Thread: I can't see this catching on here but one never knows

Bike
    Wots I gots.

I can't see this catching on here but one never knows

(Allegedly) Failproof Motorcycle Airbag Suit - Dainese D-Air racing Misano Suit:

http://www.popsci.com/best-of-whats-new-2015/recreation

Motorcycle airbag suits and jackets have been around for years and typically require a tether, attached to the bike, to deploy. That’s a problem if you’re not thrown from the bike during a spill, and if they don't deploy quick enough. The D-Air is the first one in the U.S. that doesn’t require a tether. The suit uses a suite of sensors that detects movement of the body or an imminent crash to trigger airbag deployment. This all happens in just 30 milliseconds. Although it’s been available in Europe since 2012, it just reached the U.S. in September of this year. $2,500

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bown2015_recreation_dainesemisano.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	49.4 KB 
ID:	318186

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    There was discussion about these in a recent thread but I can't see it after a quick search. As time passes they may catch on - especially if the price comes down.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Wots I gots.
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    There was discussion about these in a recent thread but I can't see it after a quick search. As time passes they may catch on - especially if the price comes down.
    If there was some evidence-based testing available then commuters and high mileage riders, as well as the others who would like the additional protection, amongst our group may wish to invest in this. I just can't find at the moment any independently verified research that shows this is actually going to protect us from the "usual" SMIDSY injuries. Would appreciate any links that show how effective this can be compared to usual ATGATT (which for me is full-face helmet year-round, mesh jacket in summer / leather or textile jacket in winter, gauntlets, & SIDI boots.

Bike
    A
    I see the new FJR is ready to accept the on bike sensors and stuff to deploy the D-Air type of riding kit. Not sure on the injury protection value of such stuff myself, but then we didn't think much of airbags on cars when they first appeared either...

Bike
    CB1300
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    I see the new FJR is ready to accept the on bike sensors and stuff to deploy the D-Air type of riding kit. Not sure on the injury protection value of such stuff myself, but then we didn't think much of airbags on cars when they first appeared either...
    The first few iterations had limited benefits before a few people crash rated them in the real world and provided real data in sensitivity, placement, materials and other considerations that could not be tested for with a dummy.

Not that keen to pay good money to be a crash test dummy. This is the sort of tech i would rather not be an early adopter.
    Sent via tapatalk.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Well well, widespread uptake may be delayed? Dainese and Alpine Stars are headed to court to sort out patent infringement matters over the airbag suits.

This may get a bit complicated because Dainese had permitted other manufacturers to incorporate the Dainese D-Air system into their suits. Maybe Alpine Stars decided to save the royalty fees? Who knows? It's all a bit murky thus far and accounts vary, but legal action has apparently commenced in both German and Italian courts.

Watch this space...
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Niken, Hypermotard, ST1100, F650, Evoke
    I've been thinking about getting an airbag equipped jacket.

First search shows up Alpinestars Tech-Air system for about $2000, sold only in Europe and needs to go back to Aussie for service.

More digging and found these in NZ for $350 and a simple DIY $20 recharge.
    http://www.cnell.com/air-bag-jacket-jcair-2051.html

Anyone here have any experience with airbag jackets ?

Bike
    '09 Bandit 1250s
    Quote Originally Posted by Euro2018 View Post
    I've been thinking about getting an airbag equipped jacket.

First search shows up Alpinestars Tech-Air system for about $2000, sold only in Europe and needs to go back to Aussie for service.

More digging and found these in NZ for $350 and a simple DIY $20 recharge.
    http://www.cnell.com/air-bag-jacket-jcair-2051.html

Anyone here have any experience with airbag jackets ?
    I have an air vest, never set it off mind you. It had a tether to the bike. A few of the guys at speedway wear them when racing. When they go off they seem to squeeze your chest a lot. You want to unzip your jacket pretty quick.

Bike
    Which vest do you have ?

Road & Sport are specialing out a couple of Helite Airnest vests, but the makers website says they are more for racing than road use. Looking at the videos the Helite seems to have minimal neck protection.

The Motoair jacket being offered for $350 on TradeMe looks pretty good, including good neck protection but I'm suspicious of the price.

Bike
    '09 Bandit 1250s
    Quote Originally Posted by Euro2018 View Post
    Which vest do you have ?

Road & Sport are specialing out a couple of Helite Airnest vests, but the makers website says they are more for racing than road use. Looking at the videos the Helite seems to have minimal neck protection.

The Motoair jacket being offered for $350 on TradeMe looks pretty good, including good neck protection but I'm suspicious of the price.
    Point 2 air vest. Was around the $2k Mark.

Bike
    I emailed the MotorAir seller (Cnell.com, NZ) with a few questions about their airbag jacket.
    Asked about CE certification, does it zip to my pants and all they could do was provide links to their website and the manufacturers website, neither of which answered my questions.

I've decided to give the MotoAir jacket a miss if they can't provide basic information like this.

Still in the market for a <$1000 airbag jacket if anybody comes across something.
    Sorry, can't stretch to a $2000 Alpinestars (and it needs to go to Italy for servicing anyway).

Thread Information