Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: This can't be possible

Bike
    2009 KTM990
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    I cannot believe it takes three seconds to check a single dial. And if it does, so what? If you can't look away for three seconds, you're following too close or traveling too fast for the conditions.

I check my rev counter about ten to fifteen times a lap when racing. Admittedly I'm not riding lap record pace or anywhere near it, but I do alright. If it takes three seconds to check the dial, I'm spending 40% of a lap of Manfeild not looking at the track. Bullshit!
    If your checking your rev counter that much on a 3k length track like Manfeild then no wonder your nowhere near record pace......Might as well refit the speedo so you can check that while your there....

That "So what" is the difference in lap times on a track when reactions = seconds on or off your lap times.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by RGVforme View Post
    If your checking your rev counter that much on a 3k length track like Manfeild then no wonder your nowhere near record pace......Might as well refit the speedo so you can check that while your there....
    Three times down front and back straight each, twice down the middle one. Once at turn two, once exiting turn four, and once entering the hair pin.

This on the RF which is standard gearing, so it's always at the wrong revs through the infield and can be in one of two gears at any point depending on how I feel.

Bike
    2009 KTM990
    Three times down front and back straight each, twice down the middle one. Once at turn two, once exiting turn four, and once entering the hair pin.

This on the RF which is standard gearing, so it's always at the wrong revs through the infield and can be in one of two gears at any point depending on how I feel.
    So why do you check?.....

The avg joe blow on the road has far less to worry about than a chap on a RF Racebike focused on going as fast as he can whos needs his eyes up asap for the next corner.

There is still many different conditions between the road and the track to make a fair comparison between the two.

Bike
    It was on the good
    You glance down knowing what the speedo looks like with the needle in the right spot. You then automatically react to what you catch a glimpse of.
    While I hate to agree he is right. Drop your eyes long enough to see what the digital readout says and then look back at the road while processing the information.

Count three hippopotami. If it takes you that long you shouldn't be on the road.

Bike
    TF125
    Drew's right, fuck it. It doesn't take me anywhere near three seconds to check my speedo. I check it pretty infrequently on the open road but will when entering a built up area. Funny thing is, I'm as deaf as a deaf thing but I tend to ride to my ear and it seems to be pretty bloody accurate most of the time.

Maybe you cunts bleating about having to check all the time might need to slow down a little bit?

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    So why do you check?.....

The avg joe blow on the road has far less to worry about than a chap on a RF Racebike focused on going as fast as he can whos needs his eyes up asap for the next corner.

There is still many different conditions between the road and the track to make a fair comparison between the two.
    It's no race bike. I check on the straights to get the shifts right, and in those spots of the infield to decide what cog to take the turn in. If I'm a bit slow I'll use first at the hairpin and second through splash. On the odd occasion I'm going fast enough I'll go a gear higher.

It is the time you say that it takes that I use this example for. Nothing to do with comparing road and track.

Bike
    2009 KTM990
    It's no race bike. I check on the straights to get the shifts right, and in those spots of the infield to decide what cog to take the turn in. If I'm a bit slow I'll use first at the hairpin and second through splash. On the odd occasion I'm going fast enough I'll go a gear higher.

It is the time you say that it takes that I use this example for. Nothing to do with comparing road and track.
    You did use a comparison between the two in your previous comment to make your point so please don't try and say it has nothing to do with it now.

The environment your are riding/driving in be it road... track.... sunshine... rain.. will always effect how long it takes you to check....move...carry out...any operation of the vehicle you are operating at the time.

Nice try but no.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    You did use a comparison between the two in your previous comment to make your point so please don't try and say it has nothing to do with it now.

The environment your are riding/driving in be it road... track.... sunshine... rain.. will always effect how long it takes you to check....move...carry out...any operation of the vehicle you are operating at the time.

Nice try but no.
    It is an example of how 3 seconds is bullshit.

Bike
    Mine
    I cannot believe it takes three seconds to check a single dial. And if it does, so what? If you can't look away for three seconds, you're following too close or traveling too fast for the conditions.
    I've had things pull out on me that if they happened in a 3 second moment of inattention would've been catastrophic.

I check my rev counter about ten to fifteen times a lap when racing. Admittedly I'm not riding lap record pace or anywhere near it, but I do alright. If it takes three seconds to check the dial, I'm spending 40% of a lap of Manfeild not looking at the track. Bullshit!
    You're obviously conditioned to the track. Not everyone has your reflexes. However, I do agree that it shouldn't take 3 seconds to check a dial. I think the point may be that it says more about the average driver than anything else.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Google glasses and GPS to the rescue for a HUD cut that 3 seconds down

In the future there may be an app that will advise you about your speed all checked by Gremlin

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by Madness View Post
    Drew's right, fuck it. It doesn't take me anywhere near three seconds to check my speedo. I check it pretty infrequently on the open road but will when entering a built up area. Funny thing is, I'm as deaf as a deaf thing but I tend to ride to my ear and it seems to be pretty bloody accurate most of the time.

Maybe you cunts bleating about having to check all the time might need to slow down a little bit?
    Driving or riding is experiential. It feels like something.

Some people just can't understand the idea of feeling the driving or riding experience, and rely on dials.

This particular issue is a psychological self defence mechanism. Folk don't like the lower tolerance so they find ways to decry it. This speedo fixation thing is just such a BS example. It's a way of diverting attention from the speed issue by blaming the process.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defence_mechanisms

Just saying.

Bike
    Valkyrie 1500 ,HD softail, BMW r1150r

Not a lot to worry about on a track......
    no pedestrians, no road works, pets or even other road users.....
    only other bikes all going the same direction...

so in your own limited vocabulary, so you understand maybe...:
    you are talking out of your arsehole you fucking dumb twat.....
    Opinions are like arseholes: Everybody has got one, but that doesn't mean you got to air it in public all the time....

Bike
    Wots I gots.
    It is an example of how 3 seconds is bullshit.
    Clearly Drew is a superior form of homo sapiens and we should bow in worship at the Altar of his Innate Motorcycling Superiority.

(Yeah, that was sarcasm. What can I say, it's been a long day dealing with, including, the unroadworthy).

Unfortunately for reality, 50% of the population is less capable than average. Y'all (excluding Drew) may want to factor that into any pontifications about the amount of time it will take to absorb and process and act upon inbound information. Just sayin'.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by awayatc View Post
    Not a lot to worry about on a track......
    no pedestrians, no road works, pets or even other road users.....
    only other bikes all going the same direction...

so in your own limited vocabulary, so you understand maybe...:
    you are talking out of your arsehole you fucking dumb twat.....
    How fucken hard is this to comprehend? The amount of things to worry about on a track versus the road , is fucken moot.

It flat out doesn't take that long to check your speed.

Quote Originally Posted by RDJ View Post
    Clearly Drew is a superior form of homo sapiens and we should bow in worship at the Altar of his Innate Motorcycling Superiority.

(Yeah, that was sarcasm. What can I say, it's been a long day dealing with, including, the unroadworthy).

Unfortunately for reality, 50% of the population is less capable than average. Y'all (excluding Drew) may want to factor that into any pontifications about the amount of time it will take to absorb and process and act upon inbound information. Just sayin'.
    So, half of the people posting are below average (and the average is fucken appaling) drivers. I'm happy to admit I might not be that flash at it, but I can maintain a constant speed.

Bike
    Valkyrie 1500 ,HD softail, BMW r1150r
    How fucken hard is this to comprehend? The amount of things to worry about on a track versus the road , is fucken moot.

It flat out doesn't take that long to check your speed.

understood you first, second and umptieth time....

you are a cunt..

at least you are trying very hard to sound like one

loud enough to convince me anyway
    Opinions are like arseholes: Everybody has got one, but that doesn't mean you got to air it in public all the time....

Thread Information