Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pros and cons of aftermarket suspension for non-track use

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    I've just given up. Well for the time being at least.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Why would you own a bus and only commute or take a pillion?
    If you ride for fun it will make it better to upgrade. Esp if the suspension is say 20k plus (worn jap). Or you have a big powerful bike. Or you are smaller or larger than what they had in mind.
    It's been my Dream bike since I was in my early Teens - now I ride my Dream Bike - it does everything I ask of it and has plenty more to offer.

Currently its at 52,000 Km, and I am definitely weight wise larger than what they had in mind (by almost a factor of 2...)

Guess I will have to start saving for a set - but if what you say is true about tyre wear then it should be a sensible investment.

Another question - I keep hearing about KSS and Mr Taylor (and nothing but good things mind) - so if I was to get the suspension setup for me for my day-to-day ride, would he also be able to advise how and what to adjust on the suspension when going 2 up (assuming I gave him the weight of said pillion)?
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemonLord View Post

Another question - I keep hearing about KSS and Mr Taylor (and nothing but good things mind) - so if I was to get the suspension setup for me for my day-to-day ride, would he also be able to advise how and what to adjust on the suspension when going 2 up (assuming I gave him the weight of said pillion)?
    Yes. That will come down to added preload and comp. Both will be external adjusters.But it will always be a compromise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Nearly all big name suspension is better than stock. Shop around, but buy local from a licensed agent. That way you get it speced for you, and good after sales service.

On a Busa, I'd be having my standard gear rebuilt with decent internals. The shock body will accept any number of decent piston/valve combinations at a fraction the cost of full replacement. And with forks it's accepted as the only way to go unless you wanna spend $10k.

Bryce does Ktech in my neck of the woods, and the bulk of his work consists of upgrading OEM stuff.

Bike
    Blandit 1200, DRZ250 K, Beta xtrainer
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Nearly all big name suspension is better than stock. Shop around, but buy local from a licensed agent. That way you get it speced for you, and good after sales service.

On a Busa, I'd be having my standard gear rebuilt with decent internals. The shock body will accept any number of decent piston/valve combinations at a fraction the cost of full replacement. And with forks it's accepted as the only way to go unless you wanna spend $10k.

Bryce does Ktech in my neck of the woods, and the bulk of his work consists of upgrading OEM stuff.
    This is good advice. Suzuki GSXR shocks seem a sound design and respond well to revalving and springing for weight, same with the front, and at a decidedly affordable price. I have had RT do this to two bikes so far-best $$ spent. Ring Robert and discuss your options.

Thread Information