Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: South Island trip advice & Nelson bike storage?

Bike
    CBR600RR

Lightbulb South Island trip advice & Nelson bike storage?

Hi all, and a happy new year!

A friend and I will be spending a couple of weeks touring the South Island in Feb/March this year (2016).
    Our bikes will get delivered to Nelson 1-2 weeks ahead of us with some gear and we'll then fly in from AKL on February 26th.
    (Before anyone gives me grief for not riding down, time off work is hard to get so this way we can maximise our time in the South Island!)

Firstly - Are there any awesome KiwiBikers local to the Nelson area that have any advice on where we might be able to store a couple of bikes for a week or 2 (depending on the transporters timetable)?
    Or, even better, anyone have a spot in their garage?! Obviously food, beer, and whiskey would be enjoyed on us! (We're good value, in our 30's)

Secondly - current itinerary is roughly 2 weeks long, key spots (not necessarily accomm stops) below. Would be great to get some advice on "must do's" and "don't bothers" of places to visit and roads to ride. (Bearing in mind the CBR and R6 aren't that keen on gravel 😋)

Nelson
    Murchison
    Westport
    Granity
    Punakaiki
    Greymouth
    Hokitika
    Glaciers
    Haast Pass
    Wanaka
    Glenorchy
    Twizel
    Mt Cook
    Methven
    Rangiora
    Hanmer Springs
    Reefton
    Hokitika (wild foods festival March 12th)
    Christchurch via Arthur's Pass
    Fly AKL or ride depending on the boss and time available.

Thanks in advance!

Mitchballs /Anvil

Also - apologies if I've posted this in the wrong place, if so could someone advise how I move it?

Bike
    Honda,Black,Shadow 750
    Two weeks? Just do the top half. Why fly down? Ride down ,it only takes a day, leave early and catch the 5:30 ferry. That puts you in South Island on day one. If its your first time don't try and do every thing or go every where. The Tataka hill is worth the ride(between Nelson and Collingwood). Westport's Coal Town and Shanty Town just south of Greymouth. Don't do Haast you haven't the time.
    Regards Richard
    Growing old is mandatory Growing up is purely optional
    Retired teenager

Bike
    2015 Aprilia Shiver
    Quote Originally Posted by thehovel View Post
    Two weeks? Just do the top half. ... Don't do Haast you haven't the time.
    Two weeks is plenty for most of the South Island - see my ride report where I rode around most of the island in 7 days. Some of the best riding is in the bottom half of the South Island.

Bike
    2011, Can-am Spyder RS
    Blog Entries
    The amount of time it takes to tour around the South Island is purely down to how much riding you want to do each day and if you want days with no riding at all – as the TT2000 proves you can ride around most of it in 48 hours if you really want to:-)

Whatever route you choose you’ll have a great time so don’t get too worried about it. My normal advice would be to try and avoid SH1 from say Amberley to Christchurch and Christchurch to Timaru but your route already does that.

If I was doing it rather than you I may be tempted to do the following though I’m not trying to change your mind.
    • Head east from Nelson to Blenheim
    • Down SH1 to Kaikoura - mainly for the views of the sea, rocks and seals.
    • Then take the Inland/Kaikoura Road to Waiau. Lovely twisty road and normally pretty empty, just watch the approaches to the bridges as sometimes there’s a little gravel on the road surface just before them for some reason.
    • Waiau head on the 70 so you join the 7 and then head towards Hamner Springs
    • From Hamner Springs head over to the West Coast via the Lewis Pass and start heading down the coast.

It's probably a case of when your in Nelson check the weather forecast and then make a decision if to head west or east:-)

Bike
    Valkyrie 1500 ,HD softail, BMW r1150r
    Hi,
    great trip.
    am going to do couple of weeks south island as well roughly same time.

but I would rethink the flying / bike storing thing....

you lose just as much time farting about as it would take to ride to welly....
    cross the puddle and ride south island starting picton....

enjoy yourself one way or other.....
    Opinions are like arseholes: Everybody has got one, but that doesn't mean you got to air it in public all the time....

Bike
    1982 Honda CX500
    2 weeks is plenty of time to get around. It all depends on how many days you want to spend in each area.
    What kind of bikes? Maybe they will suit my shed But seriously, I can't think of anywhere local that would do that. Also the cost of getting them shipped Auckland to Nelson is rather a bit.

As for roads, as mentioned the Takaka hill is good, but only if you can hit it with no traffic as passing is.... Well I don't there. And unless you actually want to look around Golden Bay I don't think it's worth the bother considering you will be going over plenty of other good roads. However if you're around here for a few days it's worth a day trip over to Golden bay.

The only don'ts I can think of is Timaru - Chch SH1. Avoid. Horrible on a bike. and Chch - Blenheim SH1. Too much traffic and the other routes much better. And unless you have a seal fetish kaikoura is very very over rated.
    I'd head from here down the West Coast to Wanaka/Qtown, back up to chch via lakes and Mount Cook, head to chch via inland scenic route (Geraldine, mayfield, methven etc) The up the Lewis (Hanmer) cutting through St Arnaurd to Wairou valley to Picton and home. With off shoots as you see fit.
    If you really want to do Arthurs pass make it a day trip from chch and back. It's not far and the actual pass isn't very long at all.

Bike
    Could store them in Picton for you if that's any help.

Tophouse Road from Nelson to Murch mate. The main drag isn't exactly bad, but that road is the fawkin tits.

Everywhere else looks sweet. I'm sure you'll be able to find some good back roads playing around on google maps and the like.

I'd probably hit Kaikoura on the way to Hanmer and then shoot there via the inland route. Most of the boring stuff is already over with by the Waipara turn off anyway. Yes it will be busy, but so will every other road that you are going to be on

I'd hit Takaka hill, a few times, in the middle of the night if possible

Quote Originally Posted by Anvil View Post
    Hi all

Bike
    1982 Honda CX500
    Yeah Tazz has a good point about that road, turn off at Wakefield and take 88 Valley road, then turn left to the lake, easy to find and damn good road. with much less traffic than the main road.

Bike
    '01 Yamaha YZFR6
    Blog Entries
    So what's so bad with SH1 south of Christchurch to Timaru? I'll be doing the south island next week and have this route in mind. Bad road conditions? Boring straights?

THE FOUR RULES OF EXPLORING THIS AMAZING COUNTRY OF NZ
    RIDE SAFE, RIDE HARD, RIDE FREE

and try not sound so route 51 american brudda

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CB ARGH View Post
    So what's so bad with SH1 south of Christchurch to Timaru? I'll be doing the south island next week and have this route in mind. Bad road conditions? Boring straights?
    It has to be the MOST mind numbing straights in the entire country.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    XB12S
    Road condition is good. Most excellent road if you want to keep your chicken strips intact
    Not just boring straights the whole stretch is boring.
    Take a comfortable pillow A sleep will relieve the boredom.

Bike
    1982 Honda CX500
    As above. It's only 160 ks, but feels like 3 hours of boredom. Also quite heavy traffic that's usually doing 80-90.

Bike
    '01 Yamaha YZFR6
    Blog Entries
    TYVM. Might re-route and take 72.

THE FOUR RULES OF EXPLORING THIS AMAZING COUNTRY OF NZ
    RIDE SAFE, RIDE HARD, RIDE FREE

and try not sound so route 51 american brudda

Bike
    2011, Can-am Spyder RS
    Blog Entries
    TYVM. Might re-route and take 72.
    72 is the way to go:-) When I go south from here (Leithfield near Amberley) I always go the inland route.

If your not planning to go to Christchurch then I'd actually suggest:
    • Turning off SH1 onto the 'Inland Scenic Highway' towards Rangiora etc.
    • At Ashley turn right Cones Road towards Loburn.
    • Loburn turn left Hodgsons Road towards Ashley Gorge, this will take you the back way to Oxford and is a far nicer road for bikes than that stretch of the 72.
    • At Oxford continue on the 72/77/72 route.

This will let you do the 'Three Gorges' - Ashley, Waimakariri and Rakaia which is popular local ride. The Waimakariri and Rakaia gorges have lovely tight corners to play with.

Only thing to watch out for is on the long straight after Mayfield towards Geraldine as its popular with the local coppers for speed checks.

Bike
    ES XTZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Revhead View Post
    As above. It's only 160 ks, but feels like 3 hours of boredom. Also quite heavy traffic that's usually doing 80-90.
    Pass that shit then ! We're on bikes , makes the time and distance more acceptable and fun.

Thread Information