Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vozz strapless rear-entry helmet

Bike
    Indian Scout
    Quote Originally Posted by caseye View Post
    Hey MD, and now that you've had it a goodlong time?
    Rain, Misting,only real issues?
    Cheers.
    Shit has it been a year with it already. Bloody time flies as you get older.
    Still very pleased with the Vozz. One year old, plenty of use and looks brand new.

These are minor annoyances. Yes it does mist up at the bottom of visor too easily when at a halt. Clears in 2 seconds once moving again. Upside is once moving in freezing weather your entire head/face/chin are warmer than with other lids!

The dark visor is at the darker end of tinting. May look cool but in twilight/night riding for me diminishes my vision a bit. So that means on tour having to pack the clear and at the worse of winter I stopped using it for commute because I leave home and return in the dark. As I said earlier if it came with a self-tinting visor like Bell offer it would be the perfect lid for me. Using my Shark with internal visor for these darkness commutes reminds me how quiet and comfortable the Vozz is.

One other thing I discovered is with really thick neck clothing or a loose balaclava (like I sometimes wear) or my shirt with a hoody that I pull up over my head, it can get in the way of the closure mechanism. As the two halves come together they can catch loose fitting clothing. Again a minor thing you need to adapt too.

Worse thing is I sold the green Zed and tried to sell the green Vozz with the bike but the new owner had just bought a new lid. If he had taken my green Vozz I would have immediate bought another - once I knew what colour bike I was getting.

As a safety issue it has occurred to me that there is no way a rider on his own with say a broken arm would be able to remove his helmet. It can only be released by using both hands at the same instant. Mind you plenty of riders probably need two hands to pull a tight fitted lid off.

I guess to summarise if I was offered a free exchange for any other helmet, I would say no thanks.
    Happiness is a means of travel, not a destination

Bike
    Kawasaki H2A 1973
    Quote Originally Posted by MD View Post
    Shit has it been a year with it already. Bloody time flies as you get older.
    Still very pleased with the Vozz. One year old, plenty of use and looks brand new.

These are minor annoyances. Yes it does mist up at the bottom of visor too easily when at a halt. Clears in 2 seconds once moving again. Upside is once moving in freezing weather your entire head/face/chin are warmer than with other lids!

The dark visor is at the darker end of tinting. May look cool but in twilight/night riding for me diminishes my vision a bit. So that means on tour having to pack the clear and at the worse of winter I stopped using it for commute because I leave home and return in the dark. As I said earlier if it came with a self-tinting visor like Bell offer it would be the perfect lid for me. Using my Shark with internal visor for these darkness commutes reminds me how quiet and comfortable the Vozz is.

One other thing I discovered is with really thick neck clothing or a loose balaclava (like I sometimes wear) or my shirt with a hoody that I pull up over my head, it can get in the way of the closure mechanism. As the two halves come together they can catch loose fitting clothing. Again a minor thing you need to adapt too.

Worse thing is I sold the green Zed and tried to sell the green Vozz with the bike but the new owner had just bought a new lid. If he had taken my green Vozz I would have immediate bought another - once I knew what colour bike I was getting.

As a safety issue it has occurred to me that there is no way a rider on his own with say a broken arm would be able to remove his helmet. It can only be released by using both hands at the same instant. Mind you plenty of riders probably need two hands to pull a tight fitted lid off.

I guess to summarise if I was offered a free exchange for any other helmet, I would say no thanks.
    I have not seen a Vozz, if you are in an accident and a medic needs to remove the helmet, would they be trained to know the Vozz or is the undo mechanism an obvious one?

Bike
    Valkyrie 1500 ,HD softail, BMW r1150r
    Does anybody sell Vozz helmets in unzed?...
    Google didn't come up with anything.....
    Am keen to try/buy.
    Opinions are like arseholes: Everybody has got one, but that doesn't mean you got to air it in public all the time....

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by awayatc View Post
    Does anybody sell Vozz helmets in unzed?...
    Google didn't come up with anything.....
    Am keen to try/buy.
    All I've been able to find is a Facebook page for Vozz, but it seems shipping is from Aussie.

Call me old fashioned, but I kinda like to try a helmet on before I buy.

Bike
    Valkyrie 1500 ,HD softail, BMW r1150r

eek

Ok I will call you old fashioned

Nothing wrong with that.....

Same for me.....

Some things you need to try on before you buy
    Opinions are like arseholes: Everybody has got one, but that doesn't mean you got to air it in public all the time....

Bike
    Indian Scout
    I had to buy unseen from Oz. Fits perfect. Watch out for import duty costs.

Accident removal- a slight concern to be true. The release slide catch/button is quite obvious on each side. But would a stranger know that there is a catch ON EACH side of your cheeks? AND they must both be moved at the same time. Pressing one, then the other will never work.

Bike
    1987 MZ ETZ 300
    Quote Originally Posted by KawasakiKid View Post
    I have not seen a Vozz, if you are in an accident and a medic needs to remove the helmet, would they be trained to know the Vozz or is the undo mechanism an obvious one?
    The latches are pretty obvious on the sides, and even if they don't see them, there are labels/arrows point to the latches on the bottom edge that are pretty obvious if the helmet is lying on its side/back etc along with a QR code for the emergency removal instructions when they need to remove it without moving the neck at all, basically with a screwdriver you can disconnect the hinge and catches so you can lift the whole front section off and out of the way.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9fSveKnl.jpeg 
Views:	39 
Size:	34.8 KB 
ID:	333480

Bike
    1987 MZ ETZ 300
    Quote Originally Posted by MD View Post
    You're not trying hard enough :P
    Its actually quite easy to remove one handed. Pop the latch on one side, and pull the front part of the helmet away from you, slowly but firmly while holding the latch you will find a spot where the side you unlatched will disengage a bit from its latching slot and will not reengage without a little bit of force, once its popped out you can just reach around and pop the other side and off it comes, though you want to be careful not to knock the helmet as you reach around as it's a fine line between unlocked and locked and a knock will probably relock it.

Basically there is a little bit of slop in the hinge so that it doesn't jam if its not closed equally, exploit that and you can remove it one handed.

Cheers

A.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by catatonicChimp View Post

Basically there is a little bit of slop in the hinge so that it doesn't jam if its not closed equally, exploit that and you can remove it one handed.

Cheers

A.
    most of us "normies" don't feel the need to post online about our one-handed exploits..

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ...or our endless love, or our bottomless pit or strapless brassieres or even our outstanding bills...but we do...

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDR
    Well after three and a half years and 75,000km, I decided to retire the Arai Rebel and buy a Vozz.

Certainly very different than what I'm used to, but it's very quiet and warm by comparison. It's comfy, but then I'd say it's no more comfy than any of the Arai's that I've owned, however there is more clearance to the chin bar and I quite like that. I tried wearing my sunnies with the Vozz, but found them terrible with huge pressure points to the side of my head and nose. Good thing it came with a tinted visor, so I'll give that a go without the sunnies. A combination I've never tried, in fact I've never had a tinted visor.

Got to say I have to agree with Katman on ascetics though. I think this has got to be one of the ugliest helmets I've ever seen too, however that shit doesn't bother me. Function over form and all that and I love the way this goes on and comes off.
    Nunquam Non Paratus

Bike
    Indian Scout
    Good on you owl for stepping outside of the comfort zone and trying something different. Yeah at times I think it looks OK then ...maybe not so OK. I have found the visor fogs up too easily for winter use.

Bike
    Old Bikes
    http://www.motorcyclelife.com.au/mar...-radiopodcast/

Link to interview with the Vozz bloke

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    I like the ability to lift the face on my modular helmet. I tried a Voss on when last in Adelaide, and realised it's not for me.

I think the Voss is probably awesome in a crash, and for removal by emergency services. It's not so user friendly for the 99.9% of it's use for things that are not crash related.

Do you dress only for the crash, or for the 99.9 % of the time you don't crash?

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    I tried a Voss on when last in Adelaide, and realised it's not for me.
    Good thing this thread is about Vozz then.
    Nunquam Non Paratus

Thread Information