Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Touring on a GSX-R1000

Bike
    2015 GSX1300R Hayabusa

Touring on a GSX-R1000

I tour on my GSXR-1000 k4.

I actually find it a really nice tourer - I love sports bikes but strap a bag on top of the pillion seat and I find it remarkably comfortable to cruise along on. I've done 800km days on it with no fatigue

No mods except for some heated grips and a phone charger.

Strapping my bag onto the back is a pain though as the only hooks are on the pillion pegs. I inevitably end up winding bungee chords round the number plate and still with the bag occasionally needing a good shove backwards.

My old GSX-250 Invader had a little rack sitting underneath the tail with a couple of hooks on it and was perfect. I don't want anything out to the side but is there anything I could bolt underneath to help?

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    You'd need to get into the subframe for the hook to be secure...

Then again, I like lying on a bed of nails... so comfy. I guess suitability is in the eye of the beholder. Having my head down and arse up isn't my idea of comfort....
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    CB1300
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnyk5614 View Post
    I tour on my GSXR-1000 k4.

I actually find it a really nice tourer - I love sports bikes but strap a bag on top of the pillion seat and I find it remarkably comfortable to cruise along on. I've done 800km days on it with no fatigue

No mods except for some heated grips and a phone charger.

Strapping my bag onto the back is a pain though as the only hooks are on the pillion pegs. I inevitably end up winding bungee chords round the number plate and still with the bag occasionally needing a good shove backwards.

My old GSX-250 Invader had a little rack sitting underneath the tail with a couple of hooks on it and was perfect. I don't want anything out to the side but is there anything I could bolt underneath to help?
    Get some luggage hook bolt replacements and replace any equal length bolt of the same size.

Sent via tapatalk.

Bike
    CB1300

Sent via tapatalk.

Bike
    GSXR1000
    This is how I tour on my GSXR.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4667.JPG 
Views:	110 
Size:	153.2 KB 
ID:	317109  

Bike
    2015 GSX1300R Hayabusa
    Cheers guys
    I did have the idea of buying a spare pillion cowling and just adding a subframe to my sports bag and bolting to that so I can just clip the bag straight in.
    Any opinions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by onearmedbandit View Post
    This is how I tour on my GSXR.
    Do your throwovers tend to roll inwards when you have them loaded? I've just bought a GSX-S and from first look, some Oxford throwovers I've had for a while don't look all that stable and I don't want to put a frame behind them to stop them tucking in.

Bike
    CB1300
    In my experience of you have the straps right and the bag is not too empty they don't sag in.
    I thoroughly recommend a non slip mat on your plastics.

Source: experience with a Hayabusa, CB1300, DR350 various other bikes I have loaned my bags to.

You can buy fancy luggage blankets that do the same thing but I prefer $2 shop type non slip matting.
    Cheap, keeps the plastic free of scratches if you keep them clean, waterproof and it stops the luggage shooting forward or sliding back under sudden braking or acceleration.

Sent via tapatalk.

Bike
    2008 BMW K1200S
    I went for a Ventura kit on my BMW K1200S, absolutely brilliant. I have two bags that zip together so the main bag is 55lts and the second bag is 15-30ltr. I went down this route because it was far cheaper than the BMW equivalent as you need to buy a plastic rack and then the bag which costs around $600. I got my rack and bags for under $500 in AUS, should be cheaper here in NZ. Easy to put on the bike. if you do not like the big rack hanging off the back when not in use, you can buy a small bar that makes it almost not there. I also have a BMW tank bag which carries all my tools and tire repair kit including a compressor. All up I have 98ltrs of storage, plenty. I can add the BMW sport panniers but there way over priced.
    The Ventura kit does not upset the bikes handling at all as the weight is forward, unlike a top box which sits high and right out over the back.

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
    In my experience of you have the straps right and the bag is not too empty they don't sag in.
    I thoroughly recommend a non slip mat on your plastics.

Sent via tapatalk.
    Thanks for that! I'm having 3M matte clearfilm applied to the tailpiece and tank when it gets its 1000 km service on Monday so I can actually try and fit them rather than hold them alongside for fear of scratching the paint. One of the problems is that the GSX-S1000 has a steeply angled up tailpiece like the Gixxer 1000 but I'll give it a proper go next week

Quote Originally Posted by BrendonF View Post
    I went for a Ventura kit on my BMW K1200S, absolutely brilliant.
    Love Ventura gear, had the double pack on both my Blackbird and Street Triple. However, I've avoided it on the Suzuki as the rack might spoil the lines of the bike and I also want to keep the C of G low. Until I've figured it all out, I'll just use a backpack and/or a drybag which I can bungee to the rear seat.

Thanks for the helpful comments guys!

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Do your throwovers tend to roll inwards when you have them loaded? I've just bought a GSX-S and from first look, some Oxford throwovers I've had for a while don't look all that stable and I don't want to put a frame behind them to stop them tucking in.
    Nope, the bags are retained in place by straps.

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by onearmedbandit View Post
    Nope, the bags are retained in place by straps.
    Cheers - will give mine a proper trial.

Bike
    Just get a pack rack (I think mine's a Ventura) and then any any cheap bag that fits it. I bought a ~$120 RJays/SanRemo about 7 years ago which is 47L and expandable up to 82L. Even fully expanded it's basically unnoticeable below 200 unless there's some major winds going on.

Bike
    CB1300
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Thanks for that! I'm having 3M matte clearfilm applied to the tailpiece and tank when it gets its 1000 km service on Monday so I can actually try and fit them rather than hold them alongside for fear of scratching the paint. One of the problems is that the GSX-S1000 has a steeply angled up tailpiece like the Gixxer 1000 but I'll give it a proper go next week

Love Ventura gear, had the double pack on both my Blackbird and Street Triple. However, I've avoided it on the Suzuki as the rack might spoil the lines of the bike and I also want to keep the C of G low. Until I've figured it all out, I'll just use a backpack and/or a drybag which I can bungee to the rear seat.

Thanks for the helpful comments guys!
    Should be 3 straps... 2 wider ones that go under your cowl or seat.
    On narrower on that goes over. as long as you do this one up nice and tight you should be golden.

Bike
    CB1300
    Quote Originally Posted by Ender EnZed View Post
    Just get a pack rack (I think mine's a Ventura) and then any any cheap bag that fits it. I bought a ~$120 RJays/SanRemo about 7 years ago which is 47L and expandable up to 82L. Even fully expanded it's basically unnoticeable below 200 unless there's some major winds going on.
    +1 where you have not already spent your money on the saddlebags.

I use my packrack daily.
    The saddlebags only come out for longer trips due to the setup hassles.

Thread Information