Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brake rotor fasteners?

Bike
    88 Yamaha FZR250

Brake rotor fasteners?

Ive been overhauling the brakes on my FZR1000 and some of the rotor bolts were a pain and fucked themselves and some were already replaced with unmatched types.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$_35.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	18.6 KB 
ID:	317682

Anyone recommend a nice place to get fasteners, would love something that doesn't go all pox like steel ones do, little dubious about using stainless

Is titanium the only other option?

they are button head M8X25 socket type

Bike
    Enough that the car lives outside now.
    Go past any good fastener shop with a couple and chat to the guys there. High tensile, plated steel. Stainless will be okay (see www.probolt.com).

Or just go see your Yamaha shop. Those ones will have lasted 20 years okay.....

Bike
    A fast one
    I came across this site the other day looking for something similar - http://www.tooltimeonline.co.nz/prod...ory/fasteners/

Bike
    Blacks Fasteners.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    88 Yamaha FZR250
    id like a full 18 of them and after spending over 300 dollars on brake rotor seals from Yamaha I'm a little reluctant on getting OEM stuff.

Fastener guys in Napier are less the helpful... guy from steel masters flat out refused to say they do socket screws when they have them on the website

I could get these
    http://www.steelmasters.co.nz/socket...&SID=932800749

and more to the point what are your thoughts on stainless cause the anzor guys here are awesome

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    maaaaaaaaate. Steel masters up here are good. A damn shame yours arent.

Define whst you want
    "socket screws" arent a thing.

Stainless is ok. I'd go the softer 304 which will be more tensile than the 316. I doubt either will shear, but that would be my pick.

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Bit hard to tell in that picture, but are they fully threaded? Many disc bolts will have a flat along the bolt for the disc holes. SS is also weaker than high tensile steel. Wouldn't worry too much about that though, probolt sells 316 SS bolts for discs so it can't be too shit.
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by benhall View Post
    Ive been overhauling the brakes on my FZR1000 and some of the rotor bolts were a pain and fucked themselves and some were already replaced with unmatched types.

Anyone recommend a nice place to get fasteners, would love something that doesn't go all pox like steel ones do, little dubious about using stainless

Is titanium the only other option?

they are button head M8X25 socket type
    From memory Stainless and Aluminium are not as great a combination that you might suspect.
    Ti also galls in its threads
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    From memory Stainless and Aluminium are not as great a combination that you might suspect.
    Ti also galls in its threads
    I used to be wary of that too. But it's risk of galvanic corrosion is reduced when the aluminium part is large (ie, not the fastener) when there is no corrosive electrolyte present (ie saltwater) and when there is a film of thread lube/locker between the two (loctite); all such factors should apply on a motorcycle.

ZP is another option of course, they're not as common in high tensile though.
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    I used to be wary of that too. But it's risk of galvanic corrosion is reduced when the aluminium part is large (ie, not the fastener) when there is no corrosive electrolyte present (ie saltwater) and when there is a film of thread lube/locker between the two (loctite); all such factors should apply on a motorcycle.

ZP is another option of course, they're not as common in high tensile though.
    Agreed. But they still corrode where the two meet.
    Not sure what the standard coating are on the rotor bolts but I suspect its cadmium.
    The point I was trying to make is Stainless is not a wonder metal in regards to its corrosion protection.
    Looking at the bolts and the bikes vintage I wonder why not to use stock fasteners AS LONG AS THEY MATCH THE STD TENSILE SPECS and design.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    88 Yamaha FZR250
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    maaaaaaaaate. Steel masters up here are good. A damn shame yours arent.

Define whst you want
    "socket screws" arent a thing.

Stainless is ok. I'd go the softer 304 which will be more tensile than the 316. I doubt either will shear, but that would be my pick.

socket screws, cap screws, everyones got a fucking different name

ill drop by anzor again, he was very reluctant because braking components, same feeling for me..

Bike
    88 Yamaha FZR250
    Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    Bit hard to tell in that picture, but are they fully threaded? Many disc bolts will have a flat along the bolt for the disc holes. SS is also weaker than high tensile steel. Wouldn't worry too much about that though, probolt sells 316 SS bolts for discs so it can't be too shit.
    There is a small shoulder on them its about 4mm (so around the disk width)

I have acquired lovely brembo serie oro discs so not wanting to put rubbish old bolts on them

Bike
    88 Yamaha FZR250
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    Agreed. But they still corrode where the two meet.
    Not sure what the standard coating are on the rotor bolts but I suspect its cadmium.
    The point I was trying to make is Stainless is not a wonder metal in regards to its corrosion protection.
    Looking at the bolts and the bikes vintage I wonder why not to use stock fasteners AS LONG AS THEY MATCH THE STD TENSILE SPECS and design.
    Not sure if you read my original post at all? 2 are missing, 2 fucked themselves so i had to easy out them and the rest look like shit and are ready to die and not come out... theyre not going back in. The chances of getting stock fasteners in NZ for an 89 bike is literately zero and if they are available are probably like 10 dollars a piece hence my post here

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    10$/go for your life...
    Easy money id say.

Grade 8, 304 ss i tells ya.

Thread Information