Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: This can't be possible

Bike
    Mine
    Quote Originally Posted by rambaldi View Post
    As fucking annoying as it would be, it is probably worth extending the retesting on license renewal. Don't just have it for the nice grannies and grandpas but let mom and dad have a go at that as well given how shit they are half the time.
    As much as I would hate to do this myself (like many I just hate being tested) it's probably not a bad idea.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

Bike
    bandit
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    I speed on a bike from time to time, not so much since I learned to wheelie but I still do it. I don't make excuses for it though, and I certainly would never admit to being such a fucken useless driver/rider that I cannot safely control my vehicle at the same time as monitoring my speed.
    All that's true - but I rarely monitor my speed on the bike - if you're going to let rip then the speedo becomes instantly irrelevant ... the feel of the bike and where the envelope's edges are become more importnan that checking how much I'm breaking the law by ...
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    CB1300
    Quote Originally Posted by swbarnett View Post
    As much as I would hate to do this myself (like many I just hate being tested) it's probably not a bad idea.
    Me three.
    I'd feel less inconvenienced by having to do a 15 minute ride or drive every 10 years than by having some of the detritus we currently have clogging the nations arteries.
    Even if that would mean multiple tests for my classes.
    3 tests should probably cover my 6 classes.

Bike
    CB1300
    Quote Originally Posted by Banditbandit View Post
    All that's true - but I rarely monitor my speed on the bike - if you're going to let rip then the speedo becomes instantly irrelevant ... the feel of the bike and where the envelope's edges are become more importnan that checking how much I'm breaking the law by ...
    Pretty much... a speedo is a fairly binary tool.
    You are speeding.
    You are not.

Beyond that it is a relatively useless metric...

Bike
    Suzuki Smash 2016. (Yes, really!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    How long does it take to glance at your speedo? Half a second maybe?
    You might be surprised. The then road safety manager of the police replying to a letter I wrote to Autocar NZ back some time around 2003 stated "It only takes a millisecond to check your speedo."
    I would challenge anyone to take their eyes off the road, refocus on the speedo,look back to the road,refocus on the road in 1 millisecond. This shows the utter bullshit that that man spoke.
    There have been studies done by many groups/universities on this, but the general consensus is that it's closer to three seconds. (I think that figure came from Monash University, but am open to correction.) I had all this info back at the time, but changing countries, you sometimes leave things behind. (I do, however, still have the original letter that I wrote to Autocar NZ if anyone wants to read it. It won letter of the month so someone agreed with me.)
    "Statistics are used as a drunk uses lampposts - for support, not illumination."

Bike
    CB1300
    Quote Originally Posted by Daffyd View Post
    You might be surprised. The then road safety manager of the police replying to a letter I wrote to Autocar NZ back some time around 2003 stated "It only takes a millisecond to check your speedo."
    I would challenge anyone to take their eyes off the road, refocus on the speedo,look back to the road,refocus on the road in 1 millisecond. This shows the utter bullshit that that man spoke.
    There have been studies done by many groups/universities on this, but the general consensus is that it's closer to three seconds. (I think that figure came from Monash University, but am open to correction.) I had all this info back at the time, but changing countries, you sometimes leave things behind. (I do, however, still have the original letter that I wrote to Autocar NZ if anyone wants to read it. It won letter of the month so someone agreed with me.)
    I do the quick flick. Can do this 2-3 times in a second without losing an awareness of the road situation.
    Approximately the limit? Carry on.
    Repeat in 1 minute or 5 depending on various factors.

See stationary tax van or the previous check was not close, double check exact speed. If required correct. Check again.

I'd say a full check takes 1 second on a bike I am familiar with. 1.5 in the car or on an unfamiliar bike.

This is faster for me than most I have discussed it with simply because I accept a speedo is an estimate and I am only interested in I need to slow down by about 5 kms. Not, I need to slow down by 4 kms.

Sent via tapatalk.

Bike
    Valkyrie 1500 ,HD softail, BMW r1150r
    Wether you can or can't check your speed in x seconds is not relevant...

why do you have to be so speed anal?

overzealous speed policing is not helpfull nor normal,

and should never be accepted as such....

it is a ridiculous simplified knee jerk reaction from a bunch of incompetent cock suckers...
    Opinions are like arseholes: Everybody has got one, but that doesn't mean you got to air it in public all the time....

Bike
    Wots I gots.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daffyd View Post
    I don't know about Monash, can't find anything online, but a few years ago I was privileged to be taught by someone who had studied aviation physiology at Farmborough. The main reason that he gave me for the development of the heads up display (HUD), was the absolute minimum three seconds it took for highly trained young, fit fighter pilots with excellent reflexes, to drop their vision down to the cockpit instrumentation, read the important numbers (airspeed of altitude), and swivel backup to look for Huns in the Sun while processing the information they just read (excuse the Biggles reference).

Now, when you've got people frantic not to get fined for doing 53 km per hour through Bulls or Sanson, distracted by kids, changing speed signs, extraneous inputs, and possibly being very young and inexperienced or very old and confused, is it any wonder that people are driving distracted because of the zero tolerance policy of the police force's senior management?

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by RDJ View Post
    I don't know about Monash, can't find anything online, but a few years ago I was privileged to be taught by someone who had studied aviation physiology at Farmborough. The main reason that he gave me for the development of the heads up display (HUD), was the absolute minimum three seconds it took for highly trained young, fit fighter pilots with excellent reflexes, to drop their vision down to the cockpit instrumentation, read the important numbers (airspeed of altitude), and swivel backup to look for Huns in the Sun while processing the information they just read (excuse the Biggles reference).

Now, when you've got people frantic not to get fined for doing 53 km per hour through Bulls or Sanson, distracted by kids, changing speed signs, extraneous inputs, and possibly being very young and inexperienced or very old and confused, is it any wonder that people are driving distracted because of the zero tolerance policy of the police force's senior management?
    There is a bit more to take in when flying a fucken plane though isn't there.

Why the fuck would anyone try and use that as an argument here? Fuck people can be dumb!

Bike
    Mine
    There is a bit more to take in when flying a fucken plane though isn't there.
    I don't see why. The dials are roughly the same aren't they? (I am, of course, assuming that the reference was for reading one dial).
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by swbarnett View Post
    I don't see why. The dials are roughly the same aren't they? (I am, of course, assuming that the reference was for reading one dial).
    I cannot believe it takes three seconds to check a single dial. And if it does, so what? If you can't look away for three seconds, you're following too close or traveling too fast for the conditions.

I check my rev counter about ten to fifteen times a lap when racing. Admittedly I'm not riding lap record pace or anywhere near it, but I do alright. If it takes three seconds to check the dial, I'm spending 40% of a lap of Manfeild not looking at the track. Bullshit!

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    If it takes three seconds to check the dial, I'm spending 40% of a lap of Manfeild not looking at the track. Bullshit!
    We've seen you ride, that seems a little low
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    Wots I gots.
    I cannot believe it takes three seconds to check a single dial.
    It's not just 'The Look' Drew. It's acquiring and most of all processing the information. But feel free to disagree in your inimitable fashion.

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    It's not just 'The Look' Drew. It's acquiring and most of all processing the information. But feel free to disagree in your inimitable fashion.
    I'm with Drew. It's 3 seconds, you're just being silly.
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    My style of argument is pretty common, inimitable is prolly a stretch.

Anyhoo, there's nowt to process in the same way that very very few people actually read a word. You glance down knowing what the speedo looks like with the needle in the right spot. You then automatically react to what you catch a glimpse of.

You are welcome to repeat you self again, but I have actually already considered what you said and I still don't agree.

Thread Information