Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tyre fitting prices?

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by R1madness View Post
    If you buy a tyre then take it to another dealer to fit it then it is reasonable that they charge you the full hourly workshop rate to fit them. When a dealer sells tyres they usually subsidise the fitting cost.
    Don't forget a decent tyre machine and balancer will set the dealer back around $8000 so it's another cost that has to be covered. Also they have to take a person away from a scheduled job to do the tyres "while you wait" as most shops don't just have a mechanic waiting around just in case you need a tyre done.
    $50 each isn't unreasonable.
    rubbish. Most balance manually and have cheap shit fitting machines. $50 is a piss take.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    06 Kawasaki kle500
    I just got some tyres from the trade me guy at Amberley, he fired them on and balanced them for nothing and on xmas eve too. Total good bastard.

Bike
    Its yellow. Sometimes a green one
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    It's fucking unreasonable if the wheel is off the bike?
    If its something you can't do or are to lazy to do you just have to pay. You could always buy a hand held bead breaker, some tyre levers and a compressor and then you could charge your mates $10 each to change their tyres for them.... apparently there is huge money to be had for no effort. ...

Good luck

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    rubbish. Most balance manually and have cheap shit fitting machines. $50 is a piss take.

Maybe so, but you're still taking them away from other work. As a customer it's a pain if they want to charge accordingly, but from the other side if the job is not worth doing for less then it is not worth doing at all.

Bike
    CB1300

Do you squeak when you walk?

What do you consider fair?

Does that factor in gst?

ACC?

Location?

Advertising?

Liability insurance?

Plant?

Frankly I'm surprised any business based in Auckland can afford to charge so little without it being a loss leader.

Sent via tapatalk.

I always like to ask people who complain about prices what they do for a living. Of course they all do something that other people complain about for excessive prices.
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
    Do you squeak when you walk?

What do you consider fair?

Does that factor in gst?

ACC?

Location?

Advertising?

Liability insurance?

Plant?

Frankly I'm surprised any business based in Auckland can afford to charge so little without it being a loss leader.

Sent via tapatalk.
    I know the costs. I work partly on the tyre industry. No way you can charge that to fit a car tyre.

Bike
    CB1300
    I know the costs. I work partly on the tyre industry. No way you can charge that to fit a car tyre.

Not a fair comparison.
    Higher turnover means lower mean costs on the hardware.
    Shear volume of competition means they can afford to have lower paid non mechanics who carry out less technical tasks.
    Often minimum wage or close enough.
    With the exception of Drury tyres and the ones I did myself my tyres have always been changed and balanced by an experienced mechanic with a charge rate between $60-120 an hour.

Cars, I have never to my knowledge had a qualified mechanic fit or balance a tyre.

Sent via tapatalk.

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Many, many years ago i remember Steve Oxton saying that it wasn't the window sticker that should determine whether you can afford the vehicle but can you afford the servicing and maintenance costs...

If you are quibbling over $20 to $30 difference for tyre fitting then perhaps you've got the wrong hobby...

Just saying...
    Last edited by Moi; 30th December 2015 at 07:32. Reason: Appalling spelling... pass the merlot...

Bike
    2009 KTM990
    Buying tyres and getting them fitted at the shop comes with some warranty on the tyre and work done.

I can see merit in buying tools/tyres doing them at home.Its not a big job but if I hash it and damage the tyre or rim I pay again.

Sometimes you just have to pay for piece of mind.

Bought some tyres off trade me due to my local dealership being complete muppets when it came to getting the tyres I wanted.
    Im looking at buying the tools and doing them myself.I have the skills/exp But I will still give the dealership a phone to see what they will charge to fit the tyres I will supply because muppets or not their work will be guaranteed.
    Then I will make up my mind.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Not a fair comparison.
    Higher turnover means lower mean costs on the hardware.
    Shear volume of competition means they can afford to have lower paid non mechanics who carry out less technical tasks.
    Often minimum wage or close enough.
    With the exception of Drury tyres and the ones I did myself my tyres have always been changed and balanced by an experienced mechanic with a charge rate between $60-120 an hour.

Cars, I have never to my knowledge had a qualified mechanic fit or balance a tyre.

Sent via tapatalk.
    Motorbike shops probably make some GP on tyres that car tyre shops dont.

Bike
    CB1300
    Motorbike shops probably make some GP on tyres that car tyre shops dont.

Which if you purchase your tyre at the store you are getting then fitted at usually subsidises a lower charge.
    Most bike shops l have dealt with will fit and balance for free of you don't haggle too much on price.

Eg the tyres I used to use in the Hayabusa were 370 a rear 300 a front plus fitting and balancing.
    600 for both fitted and balanced.

Different numbers same deal different shop for the CB. 10-15% less with free fit and balance if you ask nicely and take the pair. Often more if you are getting a service at the same time.

With our dollar in the can, shipping costs, delays and trying to get them to a shop to be fitted as opposed to just ride up and hand over some cash and ride away without waiting for quit stock it just did not work out in my favour any of the times I tried to look into buying separately.

Best I was able to work out online was saving 100 after fitting.
    7 day lead with two weeks shipping.
    Plus I would have to take half a day to knock the wheels off and drive them in to be fitted.

I'd rather have the time with my family than 100 - diesel and ruc.

Plus it would mean that time was not available for me to bill out. Depending on the job that could be $1000. Even at minimum wage 4 x 15 $60.

No, not an efficient use of my time and resources at all... different story if I happened to have access to buy off a distributor at cost ( not retailer cost either). But i don't.
    With the exception of retailers who import their own I would like to refute the claim that there is a generous GP in the tyres in the first place.
    For various reasons I have been involved with the inventory / pos systems at a couple of retailers over the years. If someone is making a huge mark up on Tyres it ain't the retailer.

Sent via tapatalk.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Which if you purchase your tyre at the store you are getting then fitted at usually subsidises a lower charge.
    Most bike shops l have dealt with will fit and balance for free of you don't haggle too much on price.

Eg the tyres I used to use in the Hayabusa were 370 a rear 300 a front plus fitting and balancing.
    600 for both fitted and balanced.

Different numbers same deal different shop for the CB. 10-15% less with free fit and balance if you ask nicely and take the pair. Often more if you are getting a service at the same time.

With our dollar in the can, shipping costs, delays and trying to get them to a shop to be fitted as opposed to just ride up and hand over some cash and ride away without waiting for quit stock it just did not work out in my favour any of the times I tried to look into buying separately.

Best I was able to work out online was saving 100 after fitting.
    7 day lead with two weeks shipping.
    Plus I would have to take half a day to knock the wheels off and drive them in to be fitted.

I'd rather have the time with my family than 100 - diesel and ruc.

Plus it would mean that time was not available for me to bill out. Depending on the job that could be $1000. Even at minimum wage 4 x 15 $60.

No, not an efficient use of my time and resources at all... different story if I happened to have access to buy off a distributor at cost ( not retailer cost either). But i don't.
    With the exception of retailers who import their own I would like to refute the claim that there is a generous GP in the tyres in the first place.
    For various reasons I have been involved with the inventory / pos systems at a couple of retailers over the years. If someone is making a huge mark up on Tyres it ain't the retailer.

Sent via tapatalk.
    Meh. I fit my own. Easy as. Costs me no dollars.

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDR
    If its something you can't do or are to lazy to do you just have to pay.
    Well I can do and I do do.

You could always buy a hand held bead breaker, some tyre levers and a compressor and then you could charge your mates $10 each to change their tyres for them.... apparently there is huge money to be had for no effort. ...

Good luck
    Got all that, but then I also have a tyre machine. Don't have any mates and I don't need luck.
    Nunquam Non Paratus

Thread Information