Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Triumph Thruxton 1199R

Bike
    1969 Honda S90
    As these are a new bike-chassis,motor etc with expected arrivals in NZ between Jan and April,I wonder what price the 2015 Bonnies can currently be bought for,could be some good deals out there.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
    According to the Nov issue of Motorcycle Trader magazine (Straylian) the Thruxton and Thruxton R develop 112Nm of torque at 4950
    That'd mean it makes at least 78 hp.

Bike
    Roadstar 1600 & Royal Star Venture
    Quote Originally Posted by 98tls View Post
    So we are all agreed then..its a turd albeit a pretty one (as pretty as a turd can be).
    Troll much???
    If the road to hell is paved with good intentions; and a man is judged by his deeds and his actions, why say it's the thought that counts? -GrayWolf

Bike
    Roadstar 1600 & Royal Star Venture
    Guess i dont then,as for sound? theres plenty of jap V twins that will sound far better aftermarket pipes or not.Thing i dont get most about this thing is what its supposed to represent...speed and performance.This things a big fail though hey it does look the part so am guessing it will sell well as lets face it in todays world it isnt about what it can do tis far more important just to look like it could.
    It's a 'memory lane' roadtrip. It will be faster {and more reliable} than the original Thruxton. That's it's point, the look, 'feel' etc of a 1960's {real} motorcycle, WITHOUT the prince of darkness and a toolkit on the back.
    HD as much as I am not a fan of the marque, do an outstanding 'sales pitch' based on the legacy of yesterday. As I said about the MT-01, it isnt about 'ultimate' performance. That's also why bikes like the CB1300, GS1400, XJR and the ZXR1200 sold, they were/are a re-visit of the early 1980's 'fast bikes' with the advantage of modern technology.
    If the road to hell is paved with good intentions; and a man is judged by his deeds and his actions, why say it's the thought that counts? -GrayWolf

Bike
    77' CB750 Cafe Racer, 2009 Z750
    Guess i dont then,as for sound? theres plenty of jap V twins that will sound far better aftermarket pipes or not.Thing i dont get most about this thing is what its supposed to represent...speed and performance.This things a big fail though hey it does look the part so am guessing it will sell well as lets face it in todays world it isnt about what it can do tis far more important just to look like it could.
    Your missing the point - it represents nostalgia. Speed and Performance is represented in the sports bike section.
    I love the smell of twin V16's in the morning..

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jonbuoy View Post
    Your missing the point - it represents nostalgia. Speed and Performance is represented in the sports bike section.
    Ah - I'll open with a reminder that if they had done the 1200 (or similar) update a year back they may have got my money.

Re nostalgia - the thing is the Triumph was in it's day a SPORT bike - light, fast and ready to take on anything.

They had room for the existing softer nostalgia trip - what they missed and I was pissed off back then with the original retro release of the Thruxton was it should have been a hot rod twin with performance way above the standard models.

Never mind they appear to have corrected that now - just lost a sale on the way, but looking at the new Thruxton probably pick em up three fold :-)

Price in NZ? I'll guess $20 and $24-25 for the 1200's

I presume the current model will be phased out quickly and the new 900 be the starter?

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Ah - I'll open with a reminder that if they had done the 1200 (or similar) update a year back they may have got my money.

Re nostalgia - the thing is the Triumph was in it's day a SPORT bike - light, fast and ready to take on anything.

They had room for the existing softer nostalgia trip - what they missed and I was pissed off back then with the original retro release of the Thruxton was it should have been a hot rod twin with performance way above the standard models.

Never mind they appear to have corrected that now - just lost a sale on the way, but looking at the new Thruxton probably pick em up three fold :-)

Price in NZ? I'll guess $20 and $24-25 for the 1200's

I presume the current model will be phased out quickly and the new 900 be the starter?
    I wonder if the arse will drop out of the air cooled ones like they did to the 70's Triumphs?

I don't know about nostalgia, making a throttle body look like a Monoblock....
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post

I don't know about nostalgia, making a throttle body look like a Monoblock....
    Yeah - thought it was good on the air cooled ones when they went injection but think of it as a gimmick on the 'new' ones - the minimal look of the injector units would have complimented the cafe look. And they are water cooled now too so why try to hide the tech?

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Yeah - thought it was good on the air cooled ones when they went injection but think of it as a gimmick on the 'new' ones - the minimal look of the injector units would have complimented the cafe look. And they are water cooled now too so why try to hide the tech?
    Nostalgia is big with motorcycles, Triumph, Harley and more recently Ducati and Guzzi all doing it.
    I've got a Triumph brochure showing the beautiful cool young people out riding and sitting at a cafe.....was it ever like that?

DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    09 Bonneville, 79 SR500
    Quote Originally Posted by J.A.W. View Post
    So, what went wrong with the 1st year retro Bonnevilles?

They aint in the same category as those dodgy retro 'Garner' Norton Commandos, surely?

& is there really an issue with `78 SR 500s - that the `79s - don't share?
    It's not uncommon for new models of all sorts of stuff, not just bikes, to have teething problems. The manufacturers then fix the niggles that come up in the subsequent years, as well as providing fixes for the 1st model. They don't all have problems, it's just that I prefer others to find any niggles that may crop up. No matter how much testing a factory does, customers can often find new issues, however minor.

'01-'08 Bonnies had an issue with breaking rear wheel spokes, which was cured with a hub redesign for '09, so it took them a while to fix that one.

I understand that '78 and '79 SR500's are the same as each other. The rear brake was changed to a drum in '80, because people keep locking up the rear and arsing off. That's more "pilot error" though, and probably Yamaha not wanting to get sued by the yanks.
    The views expressed above may not match yours - But that's the reason my Dad went to war - wasn't it?
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, .... but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out,... shouting "man, what a ride"!!!

Bike
    mutton dressed up as lamb and a 73 XL250
    So they name a bike after a famous race track but its not intended to represent anything to do with speed and performance as a pastime motorcycling has changed some from when i started out but jesus H Crazy old world.Whats the R stand for..retirement?
    Be the person your dog thinks you are...

Bike
    77' CB750 Cafe Racer, 2009 Z750
    So they name a bike after a famous race track but its not intended to represent anything to do with speed and performance as a pastime motorcycling has changed some from when i started out but jesus H Crazy old world.Whats the R stand for..retirement?
    I'd say that's pretty much it's target age group. A Sportster isn't really sporty either - doesn't stop them selling. It's just an upright cruiser with a nod to past.
    I love the smell of twin V16's in the morning..

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Ever noticed who drives around in Porsches and Ferrari's?....

They should name bikes properly.

The Triumph WeakEnder....spends most of its time in the garage and parked outside cafes.

The Norton Left of the Kids Inheritance.....exclusive costs

Harley Davidson Thunderchrome..... shiny and makes lots of noise.

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
    Ever noticed who drives around in Porsches and Ferrari's?....

They should name bikes properly.

The Triumph WeakEnder....spends most of its time in the garage and parked outside cafes.

The Norton Left of the Kids Inheritance.....exclusive costs

Harley Davidson Thunderchrome..... shiny and makes lots of noise.
    The "Lifan Cheesalloy"
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    mutton dressed up as lamb and a 73 XL250
    I'd say that's pretty much it's target age group. A Sportster isn't really sporty either - doesn't stop them selling. It's just an upright cruiser with a nod to past.
    Uh huh...just because something sells dont make it right.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11417320_670467013055033_2032960711_n.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	57.7 KB 
ID:	318045  
    Be the person your dog thinks you are...

Thread Information