Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Touring on a GSX-R1000

Bike
    2015 GSX1300R Hayabusa
    Cheers for your help guys

Probably go with some simple "strap under seat" panniers.

Bike
    Between bikes
    A few RokStraps are great for securing things on as well. They are a flat bungee with a traditional bag strap and a plastic clip, and two loop ends.

Loop each end to whatever, clip the two together, yank on the strap to tighten, done.
    "It's hard to keep an open mind, when so many people are trying to put things in it"

Bike
    2008 BMW K1200S
    Here's my set up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
    Yo momma
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnyk5614 View Post
    I tour on my GSXR-1000 k4.

I actually find it a really nice tourer - I love sports bikes but strap a bag on top of the pillion seat and I find it remarkably comfortable to cruise along on. I've done 800km days on it with no fatigue
    When you get a bit older and a bit fatter you will change your tune.
    I used to do reasonable big miles on my 1986 GSXR1100 when I was in my 20's and, same as you, never had a problem.
    Earlier this year (now in my late 40's and 5kg heftier) I rode my 1988 GSXR1100 on a 600ish km day trip and it fucking near killed me. I can ride it for about an hour before it gets tiresome.

Bike
    CB1300
    Depends what you are used to. The hayabusa was much more comfortable on longer rides while I was still commuting on it.

Sent via tapatalk.

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonu View Post
    When you get a bit older and a bit fatter you will change your tune.
    I used to do reasonable big miles on my 1986 GSXR1100 when I was in my 20's and, same as you, never had a problem.
    Earlier this year (now in my late 40's and 5kg heftier) I rode my 1988 GSXR1100 on a 600ish km day trip and it fucking near killed me. I can ride it for about an hour before it gets tiresome.
    That's not really an age problem though is it? More related to "bike fitness" because if you ride regularly then decent trips are less of an issue on a sporty bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
    Depends what you are used to. The hayabusa was much more comfortable on longer rides while I was still commuting on it.

Sent via tapatalk.
    Must be why all them yank forums talk excessively about comfort mods, not to mention stupid swingarms and rear tyre sizes, when the problem is really not enough time in the saddle...

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    That's not really an age problem though is it? More related to "bike fitness" because if you ride regularly then decent trips are less of an issue on a sporty bike.
    I don't know how old you are, but I can say that by 50, life is not the joyous experience of springing out of bed it used to be. We all hurt ourselves over the years. You think you bounce back from those injuries. You don't. They come back and haunt you. Sleeping has become a contact sport. I used to hurt less after 10 rounds in a boxing ring, than 6 straight hours of sleep.

Bike fitness is a thing, but it is more of a concentration and physical meta link issue than a purely physical issue. If two of your ribs push into your lung and 4 others into the back of your scapula when you take up a sportbike crouch, you aren't going to enjoy riding a sporstbike, not matter how fit you are.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by James Deuce View Post
    I don't know how old you are, but I can say that by 50, life is not the joyous experience of springing out of bed it used to be. We all hurt ourselves over the years. You think you bounce back from those injuries. You don't. They come back and haunt you. Sleeping has become a contact sport. I used to hurt less after 10 rounds in a boxing ring, than 6 straight hours of sleep.

Bike fitness is a thing, but it is more of a concentration and physical meta link issue than a purely physical issue. If two of your ribs push into your lung and 4 others into the back of your scapula when you take up a sportbike crouch, you aren't going to enjoy riding a sporstbike, not matter how fit you are.
    He's just a young pup Jim (well, compared with me anyway ). You're both right actually. The more I ride, the more comfortable I am but I can empathise with your first paragraph Jim. We used to have an expensive, so called ergonomically perfect mattress. It was great when we were younger but it got relegated to a spare bedroom a couple of years ago and swapped with the much cheaper one in there which is far more comfortable nowadays! In addition, Ibuprofen is a wonderful aid on a long ride

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR

This I agree with. I would like to be able to ride a long distance with low clipons, I really would. But lowered pegs and riser bars mean I can ride in some comfort.

I had to laugh about the getting out of bed thing, its so true.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    A

Not 50 yet, I've got 25 years experience at being 21. Probably also helps that my war wounds are less significant than yours JD... And yes, your second paragraph gets no argument from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    He's just a young pup Jim (well, compared with me anyway ). You're both right actually. The more I ride, the more comfortable I am but I can empathise with your first paragraph Jim. We used to have an expensive, so called ergonomically perfect mattress. It was great when we were younger but it got relegated to a spare bedroom a couple of years ago and swapped with the much cheaper one in there which is far more comfortable nowadays! In addition, Ibuprofen is a wonderful aid on a long ride
    Crikey Geoff, as long as I'm as slick on two wheels when I get to your age, no complaints from me. Might even learn about riding whilst medicated with OTC meds.

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    When I reached 50 yrs old I found I was riding more with people 10 yrs younger.
    I always said ,wait till ya try 50.
    Now at 66 and a pensioner its way,way harder(for me at least).
    Just not as much fun any more,but hey, 50 years riding the way I did,was worth it,no regrets there.

You'd never go hungry with Nigella Gaz.
    If it weren't for flashbacks...I'd have no memory at all..

Bike
    MT-10
    I had a chat with an older fella on a Panigale 1299 yesterday at Mangawhai Heads. He would have been in his 50s im guessing. Fucking beautiful bike too

Bike
    Between bikes
    To anyone who reckons you're too leaned over on a sprotsbike to be comfortable.

Wheelie = problem SOLVED.
    "It's hard to keep an open mind, when so many people are trying to put things in it"

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by Erelyes View Post
    To anyone who reckons you're too leaned over on a sprotsbike to be comfortable.

Wheelie = problem SOLVED.
    The wheelie option is one approach.

I recall reading on here a while back about some clever chap who described the ideal sports bike riding position was "balls up against the tank" to achieve a comfy riding position...

Bike
    2012 Fireblade

Im in my 50's ride a fireblade every day and can still do Akl to Wlg with a diversion or 2 (forgotten world highway) in a day with no major aches or pains.
    I do warm up/ loosen up my limbs for 10 mins or so in the mornings (specially shoulders due to old breaks to both collarbones and one scapula (and yes multiples ribs as per post above)
    Tried a K8 GSXR for size recently (though not for any distance) and found it fits me fine - biggish km unlike to be an ordeal)
    Conversely I get lower back ache on more touring orientated machines - guess my body isn't attuned to that position
    So - i'd say bike fitness is the most important factor. Get a few short trips in before making a long trip and you'll be fine.
    As for me - I enjoyed riding the SI so much last summer - I'm doing it again in Jan/Feb

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

Thread Information