Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can i put a wider rear tyre on a Suzuki fxr 150?

Bike
    Yamaha Fzx 250 Zeal, Suzuki Fxr 150

Can i put a wider rear tyre on a Suzuki fxr 150?

I got a 2002 suzuki FXR 150 and I am wondering if its posible to fit a wider rear tyre on the rim? the dimensions of the tyre I am running now is 100/90-17, is it possible to fit like a 130 on there?

Bike
    72 Kawasaki A7, 05 Kawasaki W650
    ....uh, why?

Bike
    S1000RR
    Because FXRs are too powerful it'll need more rear grip?

If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

Bike
    Get yer mums fabric ruler out, have a squiz and take some measurements for yourself man. I doubt it.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Swingarm and chain clearance are going to be an issue. A wider tyre may be taller, which is again, going to affect clearance.

You're going to alter the handling of the bike as well. A larger tyre will likely slow the turning ability.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by EJK View Post
    Because FXRs are too powerful it'll need more rear grip?
    This will probably sound stupid but I have been doing research and I hear wide tyres are alot more stable at high speeds, Most of my riding is on highways at the speed "limit" of "100". also on alot of roads where I live there are these weird groves like rubber tar seal and when I go over them the wheel seems to get stuck in it and causes the bike to wiggle around alot, probably because the wheel is so thin. also I hear the bike will be more stable with a wider rear tyre around corners because it will have more of a contact patch to grip on, plus I just absolutely hate, hate, HATE the look of that tiny little 100width tyre, the bike is light enough so even with a wider rear tyre it will still flick into corners fast anyway. Not asking for an opinion, im asking if its possible and from another thread I heard a guy used a 130/70/17 rear tyre on his fxr but I was not sure if he had customized it or not.

Bike
    S1000RR
    Quote Originally Posted by atom608 View Post
    This will probably sound stupid but I have been doing research and I hear wide tyres are alot more stable at high speeds, Most of my riding is on highways at the speed "limit" of "100". also on alot of roads where I live there are these weird groves like rubber tar seal and when I go over them the wheel seems to get stuck in it and causes the bike to wiggle around alot, probably because the wheel is so thin. also I hear the bike will be more stable with a wider rear tyre around corners because it will have more of a contact patch to grip on, plus I just absolutely hate, hate, HATE the look of that tiny little 100width tyre, the bike is light enough so even with a wider rear tyre it will still flick into corners fast anyway. Not asking for an opinion, im asking if its possible and from another thread I heard a guy used a 130/70/17 rear tyre on his fxr but I was not sure if he had customized it or not.
    Doesn't sound stupid at all. Not sure about size 130 but I had fit Bridgestone BT45 size 110 on my old FXR. Felt a tad more planted and stable around tight corners too.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by EJK View Post
    Doesn't sound stupid at all. Not sure about size 130 but I had fit Bridgestone BT45 size 110 on my old FXR. Felt a tad more planted and stable around tight corners too.
    did you still use a 80/90-17 front or did you put on a slightly wider one too?

Bike
    S1000RR
    did you still use a 80/90-17 front or did you put on a slightly wider one too?
    I don't remember changing the width on the front. But instead of increasing the width I put stickier BT39SS.

Bike
    bandit
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Gayner View Post
    ....uh, why?
    I'm with him ...
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    89 GS500, 89 ZXR400, 93 RGV250, 14 MT07
    I don't think a 130 rear tyre would work well, the rim is too narrow and it will pinch the tyre into an undesirable shape. Many FXR bucket racers run RS125 slicks on their bikes which are 95 in the front and 115 in the rear. Myself and a few others use 120/70/17 rear slicks as they are easier to find, although that size does pinch the tyre together a bit.

Bike
    The 'wiggle' in grooves is often called tram lining. It's a little bit shit.
    Have you tinkered with your tyre pressures? What do you run them at now? That alone can make huge difference.

Bike
    Something red and quick
    I hear wide tyres are alot more stable at high speeds, Most of my riding is on highways at the speed "limit" of "100".
    At 140+ it would make a difference. At your speed it won't matter much.

also on alot of roads where I live there are these weird groves like rubber tar seal and when I go over them the wheel seems to get stuck in it and causes the bike to wiggle around alot
    Wider tyres also share the same issues. Tar seal lines are just bad.

I hear the bike will be more stable with a wider rear tyre around corners because it will have more of a contact patch to grip on
    Yes, but it must be a match to the rim width. Fitting oversized tyres on skinny rims won't give you that.

I just absolutely hate, hate, HATE the look of that tiny little 100width tyre
    This is the primary reason, isn't it? 120 vs 100 won't make much difference though.

im asking if its possible and from another thread I heard a guy used a 130/70/17 rear tyre on his fxr but I was not sure if he had customized it or not.
    It is possible, technically. Just not a good idea. Won't handle well enough.
    Unless you change the rims.

Or get an oldie but goodie CBR250RR.
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-973458735.htm
    Elite Fight Club - Proudly promoting common sense and safe riding since 2024
    http://1199s.wordpress.com

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazz View Post
    The 'wiggle' in grooves is often called tram lining. It's a little bit shit.
    Have you tinkered with your tyre pressures? What do you run them at now? That alone can make huge difference.
    I usually just leave it at what feels like around 35PSI for the back and my guess would be mid-late 20ish psi in the front.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Asher View Post
    I don't think a 130 rear tyre would work well, the rim is too narrow and it will pinch the tyre into an undesirable shape. Many FXR bucket racers run RS125 slicks on their bikes which are 95 in the front and 115 in the rear. Myself and a few others use 120/70/17 rear slicks as they are easier to find, although that size does pinch the tyre together a bit.
    yeah I sort ofknew 130 would probably be too much for it but just looking for something a bit wider, my rear is at around 40% tred left, il try to find something around 115-120 next tyre change

Thread Information