Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Glad I didn't overtake!

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    Must admit my thinking was more along the lines of highways or stretches of road without gates or drive ways. My brain doesn't comprehend why people would multi-pass in residential areas (which often have speed restrictions - and multi-overtaking often requires, ahem, greater than the speed limit to do).
    Just because you can't see a gateway or driveway ... doesn't mean there wont be one there ...

The less time spent on the wrong side the better ... right .. ??? regardless of your speed ... right .. ?? or have I got it wrong ... again .. ???
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Mine
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    Must admit my thinking was more along the lines of highways or stretches of road without gates or drive ways. My brain doesn't comprehend why people would multi-pass in residential areas (which often have speed restrictions - and multi-overtaking often requires, ahem, greater than the speed limit to do).
    Coming in to Tuakau there is a 70kph that often has people doing 50 with a queue behind. I've been known to pass up to three cars at a time on the 100kph stretch immediately before that for that reason. And yes, there is a driveway on the right and a school on the left. I won't do it if there are kids or other vehicles about.

Driveways are not a big deal if you're aware of them and prepared for the inevitable.

Today I pulled out to pass said three cars. Got past two and the front one put their right indicator on to go into said driveway. No drama. Because I was alert (not like someone here I could mention who shall remain cassina) I braked and pulled nicely in behind and passed them on the left.

Which brings me to another point. If one is going to pass more than one car make sure that there is an out between each pair of cars just in case. Stood me in good stead today.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

Bike
    Mine
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    I've seen plenty who have pulled out (turning left) on to a street/highway from a driveway (often their own) ... and not looking for traffic on their left. Only checking to their right.

How many people here do/have done exactly that from their own driveway ... ?? (City OR rural)

As always ... to be seen on the wrong side of the road/street .. they have to look for you there.
    We were taught in school to look "right, left, right" before crossing the road. To me it was blindingly obvious when I learned to drive that it matters not a jot whether you're walking or driving.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by swbarnett View Post
    We were taught in school to look "right, left, right" before crossing the road. To me it was blindingly obvious when I learned to drive that it matters not a jot whether you're walking or driving.
    I made NO mention of CROSSING the road ...

I did mention the turning LEFT onto a road ... which is not actually crossing the road.

Bike
    Quiet plodder

I did mention the turning LEFT onto a road ... which is not actually crossing the road.
    Good to see FJRider is back

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    '08 Wee

When checking left and right you are checking for the initial section of the road. You are checking again when you come to the second lane. The check isn't the only check you should be doing when you cross all the way. At least that was how I was taught, but it has been a long time since I was last in a kindy

The reason you need to check there, when going across the whole street or just into the first lane is to make sure there aren't muppets there (either cutting a corner or over taking or a number of other issues) bah

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rambaldi View Post
    When checking left and right you are checking for the initial section of the road. You are checking again when you come to the second lane. The check isn't the only check you should be doing when you cross all the way. At least that was how I was taught, but it has been a long time since I was last in a kindy

The reason you need to check there, when going across the whole street or just into the first lane is to make sure there aren't muppets there (either cutting a corner or over taking or a number of other issues) bah
    I was thinking more along the lines of a two way street or road. Not multi lane.

What checks should be done ... and checks that ARE done ... vary considerably ... (regardless of the intended direction of travel) but the turning LEFT onto a street or open road (from a driveway) ... usually gets fewer checks to the left.

Bike
    '08 Wee
    I was thinking more along the lines of a two way street or road. Not multi lane.

What checks should be done ... and checks that ARE done ... vary considerably ... (regardless of the intended direction of travel) but the turning LEFT onto a street or open road (from a driveway) ... usually gets fewer checks to the left.
    So was I, just using the term other lane to refer to the bit of the road going way opposite to the bit of the road you cross first.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rambaldi View Post
    So was I, just using the term other lane to refer to the bit of the road going way opposite to the bit of the road you cross first.
    if you are turning left onto a road ... you do no cross any lane.

This thread is about the risks of overtaking. And what you may encounter whilst overtaking.

Vehicles (usually locals) pulling out to the left from (hidden or not) driveways is always a risk ..

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    And what you may encounter whilst overtaking. Vehicles (usually locals) pulling out to the left from (hidden or not) driveways is always a risk ..
    Farmers on trikes are good at appearing from behind hedges up our way, they head straight out onto the road often crossing the median in order to turn left.

Had also items like tractors turn right without indication or a car in front of large vehicle suddenly stop and turn right when they are out of sight in front of the vehicle I am following.

When overtaking I often see muppets on the other side turn left without looking - so bad is their driving they need to cross the median into my line of traffic, it pays to be aware.

Undertaking or Overtaking on a multilateral road can be fun too when the drag strip narrows to one lane less.

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    Mine
    Indeed, you are correct. The salient point I saw in that wisdom (which I omitted to mention) was crossing the threshold from footpath to road (or driveway to road, one road to another, lane to lane etc..)

Again you are most definitely correct. However, as stated above, it does come under the category of "crossing the threshold".

Bike
    Mine
    Vehicles (usually locals) pulling out to the left from (hidden or not) driveways is always a risk ..
    Don't think you'll get much argument there. I'll just add that it doesn't have to be left. I've had someone pull out of a driveway on the left side of the road and turn right across the traffic I was overtaking - right in to my path.

Bike
    Suzuki Smash 2016. (Yes, really!)

Is this what yellow lines mean?

This was sent to me by a Facebook friend. The rider survived...

https://www.facebook.com/boykalbo/vi...06929243524040

This happened north of Manila on, (I think) Valentine's day.
    "Statistics are used as a drunk uses lampposts - for support, not illumination."

Bike
    Baby Gixxer
    Blog Entries
    Just because you can't see a gateway or driveway ... doesn't mean there wont be one there ...

The less time spent on the wrong side the better ... right .. ??? regardless of your speed ... right .. ?? or have I got it wrong ... again .. ???
    Yes dear.

The reality is that bikes are going to continue to pass multiple vehicles for the same reason dogs lick their balls - just because they can (as well as due to some strangely compelling need to sometimes). The safety or otherwise of this activity varies in different situations. The twats who do it "dangerously" are probably wired to do other riding stuff in this manner as well.
    I lahk to moove eet moove eet...

Katman to steveb64
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I'd hate to ever have to admit that my arse had been owned by a Princess.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by eldog View Post
    Farmers on trikes are good at appearing from behind hedges up our way, they head straight out onto the road often crossing the median in order to turn left.

Had also items like tractors turn right without indication or a car in front of large vehicle suddenly stop and turn right when they are out of sight in front of the vehicle I am following.

When overtaking I often see muppets on the other side turn left without looking - so bad is their driving they need to cross the median into my line of traffic, it pays to be aware.

Undertaking or Overtaking on a multilateral road can be fun too when the drag strip narrows to one lane less.
    The first three are common on deserted rural roads ... because they've done it so often ... it's just the usual driving behavior. They know where they're going ... so you should know as well ... they do it every day.

Even two lane roads ...with a 100 metres of straight road ... everyone wants a go at getting past. Even if the horsepower they have makes it a struggle. (or their position in the queue makes it difficult to achieve safely)

Thread Information