Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hearing aids. Anyone wear them, contemplating needing them?

Bike
    2002 KTM 640 Adventure
    All of this information is very helpful guys. I really appreciate your straight up comments Many thanks....

Bike
    CT110 Super Cub - postie bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Moise View Post
    Hearing aids are a very expensive Band-Aid. WEAR EARPLUGS when you ride on the open road.
    Or even when commuting. That's where my damage was done.
    Grow older but never grow up

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDGT
    Anyone used www.hearingtrue.co.nz ?
    Political Correctness, the chief weapon of whiney arse bastards

Bike
    2002 KTM 640 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by buggerit View Post

Just had a look and downloaded a .pdf of one of their CIC models.
    They advertise it as a hearing aid and the manual says it is a amplifier but NOT a hearing aid, so what gives?

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by buggerit View Post
    Aye. I bought pro CIC items from him last year. They're less sophisticated than the previous ones, (can't fit as much machinery into the smaller device) but I suspect it was the clever software involved that made the old ones difficult to live with. I don't care about the "not visible" aspect of the CIC aids, It's just that they're out of harms way in there, and so far they've performed OK.

The guy works out of a shared clinic in ChCh, I had to get a local audiologist to test my hearing so I could send him the data to set them up. I collected them on a flying visit through. Slightly less good that he's the only agent in NZ, and if he goes tits up I'll have to get consumables from off-shore.

Edit: In my experience hearing aids recover most of your "hearing noise" capacity, but at least in my case understanding people's speech is very difficult with any sort of background noise at all. In a busy room or restaurant I tend to smile and nod a lot.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    2002 KTM 640 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post
    but at least in my case understanding people's speech is very difficult with any sort of background noise at all. In a busy room or restaurant I tend to smile and nod a lot.
    Sounds familiar...I want to fix that.

Bike
    1999 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by Waihou Thumper View Post
    Sounds familiar...I want to fix that.
    Sorry but you can't with current technology. Buy maybe by the time I need one ...

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries
    I work in a big place with about 400 staff working 24/7. A lot of staff present with some degree of hearing loss. Sad to see many of them are younger people, 40's and 50's age groups. Shouldn't be with all the H&S hoohah that get pushed these days.
    " Rule books are for the Guidance of the Wise, and the Obedience of Fools"

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Sorry but you can't with current technology. Buy maybe by the time I need one ...
    Unfortunately true. Other people seem to have less trouble with hearing aids, or at least gain more benefit, but while my hearing is nominally better than actually deaf without them, and even though the aid's amplification matches the deficit across the frequency spectrum it's only slightly better with them. At least out in the real world, less noisy places I manage but there's no denying it's a significant disability.

Other people seem to manage more improvement with hearing aids. Or maybe SWMBO is right and there's some hard of listening issues as well...

Bike
    1999 Yamaha R1
    It seems that our auditory system is very good at "tuning in" to speech and filtering out other noises. This ability seems to be one of the first things affected by noise damage - I have trouble in social settings despite having only a slight measured hearing loss.

What I found, if the brain doesn't recognise sounds, like words, then it just ignores them...so you don't hear that stuff. When you wear hearing aids it recognises that stuff again....so even when you have the hearing aids out, you can still pick that stuff out pretty well because the brain has put it back in the data base.
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    2002 KTM 640 Adventure

Well If at least try...

Yep, but I guess I have to do something. The thing is, my line of work depends on communication so whatever I can do to improve or at least mitigate further loss has to be proactive.
    Maybe then my employer will look at me a little differently and realise I am a worthy employee....

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by Waihou Thumper View Post
    Yep, but I guess I have to do something. The thing is, my line of work depends on communication so whatever I can do to improve or at least mitigate further loss has to be proactive.
    Maybe then my employer will look at me a little differently and realise I am a worthy employee....
    I'd be reluctant to hide the fact that you have some hearing loss. Firstly, because your employer might misinterpret your inability to hear as an inability to listen. Secondly, because the people you work with need to know about it, it takes some time but most people eventually learn to face you when they talk so you can read their lips. And it's surprising how much difference that makes even without some hearing loss.

And if, after they understand that you have some disability they don't want you there then fuck 'em, they're not worth working for/with.

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    If you think hearing aids are expensive, wait till you price up cochlear implants - starting at (including the surgery) $50,000. The NZ health system will pay for one if you're an adult (kids get both sides done), the threshold is pretty high and the waiting list is long (in my case 4 or 5 years) but the end result for me was just amazing. I really can hear a pin drop.

And jeeze the world is NOISY!
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    91 R80GS
    Bloody interesting info here guys. I'm learning a lot about the limitations of hearing aids.
    My hearing is a bit shit & consequently I don't bother hanging around in noisy rooms or social situations anymore- I just feel like a cock nodding & grinning stupidly while trying to decipher what is being said to me & the effort is tiring. I have become pretty antisocial because of my hearing. That is a bummer really.

On the upside if I know someone is a bit deaf I now make an effort to face them & talk slightly slower & louder.
    In life as in dance Grace glides on blistered feet

Thread Information