Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Unmarked police vehicles

Bike
    1999 Yamaha R1

Unmarked police vehicles

Dunno what the KB rules are on this, thought I'd post anyway and see what the outcome is. These are simply observations and do not specifically identify the vehicle or officer.

I've pretty much stopped using a detector when I drive, but the 4 km/h tolerance is a right PITA. So I fired up the trusty old Bel RX65 on a drive to Taupo from Auckland this afternoon.

Anyway, just after the Thames turn off on SH2 it starts beeping. A few km further along, after I'd overtaken a slower vehicle, it starts getting quite animated. By this time, I was following a silver VF wagon with very dark tints (not legal?) on the rear windows.

So I followed for a while and watched ...

I guess the cops in plain cars think they're anonymous, so don't worry about their driving. Or maybe they are just your average Highway Patrol driver???

So here goes:

His positioning on the road was poor. Hugged the centre line on RH corners, and drifted to the centre line on LH corners, then cut across to the left after the apex.

Pretty much ignored road works speed limits. Went through a 50 at more than 80, and left me way behind. Not the first cop car I've seen do this.

After a car overtook him, he tried to follow without putting his lights on. I was sitting at a true 100, and he very quickly left me behind. Aren't police cars subject to road rules unless in pursuit or an emergency?

I have his rego and may take this further, in particular speeding through road works. The rest is about what I'd expect, but blatantly ignoring a speed limit is pretty shit IMHO.

I'll leave it there, as I expect the cops monitor KB. But it was very interesting to watch how he used his radar ...

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    so... How did you determine this was 5-0?

It could have been an asshole with a radar detector and your radar was getting the splash from everything he was pinging...

Bike
    a Blue one

Bike
    1999 Yamaha R1
    He eventually lit up like a Christmas tree. That's what I'll say when I report him won't mention the detector.
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    so... How did you determine this was 5-0?

It could have been an asshole with a radar detector and your radar was getting the splash from everything he was pinging...

Bike
    a red heap
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MV5BMjE4NzY5NjUxNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzc3NzMyNw@@._V1_SX640_SY720_.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	55.0 KB 
ID:	317799

Bike
    S1000RR
    You should write him a ticket.

If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

Bike
    72 Kawasaki A7, 05 Kawasaki W650
    Quote Originally Posted by Moise View Post

I'll leave it there, as I expect the cops monitor KB.
    Over inflated sense of importance right there.

Bike
    1999 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Gayner View Post
    Over inflated sense of importance right there.
    I have no idea. Do you?

What I have learnt from using a detector for over 10 years is that they are trying to get smarter. But there's a lot of variation in how radar is used, so I doubt that there are any specific procedures.

Bike
    Should have *555'd. Moments probably passed but you can send something through on-line.

IMO, waste of time, but whatever floats yer boat.

Tints like that are legal in station wagons from what I understand? If not, they are in commercial station wagons (or they were a few years ago), which a mobile popo invoicing division vehicle probably counts as.

Bike
    1980 Yamaha RD/H2 750
    He eventually lit up like a Christmas tree. That's what I'll say when I report him won't mention the detector.

Don't bother 'reporting' - it will serve no useful purpose, 'cept maybe get you on a 'watch/check' list..

'Rules of engagement' for mufti cars ( they are a significant % of cop cars) includes instigation/entrapment roles - as SOP..

They can even discreetly pace you while you rack up up a bunch of infringements, then pull you up & hand you the lot..

Wonder what the highway pursuit teams will use when the big Aussie V8s go extinct next year.. Euro-turbo, or US muscle?

Bike
    1999 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazz View Post
    Should have *555'd. Moments probably passed but you can send something through on-line.

Tints like that are legal in station wagons from what I understand? If not, they are in commercial station wagons (or they were a few years ago), which a mobile popo invoicing division vehicle probably counts as.
    I have the darkest legal tint on my wagon and the tints on the unmarked car were black in comparison.

Yeah, I forgot about *555. Dashcam footage would have been good also.

Bike
    1999 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by J.A.W. View Post
    Don't bother 'reporting' - it will serve no useful purpose, 'cept maybe get you on a 'watch/check' list..

'Rules of engagement' for mufti cars ( they are a significant % of cop cars) includes instigation/entrapment roles - as SOP..

They can even discreetly pace you while you rack up up a bunch of infringements, then pull you up & hand you the lot..

Wonder what the highway pursuit teams will use when the big Aussie V8s go extinct next year.. Euro-turbo, or US muscle?
    There are far more unmarked cars than most people realise, which you very quickly find out when you run a detector. Most of them seem to be Commodore wagons for some reason.

I generally take it quietly on main roads. Just too much of everything - traffic, trucks and cops.

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Quote Originally Posted by J.A.W. View Post

Oh Lordy, he's back....
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    I have the darkest legal tint on my wagon and the tints on the unmarked car were black in comparison.

Yeah, I forgot about *555. Dashcam footage would have been good also.
    Fair enough. I blacked mine out to 5% but had a 4x4 which I think have different rules.
    I'm wrong about the commercial vehicle thing to. That is overseas now that I think about it.

Either way it's bit shit but there has always been double standards when it comes to those with the power and those without.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazz View Post

i was told, not more than 6 months ago, that any signage or tintage on my sick ass magna station wagon, would be illegal like a motherfucker.
    "a ruling has come down" was the wording...

Also. Since cops have a fucking bootload of weapons, they probly wantem tinted so no murrays can see whats in there without breaking in.

Thread Information