Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Paying a visit for a few weeks

Bike
    If it happens to be my DR350 on tardme you were looking at I can get it to Hamilton as an excuse to visit my niece, or possibly Auckland if I'm flying back

Whatever you end up with there is possibly a place for you to crash in Picton on your way through, and depending on days/work I'm always keen for a blat

Bike
    Honda BROS, DRZ sumo
    Hey Tazz, it was your bike and I think I must have seen the ad here, best ad ever. Even if I can't ride dirt, reading your ad made me think I could.

I still can't PM members yet, can you shoot me an email at matthewbaze at g mail

thanks, I've a few questions.

Bike
    2 black ones..black is alway's good
    Hi Halfast,

Just get a few more posts up and you will be able to PM.
    Once you have dates, flick me a msg and there's a bed for the night as you pass through Wellington.
    I've had two or 3 of your countrymen call in on their travels.
    I'm only wearing black until they develop something darker

We came, We listened, And in one voice we answered
    BULLSHIT!! BULLSHIT!! BULLSHIT!! BULLSHIT!! BULLSHIT!!

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by halfast View Post
    I still can't PM members yet, can you shoot me an email at matthewbaze at g mail

thanks, I've a few questions.
    He can PM you though ... and you can reply to his PM's ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Honda BROS, DRZ sumo
    Edit: Looks like I can PM folks now. I think hawkeye gave me some kind of rep that popped onto my screen for a second. Cheers and thanks.

Thanks for the tips and forum know how.

And Hawkeye many thanks the bed offer!

Bike
    Honda BROS, DRZ sumo
    Okay, see you guys in a few days. Starting in Auckland and heading south. I should be looking a few of you up for, at the least, a beer. I'll be riding a hired a dr650.

Cheers

Bike
    99,honda cbrxxx

New Zealand in October

Hi,
    Just joined this forum ,I will be coming to NZ in October,renting a bike in Auckland,and hopefully putting as many miles on it as I can in two weeks or so !
    Are there any recommendations for definite do's or don'ts ,? I'm fairly flexible in my schedule ( read that as no fixed plans !) and any help regarding weather, accommodation, I think most of my time will be in the South Island, but who knows !!

thanks,

John.

Bike
    '09 Bandit 1250s
    Quote Originally Posted by seanmhor View Post
    Hi,
    Just joined this forum ,I will be coming to NZ in October,renting a bike in Auckland,and hopefully putting as many miles on it as I can in two weeks or so !
    Are there any recommendations for definite do's or don'ts ,? I'm fairly flexible in my schedule ( read that as no fixed plans !) and any help regarding weather, accommodation, I think most of my time will be in the South Island, but who knows !!

thanks,

John.
    Can you delay coming to new zealand until November? Burt Munro rally/speedway/circuit/street/beach/hill climb/motocross week is an experience.

Bike
    Honda BROS, DRZ sumo
    Hi,

thanks,

John.
    Hi John,

First off, New Zealand is super easy. The Kiwi's are warm, welcoming and laid back. The roads are great and the scenery is spectacular.

Some things that I did and that come to mind:
    Bring Froggs Toggs or the like, it can rain at any time. I brought winter gloves too. Don't let the Froggs Toggs touch a hot exhaust though

I rented from Auckland Motorbike Hire, guy's name is Randal. Nice guy, picked me up from the airport at midnight. I recommend.

I used the New Zealand Motorcycle Atlas as my map guide, it's pretty good, though I didn't always agree with the author's fun rating system.

I had a piece of tape on the L mirror that said "curb" with an arrow pointing to the left and a piece of tape on the R mirror that said "look" with an arrow pointing to the right. It helped until I got the muscle memory.

Tie down straps for the ferry. I was told the ferry will supply, but I didn't see that and brought my own.

Make sure your rentals headlight is adjusted properly. Those tunnels are dark. I'm not sure where my headlight was pointing, but it wasn't towards the ground. The most harrowing part of my trip was going through the Milford sound tunnel and the Forgotten world highway(?) tunnel, it was like riding with my eyes closed. Didn't help that I'm not very smart and had sunglasses on too.

I brought a wee tent and sleeping bag and camped a fair amount.

Unlock your phone, if you want to use it. I bought a sim card at the airport, I think it was Spark.

With all that said, you could show up with nothing but a credit card, rent a bike and go where the wind blows you and you'd have a great time. It's that easy.

I wish I was preparing to do the same trip, I want to do it again.

Have fun.

Bike
    KTM 640 Enduro
    Hi,

thanks,

John.
    Have fun! Avoid SH1 between Christchurch & Timaru, it's about the only really boring bit of road in the country

Tourism is booming here at present so even though we're a way off peak season I'd still try & book accommodation a day or 2 ahead in the main tourist towns on weekends, otherwise you shouldn't need to plan too much. Staying in country pubs is usually good but pack your earplugs in case your room is above the bar. Cabins in campgrounds are also a good option if you want something cheaper than a motel.

Go where it isn't raining is a good strategy this time of year. Good advice above about being ready for rain & a range of temperatures. If the weather is good to the East when you start out head for Coromandel then right around East Cape. Don't miss the South Is West Coast & the road to Milford.

Cheers
    Clint

Bike
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 RR
    You definitely want to spend a decent amount of time in the SI, but the NI also has some good riding to offer. Hopefully the weather comes right by the time you arrive - it usually does sometime in late September or October. It's been rubbish lately, but let's hope that is just the final death throes of winter.

Definitely visit the Queenstown area and Milford Sound. I've not ridden in the SI, but if I did, I'd ride thru from Nelson to Golden Bay and the Takaka Hill. I also liked the road from there down to the West Coast. You just have to get your timing right with the West Coast, as it rains a LOT. I also like the Lindis Pass area and the Mackenzie Country. The Glacial rivers through there are spectacular. Two weeks isn't a lot, but if you have the time I'd also make the trip up to the Mount Cook village.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Bike
    99,honda cbrxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by haydes55 View Post
    Can you delay coming to new zealand until November? Burt Munro rally/speedway/circuit/street/beach/hill climb/motocross week is an experience.
    Bugger !! that sounds like a blast, but I had to book up !!!

Bike
    99,honda cbrxxx
    Thanks for the replies, I'm originally from Scotland so I usually prepare for sun sleet snow and rain !! I expect to spend most of my time in the South Island, but I'm flying in and out of Auckland so I expect a few days there as well.
    really looking forward to this trip, I havnt heard a bad word about riding in N,Z, !!

John.

Bike
    2012 Suzuki Boulevard M50
    Thanks for the replies, I'm originally from Scotland so I usually prepare for sun sleet snow and rain !! I expect to spend most of my time in the South Island, but I'm flying in and out of Auckland so I expect a few days there as well.
    really looking forward to this trip, I havnt heard a bad word about riding in N,Z, !!

John.
    Get a copy of Mike Hyde's "Twisting Throttle - New Zealand" His favourite 50 bike rides (on and off tarseal) in the country. Oh, don't do the Coromandel Loop in the weekend, loads of mad sportsbike riders trying to break the lap record.

Thread Information