Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Honda HISS key duplication?

Bike
    2006 Honda VFR800 ABS

Honda HISS key duplication?

Hi Guys,

I only have one key & fob for my VFR800 and have investigated duplicating them myself. Blank HISS keys seem to be about $15 dollars on ebay and the cable to perform the task is about $50.

I have several questions:

Has anyone in the Wellington region already have the tools and blanks that I may borrow/buy?
    Which would be the cheapest dealer to have them do it?
    Where do you get the fobs from? I can't find them anywhere *yet*.

If I was to purchase the cables and blanks myself is anyone else interested in duplicates?

Cheers,

Phil

Bike
    2006 Honda VFR800 ABS
    With the assistance of a couple of guys on Facebook I have determined what I have is the Honda Averto Alarm. Now I just have to figure out how to make it do my bidding. I have also found where to duplicate my key/rfid and Averto fob.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Any decent key-cutter will supply a matching key. Honda dealer will code it for you

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    My previous ST1300 only came with 1 key, it seems risky not having a spare so I got Honda Hamilton to order me in a new HISS blank key. I took it to a key cutter to have it cut to match the existing key, it worked fine for turning the ignition after that. Then I took it back to Honda Hamilton to have them program the bikes computer to accept that 2nd key.
    I can't remember what this cost, sorry.

My suggestion would be to go to a Honda dealer and ask about getting the key & fob, they should be able to tell you the price & availability.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable
    "If the cops didn't see it, I didn't do it!"
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    R nine T
    Had one done couple of years ago, was $60 that was a new key, cut and programed ,could be a bit more now though.

Bike
    2006 Honda VFR800 ABS
    With Motomart not sounding very sure I may buy a couple of ID46 RFIDs and matching keys off e-bay if I muster up the courage. Otherwise I'll mish out to Palmy and get the Honda dealer there to sort it - he is definitely familiar.

If I do the former I'll put the result here for others. Should make it only cost ~$30 for a couple of keys to be coded.

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    I, too, had to get a spare key for the Honda [what is it with Honda owners, can't they keep the spare key safe??] and bought a blank, had it cut by a locksmith and had it programmed by a local Honda dealer. Can't remember the cost but that's irrelevant when you consider the cost involved if you lose the key...

Much easier than following the instructions for do-it-yourself programming - which I have somewhere...

Bike
    Vfr800

Hiss key

Pleep..

How did you go with this? As im currently in the same situation.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacksonvfr View Post
    Pleep..

Don;t know how he got on but a Honda Hornet HISS key and reprogram was something pushing $200 last year. Cheaper than losing the only remaining key though!

Bike
    2006 Honda VFR800 ABS
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacksonvfr View Post
    Pleep..

I am intending to play it safe and go to the guys in Palmy but haven't quite got around to it - although I have driven there several times recently.

Still tempting to construct the wiring to do it myself but I think my wife would do nasty things if I managed to reset it entirely and lose the use of my current key.

Bike is worth more than our car so get a little paranoid.

Bike
    little suzy, little ho
    I had a new key coded at motomart a couple of years ago - cracked CB900F key.

No issues, wasn't wildly expensive and pretty quick - I had the key pre cut.

Bike
    2006 Honda VFR800 ABS
    OK. I now have two aftermarket keys cut with ID46 rfid inside. I also have the cable required to perform the programming.

Unfortunately my battery just decided to die so the result will have to wait.

Assuming it turns out as easy as I expect it is far cheaper, and potentially quicker, than getting it done at a bike shop. The only issue I had was that since Mister Minit didn't have the same keys they refused to cut them in case it was done wrong. Beveridge Locksmiths agreed to under the caveat that if they did it wrong it was on me. I checked and they confirmed they had keys in stock that would work fine although lacking the rfid. This means if you need more keys you can get them from Beveridge Locksmiths and then purchase the ebay id46 rfids (available in packs of ten) which could then be glued to the key or fob.

Bike
    CB1300
    I just bought one of these:http://m.ebay.com/itm/331915663835 from a guy in Poland with good rep.
    Chip + key and free cutting from your tag ID.
    According to my manual, you only need the programming cable if you don't have a working key.
    I'll let you know how I get on if and when my key arrives.

Sent from Tapatalk. DYAC

Bike
    2006 Honda VFR800 ABS
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
    I just bought one of these:http://m.ebay.com/itm/331915663835 from a guy in Poland with good rep.
    Chip + key and free cutting from your tag ID.
    According to my manual, you only need the programming cable if you don't have a working key.
    I'll let you know how I get on if and when my key arrives.

Sent from Tapatalk. DYAC
    Ahh, I found him the first time I looked but couldn't find him when I went back to actually do it. Yeah, he would be a good option too.

My impression is that the cable is needed since you must put the ECU in programming mode (through the crank angle sensor connection I think) to add additional keys. You can't do it if you don't have at least one functional key beforehand. In saying that - Let me know how you get on, of course.

Bike
    bike sold :-(
    Quote Originally Posted by Phleep View Post
    Ahh, I found him the first time I looked but couldn't find him when I went back to actually do it. Yeah, he would be a good option too.

My impression is that the cable is needed since you must put the ECU in programming mode (through the crank angle sensor connection I think) to add additional keys. You can't do it if you don't have at least one functional key beforehand. In saying that - Let me know how you get on, of course.
    Yes you are right you need the cable to put the ECU into programming mode so it will recognize the new keys.

Thread Information