Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can i put a wider rear tyre on a Suzuki fxr 150?

Bike
    Yamaha Fzx 250 Zeal, Suzuki Fxr 150
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmoot View Post
    I hear wide tyres are alot more stable at high speeds, Most of my riding is on highways at the speed "limit" of "100".
    At 140+ it would make a difference. At your speed it won't matter much.

also on alot of roads where I live there are these weird groves like rubber tar seal and when I go over them the wheel seems to get stuck in it and causes the bike to wiggle around alot
    Wider tyres also share the same issues. Tar seal lines are just bad.

I hear the bike will be more stable with a wider rear tyre around corners because it will have more of a contact patch to grip on
    Yes, but it must be a match to the rim width. Fitting oversized tyres on skinny rims won't give you that.

I just absolutely hate, hate, HATE the look of that tiny little 100width tyre
    This is the primary reason, isn't it? 120 vs 100 won't make much difference though.

im asking if its possible and from another thread I heard a guy used a 130/70/17 rear tyre on his fxr but I was not sure if he had customized it or not.
    It is possible, technically. Just not a good idea. Won't handle well enough.
    Unless you change the rims.

Or get an oldie but goodie CBR250RR.
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-973458735.htm

"This is the primary reason, isn't it? 120 vs 100 won't make much difference though."
    Honestly its around 40-50% of the reason

that cbr250 is WAY over priced, even if it is the sought after MC22 its still over 20 years old and has near 100,000km on it for a bike. Could get a 45HP model 250 bandit on trade me, theres a few of them on there and in my opinion look alot better. got a friend that has a 250 bandit and a friend that has a FZR 250 and when you see the FZR 250 you can tell its a 250 but when you look at the bandit from about 10 feet away it looks like a 600 until you get up close and see the size of the engine it self and since they have no farrings then its less things that could break, seen them go for $2000- $3000 max. But, right now being 17 and a half and only making around $150 a week its hard to just maintain the bike when it comes to buying new tyres or a new chain etc so getting any other bike right now is a pipe dream, Im stuck with this bike until I save up enough and fix it up to sell on for $1200-$1500

Bike
    Something red and quick
    That's how much mc22 goes for. Give and take $500 ish depending on condition.
    Still a very potent fast bike. Not sure if it should even be learners legal

Ya, bike with wide tyres are never cheap. Tyre width is probably one of the sign that is directly correlated to both bike price and running cost. Mostly running cost...
    I have one with 200 rear section tyre, and another with 180 rear section tyre. The one with 200 rear cost around 3x to run.
    Elite Fight Club - Proudly promoting common sense and safe riding since 2024
    http://1199s.wordpress.com

Bike
    89 GS500, 89 ZXR400, 93 RGV250, 14 MT07
    Look into putting a 120/70/17 front tyre on the back of it, that will give you heaps of tyre options. Just need to run the tyre backwards.

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Quote Originally Posted by Asher View Post
    Look into putting a 120/70/17 front tyre on the back of it, that will give you heaps of tyre options. Just need to run the tyre backwards.
    That might be all well and good on the track but if the tyre isn't specifically marked as being able to be run in either direction then the OP may have difficulties come WOF time.

Bike
    bandit
    Quote Originally Posted by atom608 View Post
    also I hear the bike will be more stable with a wider rear tyre around corners because it will have more of a contact patch to grip on,
    I put wider tyres on a bike a while ago - I would put the bike into a corner not knowing where the hell it would come out of the corner (or if it would actually come out of the corner) Scarey shit - I went back to the standard size real quick ...

So no - not necessarily true ..
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmoot View Post
    That's how much mc22 goes for. Give and take $500 ish depending on condition.
    Apparently it's not, because that particular one has been on there for 3 almost years that I know of

Nothing wrong with a 150. Bike is a bike. They're all awesome to some extent.

Bike
    bike sold :-(
    I got a 2002 suzuki FXR 150 and I am wondering if its posible to fit a wider rear tyre on the rim? the dimensions of the tyre I am running now is 100/90-17, is it possible to fit like a 130 on there?
    do not put a 130 on your fxr. A 130 is to large for the rim and will make the bike unstable, wear out faster than the correct size and offer you less grip due the profile of the tyre being stuffed. I use to sell motorcycle tyres for a living so have just a little bit of experience. Stick with the correct size, if you have to go with the bigger is better mentality (and with motorcycle tyres it is not) go no larger than 110 wide.

Bike
    Yamaha Fzx 250 Zeal, Suzuki Fxr 150
    Thanks for all the feedback, I think I will stick with the 100 width ones I currently run.

Bike
    CBR250RR
    Thanks for all the feedback, I think I will stick with the 100 width ones I currently run.
    I have a brand new set of Duro Racing Brand tyres for sale, I have them on my CBR150 but no good for the track,
    Front 90/80-17
    Rear 100/90/17
    $100 for both of them $10 courier.
    Let me know if ya interested,

Bike
    Rattlecan blue
    We run wider tyres on FXR buckets, mainly because that is the only size you can get slicks in, however to get the best out of them you have to fit wider rims. Pinched slicks on standard rims lead to slightly odd handling and you end up with a chicken strip about an inch wide that you can't get close to using without riding off the side of them. Stickiest tries you will find are the BT39ss leave it at that.
    Stock is best

Bike
    TZFXR150, R1150GS, DRZ400, Ninja300 prod
    A 3" GSXR250 rim fits with minimal modification and you will be able to run a 130 rear....... BT39's on standard rims is easier and you wont run into WOF issues

Its harder to lose weight than gain horsepower.

Bike
    ---2000 Triumph SprintT
    Not at all a good idea. I experimented with wider rear tyre on my restored CB750 circa 1973 model..back in 2010. Went from the stock 100mm or so up to 120mm. The only differences I found - I chewed out centre faster (squared off)..and found turning into corners was worsened - not improved...Straight ahead stability was not changed that I noticed.

Thread Information