Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: All right to use degreaser from Super Cheap Auto on chain?

Bike
    Yamaha Fzx 250 Zeal, Suzuki Fxr 150

All right to use degreaser from Super Cheap Auto on chain?

Hey there, I'm wondering if it would be ok to use normal cheap degreaser from super cheap auto to clean my chain, after I degrease it I would of course water blast it off and put my proper chain lube on but I just want to know if it will be safe to use on the chain and not eat the orings or anything? I plan to just spray the chain, leave it for 2-3 minutes then spend about a good 5 minutes making sure I water blast all the residue off the chain with a water blaster then I got some decent chain spray lube from a bike shop I will put on it after.

Bike
    FC 501
    Its pretty irreverent if the de-greaser will hurt the o-rings, 5 min of water blasting will f@#k it though

Bike
    My water blaster is not a very powerful one, its a low pressure one with a wide spray nosel on it which even further reduces the pressure, lets just say if i put my hand infront of it while it was on it would hurt a bit but thats about it, proper water blasters would fuck your hand up. I have used a hose before to clean my chain but it only gets the loose surface stuff off while the water blaster really gets the stuck on grease off

Bike
    Between bikes
    Sounds like you're overdoing it on this chain cleaning business boss. Waterblasting will just spray the shit over the rest of the bike. Toothbrush, a little kero, and an old rag. Job jobbed
    "It's hard to keep an open mind, when so many people are trying to put things in it"

Bike
    a red heap
    I'd hate to be your chain.

Were you one off those kids who used to crc their skateboard wheel bearings?

wipe the shit of the outside with a rag, spray on chain lube.

Bike
    you guys are fucking dicks, you tell me everything besides what i asked. this happens every fucking time I ask something and I see it happen to other people to, you attack them making fun of them or picking out shit they are doing wrong, I understand if they are doing something wrong but instead of being a dick maybe nicely point out what they are doing wrong and tell them a better way to do it.

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    Quote Originally Posted by atom608 View Post
    instead of being a dick maybe nicely point out what they are doing wrong and tell them a better way to do it.
    You mean something like this?

Quote Originally Posted by Erelyes View Post
    Sounds like you're overdoing it on this chain cleaning business boss. Waterblasting will just spray the shit over the rest of the bike. Toothbrush, a little kero, and an old rag. Job jobbed
    Seriously, you need to work on your anger issues. And not waterblast your chain, it will fuck it.
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Bike
    a red heap
    you guys are fucking dicks, you tell me everything besides what i asked. this happens every fucking time I ask something and I see it happen to other people to, you attack them making fun of them or picking out shit they are doing wrong, I understand if they are doing something wrong but instead of being a dick maybe nicely point out what they are doing wrong and tell them a better way to do it.
    I'm sorry, I do apologise.

May I suggest maybe you could use your water blaster to wash the sand out of your Vagina?

Bike
    That was quick.

Bike
    72 Kawasaki A7, 05 Kawasaki W650
    Wow, what an utter pillock. Firstly, what are you hoping to achieve with this cleaning regimen? To answer your question, the degreaser is probably safe, though completely unnecessary. Waterblasting your chain is both unnecessary and stupid, and WILL end your chain's life prematurely. Also, calm down, you're making yourself out to be a bit of a wanker.

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    Yep, people have a lotta fun making fun around here... better get used to that, it's not gonna change

With your chain:

Get a scrubbing brush. Bike shops sell a weird brush specially made for this. It's stupidly expensive for what it is but it works. Alternately get the stiffest bristled paintbrush you can find and tape up the metal band so you don't scratch paintwork. Rags work for the outside of the chain but you're limited to what you can reach or get the rag into.

Get a bowl. A stainless steel bowl from secondhand shop / tip shop is great for this kind of thing.

Get kero, stay away from degreasers which need water washoff. Water onto your chain is generally a bad idea.

Get the bike onto a stand so you can spin the back wheel by hand.

Have at it.

Wipe the chain with a rag to get most of the kero off, relube (there are lubes out there which don't attract dirt), job done.

If you're in the mood and the bike needs it then the rest of the back wheel / swingarm etc can be washed with water-soluble degreaser and hosed off. I've had good luck with the detergent stuff for pushbikes. Muc-Off kit is generally crap (and their chain washing machine is overpriced garbage). There are spray on, hose off degreasers out there advertised as 'no scrubbing', they work but they're aggressive as hell. I've had paint lifted by these (admittedly on an older bike with heat damaged paintwork).

Last thing: pull the ignition key, put it in your pocket, keep it there. DO NOT START YOUR ENGINE. Loads of people have thought it'd be a good idea to put the bike into first, fire it up, and scrub the chain as it runs along with the motor idling. They tend to lose fingers or even a hand.

Bike
    Blandit 1200, DRZ250 K, Beta xtrainer
    Quote Originally Posted by OddDuck View Post
    Yep, people have a lotta fun making fun around here... better get used to that, it's not gonna change

With your chain:

Get a scrubbing brush. Bike shops sell a weird brush specially made for this. It's stupidly expensive for what it is but it works. Alternately get the stiffest bristled paintbrush you can find and tape up the metal band so you don't scratch paintwork. Rags work for the outside of the chain but you're limited to what you can reach or get the rag into.

Get a bowl. A stainless steel bowl from secondhand shop / tip shop is great for this kind of thing.

Get kero, stay away from degreasers which need water washoff. Water onto your chain is generally a bad idea.

Get the bike onto a stand so you can spin the back wheel by hand.

Have at it.

Wipe the chain with a rag to get most of the kero off, relube (there are lubes out there which don't attract dirt), job done.

If you're in the mood and the bike needs it then the rest of the back wheel / swingarm etc can be washed with water-soluble degreaser and hosed off. I've had good luck with the detergent stuff for pushbikes. Muc-Off kit is generally crap (and their chain washing machine is overpriced garbage). There are spray on, hose off degreasers out there advertised as 'no scrubbing', they work but they're aggressive as hell. I've had paint lifted by these (admittedly on an older bike with heat damaged paintwork).

Last thing: pull the ignition key, put it in your pocket, keep it there. DO NOT START YOUR ENGINE. Loads of people have thought it'd be a good idea to put the bike into first, fire it up, and scrub the chain as it runs along with the motor idling. They tend to lose fingers or even a hand.
    This post speakum big truth. My only other input is after the chain is cleaned, take the bike for a brief-10kms-ride to dry the chain fully and lube on your return, once the chain has some heat in it. No water blasters or degreasers near chains.

Bike
    S1000RR
    Quote Originally Posted by OddDuck View Post
    +1 this.

You may think "If I be careful it won't happen. I'll just stay my hand clear of the sprocket" but the truth is sticky chain can easily catch the rag, which pulls your hand into the sprocket.

I know this had happened to some KBers in the past.

If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

Bike
    a red heap
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    With your statement that water on the chain is a bad idea what you are in effect saying is that riding your bike in the rain is also a bad idea. Risking a bit of rust is something many riders are forced to do when they ride so cleaning tthe bike/chain with water is hardly going to make the situation worse. I have read solvents can cause O ring damage but am not sure if kero is included also.
    Fuck you're a dork.

I'm retarded and even I can see that he's talking about high pressure washing.

you can have mint o rings, but if anything, even kero gets past them you can expect a shorter chain life. The purpose of the o rings is to keep the grease around the pins, chain lube doesnt get past them either.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by EJK View Post
    +1 this.

You may think "If I be careful it won't happen. I'll just stay my hand clear of the sprocket" but the truth is sticky chain can easily catch the rag, which pulls your hand into the sprocket.

I know this had happened to some KBers in the past.
    Yeah, but the risk of finger amputation adds a bit of excitement to an otherwise dull task.

Thread Information