Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Picking a trackday group

Bike
    '08 R6
    Quote Originally Posted by discotex View Post
    I'm in a similar spot with Med-Slow to Med-Fast. Not sure if I should go up or not. What would you say is a good indicator that someone should go into Med-Fast?
    Again, it's subjective. From outside looking in we would look at the speed difference (if you are much faster). But it's more about whether you feel you are well within your capabilities and wish to move to a group where the average speeds are higher.

Are you never being passed currently? Are you able to pass easily and comfortably and wish there were fewer bikes in the way? Are you looking to improve as your number one priority, or are you just out having a blast?

It's not really easy as there is no rule, but generally if you are lapping faster than most others, it might be time to test the waters up a group. You can always change back!
    Arborist available - Will trade tree work services for bike parts or servicing! PM me...

Bike
    '09 Bandit 1250s
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeromo View Post
    Come abit further south to a Taupo MotoTT day. Heaps different to the Playday HD day, its a good experience.
    It does get abit annoying going out on the Hyosak GT250 at HD in Med/Slow, 600-1000cc bike come flying past and slow me down into turn 1, than again into T2, than I can pass them pack on the brakes into T4. At HD I observed a lot of guys on bigger bikes that were fast on corners were in Med/Slow group, and new times on big bikes that are slow in corners go into Med/Fast Group.

Taupo I find is not a stop go track and I think it is abit bigger to, you don't get tangled up with other riders as much
    T'was me...

First time on a track, track day at hampton downs, been on my full licence for a month, owned a Z1000 for a couple weeks, bought a ticket for medium group. I thought slow group was for 250s etc. Plus I'm not a slug on the road.

First session, taking it easy, overtaken by about 15 bikes per lap. Second session much better... probably letting 5 bikes past per lap.

Coming into the hair pin a hyosung comes sweeping atound the outside of me. Shit just got real. I got on the gas harder than ever before, power stood for a second or 2, screamed past the bastard and pushed much harder, I heard him right behind me into turn 3 then not again.

Improved my track times... In hindsight I would have taken that day differently, especially after seeing a hayabusa in the slow group.

O well live and learn, no near misses.

Bike
    that one in my sig
    Quote Originally Posted by sharp2183 View Post
    Again, it's subjective. From outside looking in we would look at the speed difference (if you are much faster). But it's more about whether you feel you are well within your capabilities and wish to move to a group where the average speeds are higher.

Are you never being passed currently? Are you able to pass easily and comfortably and wish there were fewer bikes in the way? Are you looking to improve as your number one priority, or are you just out having a blast?

It's not really easy as there is no rule, but generally if you are lapping faster than most others, it might be time to test the waters up a group. You can always change back!
    I don't get passed that often once I've warmed up my tyres. Usually it's guys way faster that probably ended up in Med-Slow because the other groups were full, as they are usually on dedicated track bikes. Last time out before the 6 hour I caught a fair number of riders. Gut feel is that I was in the top 1/3 of the group. Better if those faster guys were up in Med-Fast.

Improving is my #1 priority. I plan to get in a day every month this summer. I thought Med-Fast might help to give me more "mental towing" but on the other hand I don't really want to find I'm *way* slower. I guess like you say I should just suck it up and try it. Might talk to Tony about changing my booking for the 20th depending on how tomorrow arvo goes.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    Thanks for the invite but its just too risky and expensive if I drop my bike for my liking. Poster 1 needs to perhaps attend your trackday as some are safer than others. Going fast on skis is my thing.
    OK, if you change your mind the next one is in February.

On Monday there were around 60 riders I guess (no idea really) and two fallers. No injuries except to pride and a broken footpeg.

Track riding is a LOT less dangerous than riding on Her Majestey's highways. Lot more fun too because you can go 223 kph and not get a speeding ticket.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    a red heap
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    .... Lot more fun too because you can go 223 kph and not get a speeding ticket.
    you can do that on the road.

Bike
    CBR450RR
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mental Trousers View Post
    Stick to the fast group.
    They did say they felt under pressure to keep up though if you read post 1. Being under pressure to keep up can be deadly on or off the track.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mental Trousers View Post
    If you're quick enough to ride in fast then ride in fast cos you're far too quick to be in the slow group. Pressure isn't coming from the others in the group, it's from you. Nobody expects you to be circulating at the same pace as the racers/really fast track day guys.
    . .
    Zen wisdom: No matter what happens, somebody will find a way to take it too seriously. - obviously had KB in mind when he came up with that gem

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Bike
    a red heap
    ....Skiing is far safer.....
    Cleary its not as safe a F1.

Bike
    S1000RR
    Thanks for the invite but its just too risky and expensive if I drop my bike for my liking. Poster 1 needs to perhaps attend your trackday as some are safer than others. Going fast on skis is my thing.
    Go hard or go home pussy.

If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by nodrog View Post
    you can do that on the road.
    Surely not??!?!

that would be unlawful. I've never exceeded 100 kph on the open road because a policeman* told me my head would explode if I did.

*or a TV ad... same thing right?
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Something red and quick
    Quote Originally Posted by haydes55 View Post
    T'was me...

First time on a track, track day at hampton downs, been on my full licence for a month, owned a Z1000 for a couple weeks, bought a ticket for medium group. I thought slow group was for 250s etc. Plus I'm not a slug on the road.

First session, taking it easy, overtaken by about 15 bikes per lap. Second session much better... probably letting 5 bikes past per lap.

Coming into the hair pin a hyosung comes sweeping atound the outside of me. Shit just got real. I got on the gas harder than ever before, power stood for a second or 2, screamed past the bastard and pushed much harder, I heard him right behind me into turn 3 then not again.

Improved my track times... In hindsight I would have taken that day differently, especially after seeing a hayabusa in the slow group.

O well live and learn, no near misses.
    This post illustrates exactly why medium groups are dangerous.
    Elite Fight Club - Proudly promoting common sense and safe riding since 2024
    http://1199s.wordpress.com

Bike
    '09 Bandit 1250s
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmoot View Post
    This post illustrates exactly why medium groups are dangerous.
    For the record I wasn't riding dangerously, I simply rode at 80% instead of comfortable cruising. I held constant lines and never came within 2m of another bike.

Bike
    2001 Ducati Monster S4
    This is quite a good website.

biketrackdayshub.com

Bike
    2017 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory

Picking a trackday group

Last Thursday evening at HD there was a handful of bins in medium group and one in the slow group. No bins in fast group iirc.

Compare that to Cali superbike school two weeks ago with only one low speed bin throughout the two days.

This indicates that average track day riders would get more out of their laps if they focused more on improving their techniques and less on out-braking the next guy. This approach would place less emphasis for most riders on which group to join :dunno

Bike
    that one in my sig
    Quote Originally Posted by DamianW View Post
    Last Thursday evening at HD there was a handful of bins in medium group and one in the slow group. No bins in fast group iirc.

Compare that to Cali superbike school two weeks ago with only one low speed bin throughout the two days.

This indicates that average track day riders would get more out of their laps if they focused more on improving their techniques and less on out-braking the next guy. This approach would place less emphasis for most riders on which group to join :dunno
    Had a lot of fun in the Medium group on Thursday night. With only three groups I'm sure Medium was like a combined Medium-Slow and Medium-Fast. Never felt like I shouldn't be there so will probably switch it up to Medium-Fast in future.

Doing CSS L1 & L2 a while back definitely made me a better rider - 10/10 would recommend. I slowed down a lot, stopped charging corners and started drilling myself to ride properly and build a solid foundation. This season it's starting to come together and I'm building my pace every time out rather than being all over the place. I'm thinking I'll have to do L3 & L4 over at Phillip Island one day

Bike
    A fast one
    Quote Originally Posted by DamianW View Post

Was hoping to get along to that track day but left getting a ticket too late (waited to see what the weather was doing) and the only group left was fast.

Bugger to hear about the bins..

How structured are non-ART days? I've only ever been to Hampton Downs during a ART run day and it was very structured/I didn't notice any nonsense riding. Hoping to get along to the next ART day

Thread Information