Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fatbob suspension upgrades

Bike
    Dont have one now
    Quote Originally Posted by old slider View Post
    I have been and still am struggling with the differing opinions I have received from other HD owners.
    On what???

Bike
    W650 sidecar & HD Fat Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by skippa1 View Post
    On what???
    The local HD owners ( to be fair it is only a hand full) I have asked regarding the closest HD dealership for getting services and repair work done is not clear cut, their appears to be differing views on perceived value for money and satisfaction with workmanship. I am a first time HD owner and will more than likely travel to Palmerston North for the closest HD dealership to do the required services etc.

I have always believed that those who work on a particular brand whether its car or bike gain a better understanding of their ins and outs, but as someone stated maybe they can become a bit less passionate with working on similar bikes all the time, I don't know.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    The local HD owners ( to be fair it is only a hand full) I have asked regarding the closest HD dealership for getting services and repair work done is not clear cut, their appears to be differing views on perceived value for money and satisfaction with workmanship. I am a first time HD owner and will more than likely travel to Palmerston North for the closest HD dealership to do the required services etc.

I have always believed that those who work on a particular brand whether its car or bike gain a better understanding of their ins and outs, but as someone stated maybe they can become a bit less passionate with working on similar bikes all the time, I don't know.
    Passionate? What the fuck are you cunts on about

Given the option of getting a dude who knows a bike inside out or an enthusiastic guy, gimme the guy who's not gonna wreck my shit every bloody time.

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post

Given the option of getting a dude who knows a bike inside out or an enthusiastic guy, gimme the guy who's not gonna wreck my shit every bloody time.
    Good point. I'm getting a little tired of the sight of BMW cars these days, but last week I had occasion to remedy a total fuck up attempted repair of an X3 outer door handle by another garage that had no idea about them.
    It was a trail of permanently damaged components & a door that wouldn't open from either inside or outside & demonstrated a complete lack of understanding of how the product was held together, if not total stupidity.
    I was also quite passionate to install a heat pump in my lounge recently, but never regretted getting a trained professional in that brand to do it, even if he did make me go away so I couldn't watch him.

Bike

Thank you,
    this was my original train of thought, but a previous remark in this thread and some negative comments did have me contemplating my decision, one comment I found interesting was a local HD owner who used local for his normal service type stuff, but then travels to the HD dealership for the bigger services like the 16000, 32000 and 48,000km etc., said something about they can hook up some computer? to check things which the local guy is unable to do?

This bike has previously only been touched by the Wellington HD dealership, luckily I received all the service/work records etc when purchasing the bike from its previous owner, obviously I am not going to travel to wellington.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    Good point. I'm getting a little tired of the sight of BMW cars these days, but last week I had occasion to remedy a total fuck up attempted repair of an X3 outer door handle by another garage that had no idea about them.
    It was a trail of permanently damaged components & a door that wouldn't open from either inside or outside & demonstrated a complete lack of understanding of how the product was held together, if not total stupidity.
    I was also quite passionate to install a heat pump in my lounge recently, but never regretted getting a trained professional in that brand to do it, even if he did make me go away so I couldn't watch him.
    Understand that completely, just had a timing belt and water pump replaced by a mate who (thought) he knew, after a few little hiccups another guy who works on these vehicles for a living said there are a few things that he didn't.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    obviously I am not going to travel to wellington.
    Not when there are only shit roads betwixt there and here!

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Other than the bigger servicing what is done on a HD other oils and filters?

I googled - official HD site wanted me to log in! Must be a secret. But I found this:

http://www.syshd.com.au/show-me/harl...ance-schedule/

Most of the list in either column is stuff you should be checking or lubricating yourself IMO when you clean your bike.

One good thing about a brand dealer is they do have any specialty tools that are required - a example is my Ducatis headset nut is not a traditional socket nut - it's a spiffy looking thing that requires a special tool. Very pretty - but I need a special tool ..... (Italians aye).

Now being a HD it is entirely possible the tools required to service it are a cold chisel and hammer but I bet you lunch you can buy a official Motor Company branded cold chisel and hammer made of real American iron But I jest. As a total, hopefully you'll never need to use reason to go to the HD man for the big services is if they f-it up they will have limited excuse in a litigated defense as bloody hell if they don't know what they are doing who does!

Re computer plug in - yes - just about every bike is computer controlled now so the factory plug in and check is a good thing to have done - they will also download any upgrades the factory issued for your model.

Having said the above there are some bloody good mechanics who are not affiliated to a specific brand who have loyal followings.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Other than the bigger servicing what is done on a HD other oils and filters?

I googled - official HD site wanted me to log in! Must be a secret. But I found this:

http://www.syshd.com.au/show-me/harl...ance-schedule/

Most of the list in either column is stuff you should be checking or lubricating yourself IMO when you clean your bike.

One good thing about a brand dealer is they do have any specialty tools that are required - a example is my Ducatis headset nut is not a traditional socket nut - it's a spiffy looking thing that requires a special tool. Very pretty - but I need a special tool ..... (Italians aye).

Now being a HD it is entirely possible the tools required to service it are a cold chisel and hammer but I bet you lunch you can buy a official Motor Company branded cold chisel and hammer made of real American iron But I jest. As a total, hopefully you'll never need to use reason to go to the HD man for the big services is if they f-it up they will have limited excuse in a litigated defense as bloody hell if they don't know what they are doing who does!

Re computer plug in - yes - just about every bike is computer controlled now so the factory plug in and check is a good thing to have done - they will also download any upgrades the factory issued for your model.

Having said the above there are some bloody good mechanics who are not affiliated to a specific brand who have loyal followings.

My understanding is normal servicing covers engine and transmission oil and filter ,and (as you said as part of our cleaning and pre riding inspection) , oil lines, brake systems etc, air filter, clutch adjustment, drive belt inspection and adjustment, throttle, brake and clutch levers adjust and lubricate, side stand inspect and lubricate, fuel lines, check brake fluid, and brake pads, spark plugs, electrical systems, front fork oil is replaced after certain kms, steering head bearings adjusted every 8000kms and disassembled, lubricated and inspected every 48000km, Rear fork bearings inspect every 48000km, engine mounts and stabalizer links inspect every 16,000kms, Apparently The Fat Bob has or had crap rear wheel bearings and they recommend replacing with each tyre change, their failure can be rather nasty from reading reports on the Fat Bob forum.

ps, HD sell a special tool that's needed to adjust the rear shockys, I think my oil filter removal tool will suffice.

Bike
    Not when there are only shit roads betwixt there and here!

Probably more to do with the trouble a small town boy would get into let loose in the big smoke.

Bike
    Why would you go any where else?

After asking a question or two, Robert Taylor from Kiwi Suspension Solutions Ltd sent me a very detailed explanation of how suspension actually works and advise on what upgrades he recommends.

Pleased to say the HD cruiser will be getting a set of specific Ohlin twin shocks and the front end is also getting a birthday with damper rod modifications, race tech Emulators, springs and preload spacers.

Looking forward to a much improved Fat Bob, then its the sidecars turn.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez

After asking a question or two, Robert Taylor from Kiwi Suspension Solutions Ltd sent me a very detailed explanation of how suspension actually works and advise on what upgrades he recommends.

Pleased to say the HD cruiser will be getting a set of specific Ohlin twin shocks and the front end is also getting a birthday with damper rod modifications, race tech Emulators, springs and preload spacers.

I'm surprised the forks aren't cartridge type already.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    I'm surprised the forks aren't cartridge type already.
    Its a Harley, they only just caught up with the whole overhead cam thing......

Bike
    Street Triple R
    , gimme the guy who's not gonna wreck my shitter every bloody time.
    We have the same taste in men it seems....
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Street Triple R

So much this. That is without doubt the best money you can spend on a motorcycle.

I just wonder whether when all suspension is electronic (BMW, the up-spec MT10 and M1R) it will do them out of a job. Though the review of the MT10 I just read said "why would you pay 30% more for the ESA when the base one is so good?
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Thread Information