Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thicker soled boots?

Bike
    Baby Gixxer
    Blog Entries
    see my post in Lowering Suzuki Gladius in the Bike Mechanics section. Had them for 6 years and totally worth it. It's possible there are photos somewhere here; I'll have a look.

......Bike Gear forum, Platform Inserts thread (it goes back a few years to 2009), post 22. Sorry don't know how to do linkys on ipad.
    I lahk to moove eet moove eet...

Katman to steveb64
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I'd hate to ever have to admit that my arse had been owned by a Princess.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulsterkiwi View Post
    Still bound to affect the handling though.
    If both ends are lowered the same it shouldn't effect "handling" to a noticeable degree, but it could limit cornering clearance. Whether that was a factor or not depends on how enthusiastically she punts it through corners.

The additional sole treatment is common but some boots lend themselves to this better than others.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    R1200GSA
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    If both ends are lowered the same it shouldn't effect "handling" to a noticeable degree, but it could limit cornering clearance. Whether that was a factor or not depends on how enthusiastically she punts it through corners.

The additional sole treatment is common but some boots lend themselves to this better than others.
    true.

the BH has decided on a compromise. The variable lowering kit is being fitted and boots were discovered which are comfy and add a few mm more to the reach of her legs (Sigma, cheers Wgtn Motorcycles). The variable kit has been sold on the idea that as her confidence grows and with it the tendency to be more spirited in the riding, the ride height can be altered to suit.

Thank you all for the replies, really appreciate the input, some of the boot solutions are very impressive!
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Bike
    R1200GSA
    thread dredge!

so the lowering kit for the bike was not a huge success. Even with dropping the forks a bit the suspension ended up being compromised and the bike did not handle nearly as well. What to do?
    Well having had my own bike worked over by Mr Taylor of KSS, we got in touch with him.
    Solution? A replacement shock which lowered the ride height of the bike BUT retained full stroke length and therefore performance was not impaired at all, the original linkage was used.
    While there the bike also had the forks resprung, emulators fitted and were dropped to balance the geometry.
    Result? Quite a few $$ but a bike which now handled way better than it had ever done but dropped 25mm in seat height. The BH was very happy.

Last piece in the pie, a bit of work courtesy of the cobbler on Dixon St in Wellington. Neatly done, slightly improves the grip from the original soles and both feet very firmly on the ground.

Good job the bike is a keeper though!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1484.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	376.6 KB 
ID:	323570
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Thread Information