maha View Post
    100% agree with this, I would assess that perhaps 80% of those who attend track days do so for the fun factor.

Better rider training places than a track ie: the road, where the real shit happens. Thousands of road cones there, but you are not supposed to slalom through them.
    What was the last training you did?

Bike
    2007 Suzuki SV1000s

You're obviously very well trained in the butchery of written english

Bike
    Its a Boat
    What was the last training you did?
    Rotorua Marathon.

Bike
    a red heap
    Iam Weasel

Bike
    Mine
    Quote Originally Posted by tamarillo View Post
    .. riding a motorcycle on a public road is a bloody stupid thing to do when you think about how vulnerable we are,
    Bullshit. By this reasoning living is a bloody stupid thing to do.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

Thread Information