Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thicker soled boots?

Bike
    R1200GSA

Thicker soled boots?

Greetings ladies. I have a question on behalf of my (very much) better half. She is a new rider. Started on a cruiser but has just gotten herself a Honda CB500X. The seat height difference is 7-8cm. She is not flat footing any more but nor is she tiptoeing (168cm tall). She is reluctant to put a lowering kit on the bike as that will affect handling, not so much of a limitation now but as she gets to know the bike better that will become more of an issue.
    It has been suggested boots with a thicker sole might make that 1cm+ of a difference. Currently she uses Forma Slam Dry lace up boots. She likes the shorter style and the feedback from a softer boot. She has been looking online and will be calling to the local shops over the next wee while. Realistically there is going to be limited choice locally, retailers can only carry so much stock. I thought it might be worth asking on here if any of you had a similar experience or would recommend a boot that might address the issues?
    Thank you in advance for any suggestions and to the guys who hang out on this forum who will post "funny" replies, haw haw haw.
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Bike
    You can get boots resoled

When she gets to know the bike better not being able to flat foot both feet will also be less of a limitation.
    When you're stopping and kicking the stand down, one foot.
    When you're at an intersection flicking through gears or sitting on rear brake to stretch hand/s, one foot.
    When you're out the the country the ground is rarely flat....one foot.

Another option to the boots is taking a bit of foam out of the seat or changing the shape so it is a little narrower. I have one bike I loose a bit of height with because the seat is quite wide and not tapered well. It is however, comfy as fuck, so I am not touching it

Or...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	y.r.u._qozmopolitan_platform_shoes_3_.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	339.2 KB 
ID:	318618

Bike
    SPEED TRIPLE
    The Daytona Lady Star GTX Boots
    Has a raised platform inside the boot which adds 2.5cm of height to the heel area and 8mm at the toes. Combined with a chunky sole, this gives the rider about an inch and a half of valuable extra height. I know they're not ankle boots but better protection anyway IMO.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/d...star-gtx-boots

Edit: Yes they are farking expensive!

Otherwise I would go with what Tazz suggested and get some re-soled
    No body move... I dropped my brain

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    +1 for fitting a new sole. A good cobbler will be able to do it for under $100. If they use the right sole and keep the instep clear then the peg to seat height wont change. She will just need to learn to take her feet sideways off the pegs if she doesnt already.

If you were in Auckland i would say go to Cols Cobble shop, he is brilliant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    2009 KTM990
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulsterkiwi View Post
    Greetings ladies. I have a question on behalf of my (very much) better half. She is a new rider. Started on a cruiser but has just gotten herself a Honda CB500X. The seat height difference is 7-8cm. She is not flat footing any more but nor is she tiptoeing (168cm tall). She is reluctant to put a lowering kit on the bike as that will affect handling, not so much of a limitation now but as she gets to know the bike better that will become more of an issue.
    It has been suggested boots with a thicker sole might make that 1cm+ of a difference. Currently she uses Forma Slam Dry lace up boots. She likes the shorter style and the feedback from a softer boot. She has been looking online and will be calling to the local shops over the next wee while. Realistically there is going to be limited choice locally, retailers can only carry so much stock. I thought it might be worth asking on here if any of you had a similar experience or would recommend a boot that might address the issues?
    Thank you in advance for any suggestions and to the guys who hang out on this forum who will post "funny" replies, haw haw haw.
    Not everywhere your better half is going to stop on her bike will be dead flat either most roadsides esp in town by shops camber off to the left.The side we get on and off the bike and tend to go for first if we start to get the slow speed learner woobles on lol.

We cant always choose where we get to stop but most times we can.

I suggest a little tilt the bike over from one foot to the other practice just sitting in the driveway.

Moving her butt a small bit to each side of the seat towards the lean.Not taking the full weight of the bike of course taking into account the bike to rider size ratio perhaps at play here also but just enough to be flat footed on the ground on one side then the other.

The goal here is that she should be as comfortable coming to a stop onto her left foot as her right to allow for any slight difference in road level using the other foot as support if needed.One foot flat one foot tippy toe.

Agree with Tazz the more she rides this bike the feeling of unease that comes from not having both feet flat on the ground will go away.

Perhaps just like with sex you can make up for the 1cm shortfall by adjusting your technique.

Good luck and welcome to the fold...

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    http://shop.motowerk.com/Honda-Lower...00X-F-R-LK.htm

5cm lowering kit

Would need kickstand shortening kit also.
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    CB1300
    A few years ago the resounding answer would have been if you need an extra cm of seat height drop the forks through the clamps 5mm. Put it back up when she is more confident.
    Is there a reason no one suggests that any more?

Sent via tapatalk.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
    A few years ago the resounding answer would have been if you need an extra cm of seat height drop the forks through the clamps 5mm. Put it back up when she is more confident.

Sent via tapatalk.
    Because it can turn the handling to quicken which is not fun times for a new rider.

Bike
    It was on the good
    The Oompa Loompa court case.

Bike
    CB1300
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    Because it can turn the handling to quicken which is not fun times for a new rider.
    Wouldn't of thought 5mm made that much difference. But i stand informed.

Sent via tapatalk.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Wouldn't of thought 5mm made that much difference. But i stand informed.

Sent via tapatalk.
    Yerp, steepens the head angle, changes trail etc.

Bike
    R1200GSA
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    Yerp, steepens the head angle, changes trail etc.
    this is what we were independently advised. Dealer offered a variable lowering kit. Anything between 0 and 70mm. Kit comes with an adjustable replacement side stand. They also drop the forks in the clamps to make the bike sit evenly. Still bound to affect the handling though.
    Already a big change for her coming from a cruiser onto a much faster steering machine.

Wife is a newbie but has already worked out the people in the factory have probably put some thought into the bike being set up the way it is and changing that is not necessarily a good thing. Hence the query about changing distance from her hips to the ground via boots.

Cheers for the reply!
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Bike
    2013 Suzuki GW 250
    Blog Entries
    I had...still have ...this same problem, even with the seat trimmed, but have found a pair of boots that have made a lot of difference. They're not bike boots but have a thicker sole, reinforced toe and heel and lace up to my lower calf. I can now get the ball of one foot on the ground at a time. With both feet down, am not fully on the balls of my feet but more than tip toe. My second pair are bike boots and more supple but don't give me quite enough height. Am going to get added sole on them.
    Practice, practice practice has made a lot of difference but I'm sure my legs have stretched as well

Bike
    Wots I gots.
    My Princess Bride had a similar problem, and found that buying Sidi boots with a good-sized heel, solved it. Pricey, but worth it. Good luck!

Bike
    A streetbike named Desire
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazz View Post
    You can get boots resoled

When she gets to know the bike better not being able to flat foot both feet will also be less of a limitation.
    When you're stopping and kicking the stand down, one foot.
    When you're at an intersection flicking through gears or sitting on rear brake to stretch hand/s, one foot.
    When you're out the the country the ground is rarely flat....one foot.
    Instead of looking at thicker soled Louboutin boots, maybe think about posture - tilting to the side with one foot down and/or sitting further forward in the seat for example. When I'm stopping and using the back brake, my left foot is the first to touch the ground so I leave my right foot on the peg.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Christian-Louboutin-Flanavec-120-mm-Boots-in-Taupe-Leather-1-500x500.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	28.5 KB 
ID:	318683
    I also agree with what I think Tazz might be saying, if you need to flick a gear while stationary, tilt to the right (with your right foot flat on the ground of course!). It took some getting used to, but I think I feel more stable with one foot planted flat on the ground now - compare to having both feet down but only on the balls of my feet.

Thread Information