Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Suzuki GSX S1000

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Is Suzuki still dictating 6,000 km service intervals in NZ? I see they are trying to be a bit Italian too - with dodge low speed fueling :-)
    Allan - 1000 km first service, next one 12,000 km. I'll do an oil and filter change in the middle though. A lot of bikes have got dips in their power curves these days due to having to meet international emission laws. Mike Gayner mentions comfort. On the delivery trip back from Auckland, my arse ached pretty badly before I got home. Since that trip, it's turned out to be more comfortable arse-wise than my Street Triple! Guess it's a combination of my arse re-shaping itself and the seat bedding itself in a bit too

Bike
    Between bikes
    Thank god you got the nekkid-ish version. The faired one is most unfortunate looking. Glad to hear it's a good ride though.
    "It's hard to keep an open mind, when so many people are trying to put things in it"

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by Erelyes View Post
    Thank god you got the nekkid-ish version. The faired one is most unfortunate looking. Glad to hear it's a good ride though.
    I don't think the faired one is too bad. The front is a bit pointy, but having owned a Blackbird, I got used to being called Beaky

It was riding a Honda X-11 belonging to a friend which turned me on to naked bikes. It helped to keep my speed down for one thing but it's nice just being out in the open air. I've got a Suzuki flyscreen on back order but that's as much for looks as protection. The outstanding job is to set the suspension up properly for my weight and the sort of roads I use most. It's a bit too harsh at present but is fine on smoother roads.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Allan - 1000 km first service, next one 12,000 km. I'll do an oil and filter change in the middle though. A lot of bikes have got dips in their power curves these days due to having to meet international emission laws. Mike Gayner mentions comfort. On the delivery trip back from Auckland, my arse ached pretty badly before I got home. Since that trip, it's turned out to be more comfortable arse-wise than my Street Triple! Guess it's a combination of my arse re-shaping itself and the seat bedding itself in a bit too
    Pretty standard service intervals now. I hear you regarding a 6 k change - probably just my age but used to earlier intervals for oil and it is cheap insurance.

Comfort is a subjective thing - different person on the same bike can disagree. I could not believe how firm the Ducati seat was when test riding (coming off the Hornet), but it is proving OK so far and on par. Just a different feel.

I think they should install a small switch on the ECU - factory setting and 'race' (or similar) the only difference is it changes two maps - one to meet emissions, one the ideal map. They could cover their arses with all types of stickers and blurbs in the owners manual saying it is for off road use only

Bike
    72 Kawasaki A7, 05 Kawasaki W650
    probably just my age but used to earlier intervals for oil and it is cheap insurance.
    It's expensive insurance if it doesn't do anything. Personally I don't want to put a single extra unnecessary cent in the oil company's pockets, so I'll trust the engineers with their intervals.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Depends on what your dealer is putting in the engine. Most use a semi-synthetic in their workshops but you may find the bike maker has based the 12 - 15 k service intervals on a full synthetic.

Bike
    Sold
    Pretty standard service intervals now. I hear you regarding a 6 k change - probably just my age but used to earlier intervals for oil and it is cheap insurance.

Comfort is a subjective thing - different person on the same bike can disagree. I could not believe how firm the Ducati seat was when test riding (coming off the Hornet), but it is proving OK so far and on par. Just a different feel.

I think they should install a small switch on the ECU - factory setting and 'race' (or similar) the only difference is it changes two maps - one to meet emissions, one the ideal map. They could cover their arses with all types of stickers and blurbs in the owners manual saying it is for off road use only
    Yep, my age has a lot to do with it too and as you say, it's cheap insurance.

Absolutely, a huge variation in human arses! And a firm seat definitely doesn't mean uncomfortable. The Rider brand seat made for the Blackbird was very firm and I could ride for any amount of time and not get sore.

Haha - yep! Actually, the 3 traction control settings do change the engine characteristics and it is a bit smoother in rain mode. Haven't seen the need (or had the nerve) to turn it off as my name's not Rossi

Bike
    1999 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Gayner View Post
    I know which I'd prefer too - the one I can comfortably spend all day on.
    I have a lower back problem and find that sportsbikes can be more comfortable than nakeds or tourers. But some of the newer sports bikes are too cramped.

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDR
    Depends on what your dealer is putting in the engine. Most use a semi-synthetic in their workshops but you may find the bike maker has based the 12 - 15 k service intervals on a full synthetic.
    Absolutely and exactly what was done to my bike last week during its 15K service. They are aware I won't allow the bike to do 15K without an interim oil change, so hence the semi-synth. Next service (30K) I'll be supplying the oil....and spark plugs.
    Nunquam Non Paratus

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Moise View Post
    I have a lower back problem and find that sportsbikes can be more comfortable than nakeds or tourers. But some of the newer sports bikes are too cramped.
    Bike has to look like the rider, so what works for you works. I have lowered pegs on my sports bike and it works a treat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    2016 GSXS 1000F
    Blog Entries

Ordered

A GSX S1000F will be my next motorcycle. Photo of demo from Hastings Suzuki.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-11-20+09.52.52.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	643.3 KB 
ID:	319066  
    Here for the ride.

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by sinned View Post
    Great stuff.

I'd recommend some crash protectors at an early juncture. I fitted R&G on my naked one. About 2 weeks after taking delivery, I managed to stall the bugger whilst leaned over and it was past the point of no return for my short legs . Had to step off it and the protector did its job!

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sinned View Post
    I'm a huge naked bike fan. However while on Holiday two weeks back the Suzuki dealer at Motuekua has one of each parked out front for sale (surprised me as they usually only have dirt and Stroms in stock when I'm up there).

The fairing one is a looker and not overly plastic. Looks ideal for NZ roads if you are planning on some good trips.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR

The fairing one is a looker and not overly plastic. Looks ideal for NZ roads if you are planning on some good trips.
    Dont they lack a bit on luggage options?
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    Dont they lack a bit on luggage options?
    Ventura have a system, there's one from Hepco and Becker and the Oxford throwovers that I have also work well!

Thread Information