Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paying a visit for a few weeks

Bike
    Honda BROS, DRZ sumo

Paying a visit for a few weeks

Hi Gents (and ladies),

I'm introducing myself here, because I'm going to be a tourist. I spontaneously bought a ticket to Auckland for later this month. I'm coming in from the bay area of California. I'm hoping to buy a bike for around $3K NZD (have been checking out trade.me) and tour around the islands for about 5 or 6 weeks. I'm sure I'll have a ton of questions as I do more research , but already this site has proven to be invaluable for route suggestions. Great stuff!

A couple of questions right of the bat:

Your insurance is quite a bit different from what I'm used to, does anybody have any suggestions for a decent carrier and a policy that would be good. I reckon I probably want to carry a fair amount of liability coverage.

Does anybody have a suggestion for a tourist phone or sim card, from what I gather both vodaphone and 2degeesmobile are the main players, is one better over the other? I'll probably be using more data than actual calls and texts.

I'm thinking about picking up a light two piece textile suit for your variable weather, as opposed to bringing my leathers or bulky winter suit, does that seem right? Are textile suits track day legal? Doubt I'll do a track day, but you never know.

Me: Been riding for about 15 or so years, old enough to know better but dumb enough to still get in trouble.

I've been spying a few different bikes on trade me, vtr 250's, a dr350 and the kid in me is kind of lusting after a NC30 down in Christchurch, the old man in me is telling me I'd regret that…or at least my body would.

Many thanks in advance and really looking forward so seeing y'all on the road. This has been a dream of mine for quite some time.

Cheers,
    Matt

Bike
    The Black Pearl
    Blog Entries
    Welcome!

2degrees & vodafone use the same network, are ok around cities and larger towns. Coverage can be sketchy out in the boonies. Spark has possibly marginally better coverage.

There's a couple of insurance threads on here, and one company that sponsors the site that seems to have a good rep.

Have fun, and when you're around Rotorua, hit us up.
    Keep on chooglin'

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    If your doing longer trips there is probably better value and buying a bigger bike.
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    motocompo
    You may not be aware that insurance is not compulsory, so the choice is yours.
    I not saying it's a good idea not to be insured, just saying.
    I'd be going for a bike that can maintain 100+ kph with absolute ease day after day without harming itself.
    Personally, I'd be going an older BMW F650 for value for money & fitness for purpose.

There ya go, fugly but practical & cheap.
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...1006941031.htm

Bike
    2010 Kawasaki Concours ZG1400
    The insurance company being referred to is Kiwibike insurance.
    Give them a call / email, a friendly bunch, like most of us.
    Having been over your way and been through the process of buying a vehicle for travelling the USA on holiday, I can assure you that you will find buying / selling and possibly insuring a vehicle much simpler over here in NZ.
    All three major players in the mobile phone industry are much the same when it comes to cost for services provided. You will find you won't get anywhere near the mobile data allowance you might be used to. And buying extra data is fairly expensive. The advantage of Spark is the possibly better coverage (although that much depends on where you are) but also that they have WiFi hot spots (usually on public telephone boxes) around the place where you can get 2GB of data per day for free. This is on their pre-paid $19 / month plan.
    As for textile gear, this is all I wear and I have used it on a track day. Do a bit of research on costs. Gear may still be cheaper over there than here. It certainly was two years ago. But with the current exchange rate working within your favour this may have changed.

Bike
    2002 KTM 640 Adventure

I can loan you a phone and sim card....

Welcome to NZ matey!
    For a few pennies, you can have my number for a few weeks.
    Your current balances

Your spend since last bill 0.00 $NZ
    Carryover minutes(10 mins will expire on 17 June 2016) 2123 mins
    NZ and Aussie Texts Unlimited Text*
    Pay Monthly Plan Data(5120 MB will expire on 17 January 2016) 37654.2 MB
    I have approx 35Gb of data and unlimited calls/texts etc...(no International calls please though)
    If you want to use it, feel free to PM me.
    It is going to waste.

Bike
    2002 KTM 640 Adventure

Want a bike to rent mate?

I have a DR650/DR800 or a VStrom 1000 with panniers.. in my garage here...
    Do you want to rent one? You get it legal, pay for the Registration and a few bucks a week, you can borrow it...
    They are in tip top condition...ready to tour.

Bike
    a red heap
    Keep left.

_____

Bike
    A streetbike named Desire
    Blog Entries

track - textiles

I was told that leather one piece or zipped together 2 pieces were the only acceptable track day gear.

Which bike to ride?
    I'd rent if I were you, you get a late model bike such as the Honda NC750. NZbike rates include;
    Side Panniers and Top Box
    Comprehensive Motorcycle Insurance
    Road Side Assistance
    Unlimited Kilometres
    Surplus Luggage Storage
    Assistance with Route Planning if Required

Bike
    Honda BROS, DRZ sumo
    Thanks for the info everybody. I'll definitely check out kiwibike insurance, reckon I'd prefer to be covered and more importantly carry the liability just to be safe. Same goes for checking out Spark.

And
    Waihou Thumper, Holy Cow! That is an incredibly generous and appealing offer! Many thanks. My only real apprehension is that I'm a little wary of borrowing some else's baby. I'd hate to bin a bike that isn't mine. Can you give me a couple of days to mull that one over? Renting from you would certainly make things easier.

Bike
    Honda BROS, DRZ sumo
    It seems I'm too much of a newb on this site to send out PM's.

Waihou Thumper, can you shoot me an email at matthewbaze at gmail.

Thanks

Bike
    2002, Kawasaki KDX 200
    Currently looking at selling my Kinbo bike in Chch for around $3500, has 41000km on the clock and can do 600km on a tank. It is a 250cc, but can do 100km/h ok, but won't overtake. I could also rent it to you and handle the insurance for you if you like, currently has full insurance with $100 excess.

Bike
    So old you won't care
    Sing out when you have dates - most folks here are decent.... well.... semi decent.... well.... good for a night on the couch... some of them wont even molest you...

Bike
    Honda BROS, DRZ sumo
    Thanks Paul in NZ, good to know that I probably won't get molested! The plan, as it stands today, is to get a decent map, twist the throttle and get lost. The way I see it, NZ is, arguably, one of the most breath taking countries on the planet with some of the best twisty roads anywhere. Getting lost doesn't sound so bad.

And thanks Hads, I'll keep that in mind. As others have pointed out, a bike with a bit more oomph may be better for traveling the whole country. So, I'm starting to look at bikes with a few more cc's at the moment.

Now, I would ask about everyone's favorite beer/ale, but I'm afraid that might be like asking what is the best oil.

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...SF1200S-Bandit

Bargin. Probably well under 3k usd and comes with luggage.
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Thread Information