Thread: Round 1 NZ SBK champs " Superlight race report"

Bike
    Normally Suzuki

Round 1 NZ SBK champs " Superlight race report"

New Zealand Grand Prix Title

1x 2nd place and 2x 1st place in round 1 of the NZ SBK champs. I am racing in the " Superlight class" which is hot rodded 650 twins and de tuned 600cc bikes down to 450cc bikes, so kinda like a triple.

Every one has budget issue's with racing, but I managed to purchase 1x a Brand new Rear tire for this meeting- woo hoo. So Thursday- friday and saturday Qualify and race was on old used tires that I had scrounched of other riders THANKS GUYS, and for Sunday's 2 races, I put the front tire on that I had done qual and 2 races at Wanganui with, and a brand new 180 SC0 Pirelli. Eurobike wholesalers had given me a couple of spare new Regina chains to give out to any full privateer rider I chose to give them too, but I decided to let the commentators choose this rider, so as too divorce myself from any favouritism, thanks to them for doing it and Eurobikie wholesalers/Regina chain for this.

Race 1 on Sat was very cool, 1st time for me in 11 years to start a NZ Championship race, I got a good start as I usually do and took a half a lap or so to take 1st position on track, all was going well untill a few turns from the end when we came across a lapped rider and I was too soft and gentleman like ( Haha) and Mathew Hoosinberg wipped around the outside of me and the lapped rider and held position for the win, bloody good on him I say, he is only 20 I think, and has a big future just like his 2 other brothers. I had no pit boards so had no idea what my leed was in this race, and once you start thinking about things like that, you automataically do not ride as well as you were or can, so I got slower I guess, but Mathew kicked my ass fear and square, and it was cool to see his physicall excitement after the win!

Morning warm up on Sunday was a dissaster for Mathew, as another riders bike brake pads fell out! " NOT THE RIDERS FAULT AT ALL !!!! ( Yes they did) and sadly this rider hit Mathew from behind and hurt him too much for him to be able to race the rest of the day, hope he is back soon though.

Race 2 I got another good start into 2nd postion again from 3rd on the grid and half a lap in or so I took the leed again, I was using a pit board for this race and worked up to a 4 second leed by half race distance and then started noticing some thing on my board I had not asked for, it was the lap count down, I NEVER have that displayed, as I believe if you are not fit enough which I am not yet, it subconsiously makes you feel tired and I started making little mistakes/ or not riding as freely as I was, and young Jacob Stroud ( Son of 9x NZ SBK champion Andrew Stroud) was on my ass big time, but I managed to hold him off and take my first win in the NZ Championships since 2003! Jacob Stroud was only 0.1 of the lap record for Ruapuna, what a star I say and only 17 years old.

Race 3 had a special little title for it called " The NZ Grand Prix" I had no Pit board for this race, which was good, as it made me stay focused on my job alone, I got another good start into 2nd and took the leed at turn 3 and just stayed focused and stretching the cables for this 12 lap race. I built up enough of a gap after 4 or so laps, that I could see through a hairpin turn exactyually where 2nd place was, so this allowed me to ride accordingly, you only have to win by a wheel to win, and my tire was starting to go off now, as track temp was down and I was running a SC0 which was not ideal for the temp, but kept it all together to take another win and the NZ Grand prix title, first time I have won a NZ GP Title in 13 or 14 years I think.

So obviously I am feeling rather happy and proud, but there is work to be done on my riding still, as I know I can ride a lot faster yet, but are building back up again in stages, I cannot afford tires let alone crash damage, and this old mans body will not like hitting the ground hard lol. I believe i was costing myself up to 2 seconds a lap after de briefing myself last night, and I never lie to myself, you guys maybe, but not to myself.

Next round only a few days away, www.ctas.co.nz will be filming again for free live online viewing. Thanks to all my supporters out there, see you in the soup some time, Peace out.
    shaun@motodynamix.co.nz

I love my job Call 0223210319--AKA Shaun

Bike
    CBR450RR
    Blog Entries
    You did bloody well. All that experience coming through and you were never slow (in the head maybe but not on a bike). Good job and well done.

I was disappointed to see that Gav didn't quite find the pace the whole weekend, Jacob had one good ride and Matt Hoogie crashed. After the Suzuki Series F3 races I was expecting some close hard racing.
    Zen wisdom: No matter what happens, somebody will find a way to take it too seriously. - obviously had KB in mind when he came up with that gem

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Bike
    XB12S
    What can one say
    After all youve been through
    Well done very well done
    Proved you arnt all piss and wind.

Silly old men can still show the younger guys the way

Congrats Shaun

Bike
    Normally Suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by gsxr View Post
    What can one say
    After all youve been through
    Well done very well done
    Proved you arnt all piss and wind.

Silly old men can still show the younger guys the way

Congrats Shaun
    Cheers dude. I love racing bikes, simple as that
    shaun@motodynamix.co.nz

Bike
    Normally Suzuki
    Big shout out to Rua from this site. Really appreciated the financuall support dude, it will help me big time
    shaun@motodynamix.co.nz

Bike
    1995 Ducati 916 SP
    Fantastic effort mate, you deserve a lot of compliments.
    What's more, you're the only one bothering to take the time to do write ups and that's awesome.
    You can't spell for shit, often come across as a tosser and take a heap of abuse with a fair amount of dignity. You must be incredibly thick skinned or just plain thick but we all know you had lot's of talent (on bikes) and race nous and after all your injury related issues it's a real tribute to your mental toughness to get back on the horse and perform.
    Well done and good luck with rest of the series.

Bike
    CBR450RR
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreama View Post
    What's more, you're the only one bothering to take the time to do write ups and that's awesome.
    On this site. There's plenty that do a quick write up on Facebook. However, Facebook write ups tend to be rather brief.
    Zen wisdom: No matter what happens, somebody will find a way to take it too seriously. - obviously had KB in mind when he came up with that gem

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Bike
    Aprillia RSV1000R 92 KX500
    Blog Entries
    Well done Shaun, to get back up to this level after all this time, as well as overcoming your extensive injuries is very impressive.
    I too miss the KB "Race Reports". So thanks for that too!

Bike
    Normally Suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreama View Post
    Fantastic effort mate, you deserve a lot of compliments.
    You can't spell for shit, often come across as a tosser and take a heap of abuse with a fair amount of dignity. You must be incredibly thick skinned or just plain thick but we all know you had lot's of talent (on bikes) and race nous and after all your injury related issues it's a real tribute to your mental toughness to get back on the horse and perform.
    Well done and good luck with rest of the series.

Cheers and Lol. Basically I am a mentally tough fucker who has wiped his own ass all his life. My child hood was a real fuck up due to some very nasty things I witnessed done to a family member, and I reacted to that by becoming a seriously loose unit and fuking up my own education and opportunities by being a looser! When I decided to grow some balls and get on with life and starting racing, nothing has stopped me since, and nothing ever will again. I moved to Japan to race in the SBK A Class in 1989/90 after only ever having raced 9 race meetings here Total, and had never done any dirt riding, just a full on loony on the roads. Yea I became a deffinate wanker on here over the last few years, but I had genuine reasons/excuses for that, apart from just being a deep down dumb fuk ass hole haha. Cheers
    shaun@motodynamix.co.nz

Bike
    Normally Suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by sugilite View Post
    Well done Shaun, to get back up to this level after all this time, as well as overcoming your extensive injuries is very impressive.
    I too miss the KB "Race Reports". So thanks for that too!

Welcome dude. This is motorcyclists land, so I post here and on face book for my over seas fans to read and follow
    shaun@motodynamix.co.nz

Thread Information