Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: South Island trip advice & Nelson bike storage?

Bike
    1982 Honda CX500
    Yeah the heavy traffic is in both directions. Not at all uncommon to have a line of 30 cars coming at you as you try and pass 20 cars all following too close

Bike
    2011, Can-am Spyder RS
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Revhead View Post
    Yeah the heavy traffic is in both directions. Not at all uncommon to have a line of 30 cars coming at you as you try and pass 20 cars all following too close
    Yep and when you finally get a chance and open it up there's a cop speed trap...I've got the points to prove it.

Bike
    CBR600RR

Blah

Hey thanks so much everyone for all the advice!!! I actually thought that there was no activity as I got an email notification about the first reply but then nothing after that so I hadn't bothered to look back, now I feel like an ungrateful asshat - sorry!

Found a friendly bike shop in Nelson to store the bikes for a box or 3 of Coronas - so a plug to American Bobbers! Bikes arrive on Wednesday and we land Friday afternoon.

There's a common theme about Takaka Hill, so that's definitely made the list, thanks! and yes, a midnight mission sounds like a plan

Weather is looking good for west coast this weekend/early next week so I think we'll take the window and go from Nelson to Murch via St Arnuad (spelling?) and down the west from there.
    On the way back up will be via Mt Cook, Methven, Rangiora, Arthurs Pass (Hokitika Wild Food Festival on the 12th!) back over Lewis pass and up via Kaikora. Though I've done the Kaikora many times as a student, different experience in a clapped out 1980something starlet, and I don't think I have a seal fetish so may look at re-thinking that one and going back via inland route if we have time.

To the chap (assuming a chap, not meaning to be sexist!) who's going to be in S.I. around the same time, flick me a text on 0221865305 if you're around.

Thanks heaps all, happy riding and if anyone wants a review of any sections post trip let me know!

-Mitchballs

Bike
    1982 Honda CX500
    Good plan!
    Just a head sup on the Takaka hill, there's a charity ride on leaving Motueka around 11-1130 Saturday morning.
    I'd advise avoiding that unless you want to be stuck amoungst a couple dozen going Harley speeds.

Otherwise enjoy!

Bike
    CBR600RR
    Thanks RevHead, that is some very handy advice! think we'll ride the hill Friday evening and spend the night in a campground near Motueka then hit the road early headed south to avoid the HD lads!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
    Prolight 250,XR4hundy
    Just be a tad carefull on SH 6 down the coast & on a lot of south island roads that when corners are posted at about 45kmh & under, that it means it......there are a lot of corners that pull the old double apex trick & suck you in, then surprise the hell out of you when they tighten right up.
    The Heart is the drum keeping time for everyone....

Bike
    2011, Can-am Spyder RS
    Blog Entries
    Did Takaka Hill last Friday at about 4pm (and back the other way a bit later) as part of the TT2000 and it was good, last time I'd been that way there had been quite a bit of road works. All the drivers I got behind moved over to let me pass at the stop zones etc which impressed me. I'm guessing at that time of day it's mainly local traffic. Was pretty clear of road works other than a small section of new tar at the steep twisty part on the Northern side which was a bit slippery.

Bike
    '13 Repsol Thou'
    I'm doing the same thing with a couple of friends over the course of a week.

Question I have is, the Ferry recommends bringing our own tie-downs. Has anyone that has used the ferry before that would second this recommendation? Only reason I ask is because I don't own any and I don't want to have to carry them around during our travels for the return trip.

Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEU View Post
    Turns out I was just being a n00b.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by G4L4XY View Post
    Question I have is, the Ferry recommends bringing our own tie-downs. Has anyone that has used the ferry before that would second this recommendation? Only reason I ask is because I don't own any and I don't want to have to carry them around during our travels for the return trip.
    How about you read the entire superthread on ferries?

Alternatively, ask yourself, would you entrust your bike to the crusty worn out tie downs that may or may not lock? You might get some OK ones, you probably won't. Both companies advise you to bring tie downs...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    '13 Repsol Thou'
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    How about you read the entire superthread on ferries?
    I searched "ferry" and didn't see any superthread

Bike
    I'm doing the same thing with a couple of friends over the course of a week.

Stash them in a bush near Picton and grab them on your way back. Or give them away/leave on frerry and buy some more in Blenhole on your way back, or drop them into my work in Picton and grab them on they way back, but business hours only sorry.

If you get the ones that are tension/grip held and cut off the excess cord rather than the ratchet strap ones they don't take up a hell of a lot of room.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    I searched "ferry" and didn't see any superthread
    Interislander or Bluebridge probably would have found it. Sticky in Touring

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...ies-Megathread
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    '13 Repsol Thou'
    Thanks Gremlin, I'll take a look at that thread.

The day we get into picton is a sunday Tazz so unless you're doing overtime

Bike
    Thanks Gremlin, I'll take a look at that thread.

The day we get into picton is a sunday Tazz so unless you're doing overtime
    We're 7 days mate and I have the absolute pleasure of working weekends for the last 5 years, so I'll be around

Bike
    Roadstar 1600 & Royal Star Venture
    2 weeks isnt enough?? Really??
    I've just got back {yesterday} from 3 weeks down south, {but OK I admit it, I was touring on a Spyder this time }
    We did the basic whole SI in 2 weeks last year. {It was the first time down there for my co-rider, so was a full ride the whole thing to see what was on the agenda this trip} We still managed to go the full length to Bluff via west coast and back through central/SH72. The suggested routes and stops are all very good and we did them all this trip as well. BUT please add Milford as a ride. Queenstown was shyte tbh, we went in once, traffic nose to tail from Frankton. Arrowtown, much better, and if you come down from the Haast/Wanaka {which you have PLENTY of time for} you come over the mountains into arrowtown
    Dont let ANYONE put you off going deep south either, if you do Milford { a MUST ride if weather is good} you are in Te Anau anyway, so go down south via Manapouri rather than the main roads, that ride and then onto the coastal road are excellent.
    We were lucky as we only got real bad weather once, the heavy rain { bloody monsoon from franz to wanaka} on the day we rode from Franz Josef to Dunedin. The Wairau valley rd from Blenheim is a fantastic ride, lots of straights with plenty of twisty's as an alternative to SH6.
    If you're prepared to enjoy the ride on the best roads in NZ, you can do the whole shebang in 2 weeks
    If the road to hell is paved with good intentions; and a man is judged by his deeds and his actions, why say it's the thought that counts? -GrayWolf

Thread Information