Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disc rotor replacement (Chinese on Trade Me)

Bike
    2004 Ducati ST3

eek Disc rotor replacement (Chinese on Trade Me)

Hi folks,
    have been looking at the new Chinese made disc rotors on Trade Me:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...?id=1013373400

Any feedback from anyone who has used these?
    Original replacements are pricey, not surprised I guess

Thanks,

Scorchy

Bike
    a red heap
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorchy View Post
    Hi folks,
    have been looking at the new Chinese made disc rotors on Trade Me:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...?id=1013373400

Any feedback from anyone who has used these?
    Original replacements are pricey, not surprised I guess

Thanks,

Scorchy
    if you want Chinese shit, why don't you order it from aliexpress yourself and save some money?

Bike
    ---2000 Triumph SprintT

Thumbs down

Chinese make cheap shit chinese stuff when asked to..or pretty much top quality repros..when asked to...question is..which of the two is the brake rotor? I have fitted and used chinese brake pads which outlasted the Honda and Triumph originals and had no perceivable loss of braking.
    In my dim dark past...I have imported and used countless computer motherboards to build PC systems - from Taiwan (not quite China I know)...all top order. But I could have sourced boards for a fraction of the price. The diff with the mainboards..when our then hardware director went to Taiwan in about 1990...he saw product being built in pokey little back alley shops - with sawdust and woodchip on the floor! He also visited Micronix factory where all staff wore white suits and worked in sterile polished (expensive) factories - but the end product was much dearer. We went with Micronix. PC Direct and PC General didn't. We lived they died. Cost of failure exceeded their margin return...eventually.
    Try to find the breed/brand. Is that traceable on the web? Look for consumer feedback etc. Otherwise..I'd likely refrain. It indicates a sawdust environment.

Bike
    2004 Ducati ST3
    Quote Originally Posted by Trade_nancy View Post
    Chinese make cheap shit chinese stuff when asked to..or pretty much top quality repros..when asked to...question is..which of the two is the brake rotor? I have fitted and used chinese brake pads which outlasted the Honda and Triumph originals and had no perceivable loss of braking.
    In my dim dark past...I have imported and used countless computer motherboards to build PC systems - from Taiwan (not quite China I know)...all top order. But I could have sourced boards for a fraction of the price. The diff with the mainboards..when our then hardware director went to Taiwan in about 1990...he saw product being built in pokey little back alley shops - with sawdust and woodchip on the floor! He also visited Micronix factory where all staff wore white suits and worked in sterile polished (expensive) factories - but the end product was much dearer. We went with Micronix. PC Direct and PC General didn't. We lived they died. Cost of failure exceeded their margin return...eventually.
    Try to find the breed/brand. Is that traceable on the web? Look for consumer feedback etc. Otherwise..I'd likely refrain. It indicates a sawdust environment.
    Checked with the seller and is apparently Galfer, US brand that looks OK. Given a local is fronting them for same price point as Aliexpress looks like reproductions. Manufacture in Thailand which has a similar risk profile to China of relatively recent times.

Appreciate your comments but still looking for someone who has actually used them.

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    a quick ebay search reveals galfer front rotors for an ST2 costing more than that EACH, let alone for a pair - I doubt they are galfer.

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    I've got very similar on the 900SS, slightly dished carrier but otherwise similar profile. Brand name unknown, lasercut stainless steel. Also bought off TradeMe.

They're OK. Ducati OEM they ain't, though. They seem to be wearing relatively quickly (5.0mm brand new, 4.7 - 4.8 mm about a year and a half on, with a 4.5mm wear limit), and I'd picked up a nasty pogo-ing brake behaviour. It doesn't seem to be a thickness variation problem, instead a grip variation in the wheel's rotating position. My guess is that it's a characteristic of a grained material, which is why good discs are cast, not rolled like sheet is.

The stainless has discoloured severely over winter, with the beginnings of rust spots appearing.

They were (at the time I bought) a quarter the price of Ducati OEM from the dealer, so actually pretty good value... but have a look at this:

http://www.stein-dinse.biz/advanced_...words=78B40870

If it doesn't come up, Stein Dinse have Brembo discs for 170 Euro each. For 240 Euro there's stainless.

Bike
    mutton dressed up as lamb and a 73 XL250
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorchy View Post
    Checked with the seller and is apparently Galfer, US brand that looks OK. Given a local is fronting them for same price point as Aliexpress looks like reproductions. Manufacture in Thailand which has a similar risk profile to China of relatively recent times.

Appreciate your comments but still looking for someone who has actually used them.
    There not Galfer mate...your right though Galfer are good,these i wouldnt bet my life on.Repro is ok when it comes to shit like levers (lets face it they cant be any worse than oem which work fine) but discs...fuck that.
    Be the person your dog thinks you are...

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDR
    I bought some similar to the ones in that link in the OP for my 05 Speed Triple. Used them for about 15 months and did approximately 20,000km on them. Cost me $292 for the pair landed and they were great. In fact better than the OEM Sunstar rotors they replaced.
    Nunquam Non Paratus

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Not the first I have heard of them pulsing. I have a set here that pulse which i should spin up on a lathe sometime to see whats wrong.

Dont fancy using a set.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Quote Originally Posted by OddDuck View Post

They were (at the time I bought) a quarter the price of Ducati OEM from the dealer, so actually pretty good value...
    Not from how you've described them.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    There used to be an NZ engineering firm in Tauranga or somewhere that advertised Kiwi made discs in the local bike mags. An Aprilia owner of my acquaintance fitted their discs at a significant saving over the factory parts.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    2015 GSX1300R Hayabusa
    Metalgear I think? I have them on my Gixxer and they are excellent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    There used to be an NZ engineering firm in Tauranga or somewhere
    Would that be F1 Engineering in Ngaruawahia? He repaired one of my rotors once and did a very nice job at reasonable cost.
    Nunquam Non Paratus

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Quote Originally Posted by OddDuck View Post
    I've got very similar on the 900SS, slightly dished carrier but otherwise similar profile. Brand name unknown, lasercut stainless steel. Also bought off TradeMe.

They're OK. Ducati OEM they ain't, though. They seem to be wearing relatively quickly (5.0mm brand new, 4.7 - 4.8 mm about a year and a half on, with a 4.5mm wear limit), and I'd picked up a nasty pogo-ing brake behaviour. It doesn't seem to be a thickness variation problem, instead a grip variation in the wheel's rotating position. My guess is that it's a characteristic of a grained material, which is why good discs are cast, not rolled like sheet is.

The stainless has discoloured severely over winter, with the beginnings of rust spots appearing.

They were (at the time I bought) a quarter the price of Ducati OEM from the dealer, so actually pretty good value... but have a look at this:

http://www.stein-dinse.biz/advanced_...words=78B40870

If it doesn't come up, Stein Dinse have Brembo discs for 170 Euro each. For 240 Euro there's stainless.
    I've dealt with Stein Dinse, good to deal with. Create a log on and you get ex Tax pricing. They don't rip you on post like other places.
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    1999 Yamaha R1
    I bought front rotors from China a while back. They were good at first but then the rivets loosened to the point where there was a clunk every time I braked.

The seller wasn't interested of course, so they went in the bin and I bought some EBCs. Not exactly thrilled with them either but at least they've lasted a few years.

Thread Information