Thread: Rider from the other side of the road

Bike
    1981 Honda CB900c

Rider from the other side of the road

Hello everyone!
    I just joined up to get some insight on riding in NZ, registering a bike, and, most importantly, not buying a turd. I'll be attending the University of Otago for about four months, but since I'm coming from America and I'm relatively broke, I can't afford to take a bike with me. I ride as often as I can, provided that my bikes aren't broken, which seems to happen all too often , but that's probably because I own two projects (1974 Honda CB360 and 1981 Honda CB900c).

Bike
    CB1300
    Quote Originally Posted by Jcloutier View Post
    Hello everyone!
    I just joined up to get some insight on riding in NZ, registering a bike, and, most importantly, not buying a turd. I'll be attending the University of Otago for about four months, but since I'm coming from America and I'm relatively broke, I can't afford to take a bike with me. I ride as often as I can, provided that my bikes aren't broken, which seems to happen all too often , but that's probably because I own two projects (1974 Honda CB360 and 1981 Honda CB900c).
    Hello J.
    Lots of scope there.
    www.trademe.co.nz should give you some idea of price... just keep in mind most are over optimistic by at least 10%.
    Www.ltnz.govt.nz should anse your questions regarding registration laws etc.
    http://rightcar.govt.nz/rego shows:
    < 650 cc will cost ~$411.
    > or = 650 cc ~$520.

registration may be included in your purchase. Check because it is a big additional cost.

Mechanical pre purchase inspections are relatively cheap. I'd definitely consider one if buying before you get here.

Do you have a license or will you need to get one on arrival?
    What sorry of budget do you have in mind?
    Does that include any more gear you will need?

Sent via tapatalk.

Bike
    The Black Pearl
    Blog Entries
    Welcome to NZ, and good luck with your studies. Where in the USA are you from? My wife is from NOLA.

Please be careful, and make sure you stay on the correct side of the road. It can be bloody difficult to fight something so deeply ingrained.
    Keep on chooglin'

Bike
    2015 KLR650
    Welcome to the forum bud, and NZ of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Smifffy View Post
    It can be bloody difficult to fight something so deeply ingrained.
    Good point.. bit easier in a car as your sitting on the other side of the vehicle, not so on 2 wheels = easier to forget!

Bike
    1981 Honda CB900c
    Quote Originally Posted by Smifffy View Post
    Welcome to NZ, and good luck with your studies. Where in the USA are you from? My wife is from NOLA.

Please be careful, and make sure you stay on the correct side of the road. It can be bloody difficult to fight something so deeply ingrained.
    I'm from central Massachusetts. It will feel weird being on the other side for sure, but I think I'll get used to it after a bit. My grandfather used to drive on the other side of the road, but that wasn't because he was from outside the states; he was just a really bad driver. Thanks for the luck; I'll probably need it since I'm not sure how different courses are. Also, is that a CCR reference on your profile?

Bike
    1981 Honda CB900c
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
    Hello J.
    Lots of scope there.
    www.trademe.co.nz should give you some idea of price... just keep in mind most are over optimistic by at least 10%.
    Www.ltnz.govt.nz should anse your questions regarding registration laws etc.
    http://rightcar.govt.nz/rego shows:
    < 650 cc will cost ~$411.
    > or = 650 cc ~$520.

registration may be included in your purchase. Check because it is a big additional cost.

Mechanical pre purchase inspections are relatively cheap. I'd definitely consider one if buying before you get here.

Do you have a license or will you need to get one on arrival?
    What sorry of budget do you have in mind?
    Does that include any more gear you will need?

Sent via tapatalk.
    Thanks for the links and tips, Big Dog. I'll have my license upon arrival, but I'll need to go to a registry and make sure I'm allowed to ride in NZ. I've read that an American license is valid, but I may have to take a theory test. I'm just glad that I don't have to go through the process of getting a NZ motorcycle license; it seems like a pretty drawn-out task. In the US, without ever having ridden a motorcycle, you can take a computerized test, walk out with your permit, and go buy a 1000cc street rocket in the same day. As long as you have the money to do that, nobody questions you. My budget will be around $1500 NZD, and I'm packing my gear along.

Bike
    1980 Yamaha RD/H2 750
    Thanks for the links and tips, Big Dog. I'll have my license upon arrival, but I'll need to go to a registry and make sure I'm allowed to ride in NZ. I've read that an American license is valid, but I may have to take a theory test. I'm just glad that I don't have to go through the process of getting a NZ motorcycle license; it seems like a pretty drawn-out task. In the US, without ever having ridden a motorcycle, you can take a computerized test, walk out with your permit, and go buy a 1000cc street rocket in the same day. As long as you have the money to do that, nobody questions you. My budget will be around $1500 NZD, and I'm packing my gear along.

Now, if you've seen 'The Worlds Fastest Indian' movie, you'll recall the advice on the subject given to Kiwi biker Burt Munro..
    Along the lines of, keep close to the centre of the road & be aware of opposing traffic..

Best wishes on your downunder sojourn, anyhow..

Bike
    1981 Honda CB900c
    Quote Originally Posted by JayDNZ View Post
    Welcome to the forum bud, and NZ of course.

Good point.. bit easier in a car as your sitting on the other side of the vehicle, not so on 2 wheels = easier to forget!
    Thanks for the welcome! I have a car question: Are more cars manual trans or automatic in NZ? In the US, my daily driver is a manual, but 99% of the other cars I've ridden in or driven have been automatics. I'm just curious about what people drive outside the US.

Bike
    Wots I gots.
    Welcome and we hope you enjoy yourself here.

When I ride in countries of the "other" side of the road, I have long (since 2002) taken with me a sticky rightwards arrow and a Keep Right adhesive decal as a reminder, to fit to the screen of the bike I ride there (so far they have all had short or tall screens fitted). Just a suggestion I have found useful.

Bike
    1981 Honda CB900c
    Quote Originally Posted by J.A.W. View Post
    Now, if you've seen 'The Worlds Fastest Indian' movie, you'll recall the advice on the subject given to Kiwi biker Burt Munro..
    Along the lines of, keep close to the centre of the road & be aware of opposing traffic..

Best wishes on your downunder sojourn, anyhow..
    Great movie , but it's been years since I saw it. I do remember the part where he got pulled over in Nevada for speeding, even though there wasn't a speed limit. They have a speed limit now, but if you're out in the desert, the cops don't want to burn up their Crown Vics chasing you, so you can technically go as fast as you want. Thanks for the wishes, J.A.W.!

Bike
    '08 Wee
    Thanks for the welcome! I have a car question: Are more cars manual trans or automatic in NZ? In the US, my daily driver is a manual, but 99% of the other cars I've ridden in or driven have been automatics. I'm just curious about what people drive outside the US.
    Most cars here are Autos. There are a few manuals but not that many.

Bike
    1981 Honda CB900c
    Quote Originally Posted by rambaldi View Post
    Most cars here are Autos. There are a few manuals but not that many.
    Huh, no kidding! I would've thought the opposite. Top Gear made it sound like manuals are more common, but they were probably just referring to the UK.

Bike
    '08 Wee
    Huh, no kidding! I would've thought the opposite. Top Gear made it sound like manuals are more common, but they were probably just referring to the UK.
    Probably was the UK. Not sure what the situation is like now but it used to be almost exclusively Manuals in South Africa. These days though some of the vehicle manufacturers aren't giving you the option in all models. I guess they know what the markets purchase more than anyone else.

Bike
    2015 KLR650
    In NZ Iabout 80% are automatic, this is due to the large amount of imports from Japan (where automatic is more like 95% or more). Still not too difficult to find/buy a manual if you prefer.

I'm from the UK, moved to NZ when I was 30... In the UK it's the other way around 80% of cars are manual.

Thread Information