Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Long bed utes?

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Holden VU with 2 bikes

Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob
    Best bike transport is a LWB van with a rear seat.
    Everything inside out of sight & the weather.
    Depends on what they call it. SLWB is more handy... Bit tricky parking it in regular places tho.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWST? View Post
    cab and chassis build your own bed ]
    Yep, it is entirely doable to have a double cab ute and build a good sized deck capable of carrying two bikes easily. Makes it a bitch to get at the towbar too. The downside is that the urban streets and carparks are ridiculously small for an oversize vehicle of any sort. Only really a problem if you go into or park in town. I have an extra cab ute with a 2.4m long deck and the whole plot is 5.9m long.
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post

Depends on what they call it. SLWB is more handy... Bit tricky parking it in regular places tho.
    I was meaning something more like this. Proper long.
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used...-976893345.htm

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    I was meaning something more like this. Proper long.
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used...-976893345.htm
    Yes indeed, would be lovely... Sprinters in 4WD however are a rare find, not to mention expensive... There is the 519XL... for like... 6 figures.

The Hiace is pretty much at the limit of my parking and maneuvering space however...
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Kawasaki
    I've been loooking at this issue for the last 5 months or so, trying to figure a way of getting my bike and my 3 year old son to (future) daycare, and then hopping on my bike to go to work. It would cut my (future) commute down by 30 minutes at least. Double cab for the next kid maybe...

Double cab, long bed, and low enough to ride the bike quickly on to. Hard to find a vehicle to suit. Even looked at vans, but not really good enough.

Also looking at the safety rating and fuel effeciency as well.

I have not found anything 'stock' that is modern or practical. Closest I've found is mid-2000 Ford Couriers, which have massive k's on their engines, and have been thrashed/modded past usefulness. Good for the odd track day though I suppose. Back tray down, and a few tie-downs involved.

I don't think New Zealand has the market for these vehicles.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    The back window is so high & the seats are so low that they are virtually impossible to reverse with any accuracy.
    Don't listen to me though, I have long been disgusted by Australian vehicles but am probably not alone seeing both ford falcon & Holden commodore have definitive finish dates for production now.
    Next time take a look at your side mirrors... Reversing looking out the back from habit is useless in a ute as you cant see through what's loaded on the back anyway.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 5ive View Post
    I've been loooking at this issue for the last 5 months or so, trying to figure a way of getting my bike and my 3 year old son to (future) daycare, and then hopping on my bike to go to work. It would cut my (future) commute down by 30 minutes at least. Double cab for the next kid maybe...
    You'd need to factor in the loading / unloading of the bike though. Not too long, but when you're talking about every day, making sure the ramp is secure, putting on your gear, I'm not sure you're really going to save much.

Avoid the steel type trays. While bigger and flat they're much higher, above the wheels. 4WD can be handy (I mountain bike as well, so getting up/down gravel trail heads is part of getting there) but can also raise the loading height. Utes are easier for accessing tie down points, even from outside the tray. Obviously impossible inside a van so a bit of a squeeze. Vans also have to be tall enough to take your bike.

Otherwise, depending on purpose, consider a trailer. Lower loading height, get the tow vehicle of your choice. Have to store the trailer though, maintain, etc.

Bike
    Kawasaki
    You'd need to factor in the loading / unloading of the bike though. Not too long, but when you're talking about every day, making sure the ramp is secure, putting on your gear, I'm not sure you're really going to save much.

Avoid the steel type trays. While bigger and flat they're much higher, above the wheels. 4WD can be handy (I mountain bike as well, so getting up/down gravel trail heads is part of getting there) but can also raise the loading height. Utes are easier for accessing tie down points, even from outside the tray. Obviously impossible inside a van so a bit of a squeeze. Vans also have to be tall enough to take your bike.

Otherwise, depending on purpose, consider a trailer. Lower loading height, get the tow vehicle of your choice. Have to store the trailer though, maintain, etc.
    Yep, the 30 minutes is taking all of that into consideration, including unloading the bike. It's a geographical conundrum because of where we live because of hills, road layout, and waterways. I'd take one route to get to daycare in a car/ute, but then have to use another route from home on the bike to get to work. I'd wear my gear apart from helmet in the ute as well. My daily commute is about 196km at the moment, daycare would be on the way to work, but on a very slight tangent. I'd only be doing the drop-offs in the morning, so could take my time loading the bike back on in the afternoons. The 30 minutes in the morning saved would be great, makes life easier.

I did look at trailers as well, but it wouldn't work security or space wise, especially if I needed to take the bike on the back of the ute all of the way to work, as parking is an issue. Plus rego/maintenence etc.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Dont over think it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Motorcycle-Car-Transport-Easy-Way.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	54.8 KB 
ID:	317395  
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazz View Post
    Next time take a look at your side mirrors... Reversing looking out the back from habit is useless in a ute as you cant see through what's loaded on the back anyway.
    Yerp, thats how I was taught. Our old work utes were so full of crap no way the rear view mirror was of any use.
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    There are a couple of things to be wary of as well. One of them being mates with cameras!
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    mutton dressed up as lamb and a 73 XL250
    Quote Originally Posted by awa355 View Post
    Aussie designs haven't changed much at all.

Much prettier than there recent offerings....bloke down here has (only one ive ever seen) a Holden ute possibly late 90s with the longest deck ive ever seen and apparently a factory built ute,must take a pic of the thing...somewhat ugly but bloody practical i would say.
    Be the person your dog thinks you are...

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 98tls View Post
    Much prettier than there recent offerings....bloke down here has (only one ive ever seen) a Holden ute possibly late 90s with the longest deck ive ever seen and apparently a factory built ute,must take a pic of the thing...somewhat ugly but bloody practical i would say.
    Yep, that was the VR-VS era, not many around.

Bike
    husaberg
    Yep, that was the VR-VS era, not many around.
    10mm longer than even a Crewman is, I have never seen one.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	60311d1235652501-vs-2000-ute-ex-ambulance-side-low-res.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	187.8 KB 
ID:	317404Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ute026.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	317405
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    Yo momma
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    10mm longer than even a Crewman is, I have never seen one.

Name:	60311d1235652501-vs-2000-ute-ex-ambulance-side-low-res.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	187.8 KB 
ID:	317404Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ute026.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	317405
    Fuck that is one ugly vehicle!

Are you sure it wasn't made on TopGear???

Name:	pimpestlimos.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	10.7 KB 
ID:	317407

Thread Information