Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Triumph Thruxton 1199R

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Eh 55hp? that's less than the current one? Maybe it's rear wheel hp not crank?

Bike
    77' CB750 Cafe Racer, 2009 Z750
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    59 ft/lb at 3000 RPM. Probably still more than enough for the customers it's aimed it. Would be enough for me just to punt around on.
    I love the smell of twin V16's in the morning..

Bike
    Must be the LAMS approved model.

Bike
    mutton dressed up as lamb and a 73 XL250
    Ive an old shibox japper that i can whip the fairing off and drop the bars,not only will it sound better/look better it will actually go betternot sure if it likes short jaunts and fancy coffee though.If you factor in the weight of the fat cunt that would buy such a thiing then triple it for the weight of his mrs....
    Be the person your dog thinks you are...

Bike
    Roadstar 1600 & Royal Star Venture
    Quote Originally Posted by 98tls View Post
    Ive an old shibox japper that i can whip the fairing off and drop the bars,not only will it sound better/look better it will actually go betternot sure if it likes short jaunts and fancy coffee though.If you factor in the weight of the fat cunt that would buy such a thiing then triple it for the weight of his mrs....
    Having owned an MT-01 {still do till it's sold} it isnt about 'ultimate' performance. I Stage 2'd mine {equiv of the thruxton to the standard bonnie}. Best way to describe it, it's the 'assault' on the senses, vibration, throbbing, torque, exhaust sound, the feel of it being a 'REAL' motorcycle. As for sound? With aftermarket pipes, no 4 cyl japper is going to sound like it. The shop selling my MT on behalf LOVE firing it up, deep, sonorous, and absolutely sounds nicer than the 'nasty crack' a HD has with straight through pipes. The Thruxton will be about smiles per mile as well, and I'll put money it will hit the spot.
    Like the MT-01, you either 'get it' or you dont.
    If the road to hell is paved with good intentions; and a man is judged by his deeds and his actions, why say it's the thought that counts? -GrayWolf

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Thruxton is a 1200 - it 'should' have a easy 80 hp and globs of torque. The new 900 appears to have lost hp!

Ultimate hp is not the goal of these rides or the owners but 55hp from a 900 is Harley domain and the torque figure is not that impressive.

The MT01 you speak of has 89 hp and 110 ft-lbs.

That's what I would be expecting from the 1200 after the press release.

The 'new' 900 .........

Disappointing.

Nice learner bike for the USA I guess.

And they will sound like a sparrow fart with stock pipes probably the existing Bonnie does. More disappointment.

HAPPY TO BE PROVEN WRONG

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayWolf View Post
    The Thruxton will be about smiles per mile as well, and I'll put money it will hit the spot.
    Exactly . To a point, performance is largely irrelevant. It's selling nostalgia. Growing up in the UK, I rode an old pre-unit Tiger 100 in all weathers, lusted after an original Thruxton, saw Malcolm Uphill win the '69 TT production race on one. For me, it's the emotional connection with my formative riding years so I'd happily buy one on that basis.

Pity I've just bought a GSX-S

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    To be honest Triumph were in a no-win situation with the replacement Bonnies. Purists don't like having a radiator and others don't think it's fast/powerful enough.

Personally I think they have the balance right and I like the fact that they have made a 900 as well as the 1200 models. My current T100 strikes a cracking balance between nostalgia, performance and price and I will be looking at a T120 (Or a Thruxton, depends on the riding position) in a year or two's time. If power and torque figures alone sold bikes then H-D would have gone out of business years ago.

As for Norton's 961 models - They are selling to a different customer TBH. I owned one in the UK before emigrating here to NZ. My verdict - It sounded nice, looked the business but never idled properly and Norton all but admitted that they couldn't fix it so I went and bought a new T100 Black instead. At least this one actually works properly...

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayWolf View Post
    Having owned an MT-01 {still do till it's sold} it isnt about 'ultimate' performance. I Stage 2'd mine {equiv of the thruxton to the standard bonnie}. Best way to describe it, it's the 'assault' on the senses, vibration, throbbing, torque, exhaust sound, the feel of it being a 'REAL' motorcycle. As for sound? With aftermarket pipes, no 4 cyl japper is going to sound like it. The shop selling my MT on behalf LOVE firing it up, deep, sonorous, and absolutely sounds nicer than the 'nasty crack' a HD has with straight through pipes. The Thruxton will be about smiles per mile as well, and I'll put money it will hit the spot.
    Guess i dont then,as for sound? theres plenty of jap V twins that will sound far better aftermarket pipes or not.Thing i dont get most about this thing is what its supposed to represent...speed and performance.This things a big fail though hey it does look the part so am guessing it will sell well as lets face it in todays world it isnt about what it can do tis far more important just to look like it could.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    The 'correct' sound is a debate that will go on for decades to come until the internal combustion engine is replaced by electric - then motorcyclists will compare wattage or armature designs or something in relationship to the best sound ....

You cannot deny the howl of a piped IL4 at 12,000 rpm raises the neck hair, likewise a rowdy V twin can sound just right. And need I mention a triple? Screaming power band two-stroke anyone? Thumping single where you can almost count the power strokes?

All good in my books.

Unfortunately in many countries also a thing of the past with noise enforcement. NZ is indeed one of the free still.

Bike
    So we are all agreed then..its a turd albeit a pretty one (as pretty as a turd can be).

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    I had a 04 Thruxton for a few months, did a couple of ART days and a Superbike School on it, sold it as a really cheap ( $1100) R65 that went just as well came my way, could rev to 8000 and I did not have to worry about bike dealers, servicing costs, resale, damaging it etc.
    I hate depreciation and high Rego costs.

Be interesting if there was a HP meter you could put on your bike to see how much you used as you rode.
    Be impressed to see if anyone could use much more than 50 HP other than the odd bit of overtaking.
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    09 Bonneville, 79 SR500
    Ride, review, and some more specs here. This is for the 900cc Speed Twin still, not the 1200's. Reads a bit like an info-mercial to me.

Interesting comments from a few people on here slagging off the Bonnies. Fair enough if you don't like them, don't buy one. Mine certainly doesn't have as much power or handle as well as well as the Ducati I had prior to it, but I enjoy riding it more. I've spent a bit upgrading the suspension, air in, and exhaust out, and it performs much better than stock, and sounds much better. The physical size suits me better than anything else I've had, as I'm a short arse, and I find it to be an all round fun bike to ride whether it's a ride in city traffic, a play in the twisties, or a long haul to a rally. A bit more power would be nice, and some further handling improvements would also be nice. The Bonnie range has certainly sold well for Triumph, so there must be more to them for people than just nostalgic appearance.

I was looking forward to the new range coming out to get those further improvements, but for the price that it looks as though the Thruxton will be, I'd rather keep what I've got and continue to tweek it. Time will tell. I certainly won't be buying the 1st of a new model though.
    The views expressed above may not match yours - But that's the reason my Dad went to war - wasn't it?
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, .... but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out,... shouting "man, what a ride"!!!

Bike
    1980 Yamaha RD/H2 750
    Quote Originally Posted by far queue;
    Time will tell. I certainly won't be buying the 1st of a new model though.

So, what went wrong with the 1st year retro Bonnevilles?

They aint in the same category as those dodgy retro 'Garner' Norton Commandos, surely?

& is there really an issue with `78 SR 500s - that the `79s - don't share?

Bike
    1969 Honda S90
    According to the Nov issue of Motorcycle Trader magazine (Straylian) the Thruxton and Thruxton R develop 112Nm of torque at 4950 which is a higher rev range than the other new Trumpies.Still no mention of HP a la HD's marketing (or embarrassment).Pricing for the std Thruxton is given at AU$18700 and the R at AU$21100-I now ask what these will be in NZ,when the new Honda CB1300 came out a mate of mine bought one in Sydney for Au$10200 on road,he could have got me one for less than $10000 still in the box FOB Sydney.The NZ Honda dealers were asking nearly $18,000-Go figure.

Thread Information