Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bridgestone T30R - 5/10

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries

Bridgestone T30R - 5/10

I'd watched all the discussion on here when the T30s were originally released with some interest. I've had a love/hate relationship with Bridgestone since the early '90s, when their first radial tyres released into the wild were almost, and I'm not entirely sure it wasn't deliberate, actually called "Excrement". Bridgestone spelled it "Excedra", but you know how other cultures sometimes inadvertently use English in odd ways. I spent a couple of weeks swapping ends on my RC30 before the rear mercifully just gave up the ghost and went flat. By then Yokohama had released a range of radials and they were light years ahead of the Bridgestones in terms of gaining and keeping heat and actually gripping.

Since then I've had some very different experiences with Bridgestones. The factory combo on my Z750S was brilliant, but not obtainable once worn out and the BT021s I tried were nasty. The tread blocks moved around when changing direction rapidly, especially flip flopping from decent lean to decent lean and the front tyre made a humming noise when approaching the edge of the tread which was unnerving.

I was a bit surprised to see Maha re-gift his free T30s. A free tyre is a free tyre, but a couple of wet weather scares 2 up were off-putting. I spoke to him at length and he was totally convinced that they weren't for him. It wasn't until the first time I rode the Versys in the wet that I found out what he was talking about. A gentle right instituted a long front end slide followed by a gently fishtailing rear after gathering things together, then it all stopped abruptly when the coarse seal started again and normal service resumed.

Since then I've discovered that in the cold and wet they will simply just stop gripping the moment they hit shiny tarmac. Once you know it's going to happen you can adjust accordingly and be aware of the likely skating about without overreacting and doing something regrettable and you can plot a course that mostly misses the shiny bits. Even in the dry they give up all pretense of grip on tar snakes which is a bit of an arse in spots where they proliferate, such as passing under the Petone Over-bridge, an off-camber right-hand downhill corner when heading North that used to be an easy 100kph (100kph+ actually - tell no official-type people) corner but is now posted at 80kph+poo-in-your-underpants if you have T30Rs attached to your bike.

In the dry and on an easily judged and consistent surface they are fantastic. They steer well without being overly quick with no sensation of either dropping into a turn or pushing back as lean angle increases, both profiles seem to be well matched and braking produces consistent responses at all sorts of lever pressures. They're compliant over bumpy surfaces and they are wearing really well. The dual compound rear is prone to revealing its boundaries when put through a proper heat cycle, with the two different compounds being made obvious by them turning different shades of grey. Commute to work and it returns to a consistent colour across the radius of the tyre.

Getting the tyre pressure right for your riding and the combined weight of the bike and rider is vital, as get it wrong and the front and rear seem to fight each other and the superbly neutral steering becomes lardy. I've settled on 36 front and 38 rear, with rebound set toward the middle and preload maxxed out front and rear. The suspension became compliant and the tyres started working once I made that change. Bear in mind that the Versys has a 160/60 rear so my description of the neutral feel once suspension and pressures are right is probably aided by less effort being needed to steer a smaller rear tyre than the 190 and 200 section behemoths that seem to be standard nowadays (Get Orf My Lawn!).

They were brand new when I bought the bike, so I've gotten used to them as I've gotten used to the Versys. Adequate power, smaller tyres and more torque than one would expect is crammed into the bottom two thirds of the rev range so it's a completely different experience to the XJR, with its excessive weight, flat, monstrous torque "curve" and good handling only limited by a lack of ground clearance. I prefer the Versys to be honest, but I wouldn't buy Bridgestone T30Rs with my own money. I've a couple of months left to wear them out before it starts raining all the time so I can put some Michelin PR4s on it. I understand they deal with a broader range of road conditions. Or so you lot reckon anyway, except that Blackbird fella who reckons the PR3s are better and last longer.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    Blandit 1200, DRZ250 K, Beta xtrainer
    I had a very similar experience in all regards to your post,on my GSX 1200 with a new set of T30s.I totally lost faith in them in the end. Too many slides for no reason. I like Bridgestones, esp s20s but I will never have T30s again.

Bike
    R1200GSA
    I made the change from AngelGTs to the T30GT yesterday. I admit it was driven by two factors, 1. the TWI were less than 0.5mm from jumping up and smacking me, 2. I was VERY badly miffed when the dealership I had remained quite loyal to quoted me a price for the Pirellis $200 more than the last set. I protested and had 3 staff explaining it was just too bad the prices had jumped that much and their margins were now lowered.

So under these dual clouds I rang around and got a better deal, on T30s as it happened.

Now I am nervous. I commute in all weathers and the word was this tyre performed in the wet and dry. I am curious now if its a bike/tyre/rider combination thing......
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by James Deuce View Post
    I was a bit surprised to see Maha re-gift his free T30s. A free tyre is a free tyre, but a couple of wet weather scares 2 up were off-putting. I spoke to him at length and he was totally convinced that they weren't for him. It wasn't until the first time I rode the Versys in the wet that I found out what he was talking about. A gentle right instituted a long front end slide followed by a gently fishtailing rear after gathering things together, then it all stopped abruptly when the coarse seal started again and normal service resumed.

Since then I've discovered that in the cold and wet they will simply just stop gripping the moment they hit shiny tarmac. Once you know it's going to happen you can adjust accordingly and be aware of the likely skating about without overreacting and doing something regrettable and you can plot a course that mostly misses the shiny bits.

Getting the tyre pressure right for your riding and the combined weight of the bike and rider is vital, as get it wrong and the front and rear seem to fight each other and the superbly neutral steering becomes lardy. I've settled on 36 front and 38 rear, with rebound set toward the middle and preload maxxed out front and rear.

Adequate power, smaller tyres and more torque than one would expect is crammed into the bottom two thirds of the rev range.I can put some Michelin PR4s on it. I understand they deal with a broader range of road conditions.
    Maha offered me some good advice too which I listened to and like you found out he was right.
    Shiny Tarmac is something I would like to see dissappear on ALL NZ roads.
    I now ride to avoid the shiny bits in any wet conditions.

Your comments about getting tyre pressure etc are right on the money

Myself I have been in a long rear slide as Maha described to me (PR3 GT) and didn't react properly (lack of knowledge of what to do) and have lived with the consequences(after the PR3 regained traction). At least it wasn't too fast.

Keen to get info about PR4 but now careful when I ride in any damp conditions.

Nice write up about what you found, should be compulsory for riders to read. Doesn't apply just to those tyres as they can apply this to their machines as well.
    Last edited by eldog; 17th January 2016 at 13:32. Reason: PR3 GT - there is a difference for the heavier bikes

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    Sold
    I've a couple of months left to wear them out before it starts raining all the time so I can put some Michelin PR4s on it. I understand they deal with a broader range of road conditions. Or so you lot reckon anyway, except that Blackbird fella who reckons the PR3s are better and last longer.
    Tut, tut Jim! I didn't say that at all! If you're referring to this: http://geoffjames.blogspot.co.nz/201...fe-review.html , I said that Michelin's claim of 20% more life for a PR4 than a PR3 was not substantiated by my personal experience and the grip was much the same. I did say however that as the PR4's were more expensive, the PR3's seemed to offer better value for money. Since writing that, I'm not actually sure that PR3's are imported any more although they're readily available overseas.

Just to finish off, yesterday, I ordered a set of PR4's for the GSX-S. The OEM D214 sport compound tyres have lasted a tad over 3500 km before needing replacing. That's more or less normal road use, not track days. No issue with grip on warm dry days but I didn't trust the bastards on cooler wet days at all. For the type of riding I do, it's sport touring tyres all the way!

PS - nice write-up of your experience!

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Just fishing for a reaction Mr Blackbird. I suspected it was a value proposition based on spurious manufacturer marketing for the "new" product. Thank you for posting the link.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulsterkiwi View Post
    I made the change from AngelGTs to the T30GT yesterday. I admit it was driven by two factors, 1. the TWI were less than 0.5mm from jumping up and smacking me, 2. I was VERY badly miffed when the dealership I had remained quite loyal to quoted me a price for the Pirellis $200 more than the last set. I protested and had 3 staff explaining it was just too bad the prices had jumped that much and their margins were now lowered.

So under these dual clouds I rang around and got a better deal, on T30s as it happened.

Now I am nervous. I commute in all weathers and the word was this tyre performed in the wet and dry. I am curious now if its a bike/tyre/rider combination thing......
    Let us know how the GTs go, as I suspect they're a completely different animal.

It's a bugger when the "rules" change at a dealer, but sometimes we take the special treatment we get for granted. I do understand though.

Bike
    R1200GSA
    Let us know how the GTs go, as I suspect they're a completely different animal.

It's a bugger when the "rules" change at a dealer, but sometimes we take the special treatment we get for granted. I do understand though.
    am very keen to see how they go myself

I don't think the pricing was peculiar to me previously and you are right, its all too easy to expect special treatment or feel entitled. That said, the purchase of two near new bikes, lots of accessories (expensive ones!) for both, servicing, tyres and gear purchases all done through the same dealership should count for more than a lecture from 3 staff about how little money they are making and its just too bad the prices have gone up followed by impotent shrugs all around.
    Something along the lines of, "ok, lets see what we can do" would not have gotten my hackles up. Even $20 or $30 of what was quoted originally would have placated me as I really liked the tyres in question (this would have been the third set). I was also set on putting the same tyres on my wife's bike, until that particular conversation.

Anyway, I am hijacking the thread, apologies, not my intention. Shall report back on the T30s after a few kms.
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Bike
    Obsolete ones.

Anyway, I am hijacking the thread, apologies, not my intention. Shall report back on the T30s after a few kms.
    Good. I've been thinking the Pirelli Angels will replace my T30's. A comparison would be lovely.

Having said that, I really like the T30's on my TDM. No issues wet, dry or tar snaky. Oh, melted tar caused a twitch but you would probably need tracks to avoid that.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    A fast one
    I've got a set of T30s on my Hornet 900. I've got approximately 15,000kms on them so far, and would estimate they have another 2-4,000 left.

For a period, I was commuting up to 130kms a day from out in the rural middle of no where to Auckland city every day; rain, hail or shine. This entailed a mix of country roads/highways (think cow shit, and tar snakes), motorway and city traffic.

Not once in the ~14 months I've had the T30s have I had a slip or any sign of poor grip. I've taken them to the track twice (Hampton Downs) and had a few weekends of fun on them. I'm not a racer, but I'm not slow either and love going hard through corners.

Smooth is fast, smooth keeps grip. That's what I've always told myself anyway.

The S20 Evo rear on the other hand...great tyre in the dry but the only one I've managed a 'whoopsie' moment on since I've had the bike. Going in to a right hand sweeping corner at ~75km/h in the wet and the rear started to get loose, slid around for a little bit and managed to catch it. Only managed to get around 8,500 kms (from memory) out of the rear. Having travelled that same corner many times in the rain since then, I haven't had that issue on the T30.

Bike
    Husqvarna TE 2007
    I just put a set on my 600 yesterday, so I'll keep everyone informed on progress

Bike
    Blandit 1200, DRZ250 K, Beta xtrainer
    Interesting thread, and I am not surprised. Almost a marmite tyre. Some swear by them, some swear at them!

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Had them on my Hornet 900 and they suited the bike and me well. To me fair the wettest it got was a mildly moist road and I adjust speed to suit. Tar- snakes are a arse on most tyres - cheap-arse patch-up rod work to satisfy some council bean counter.

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Tar- snakes are a arse on most tyres - cheap-arse patch-up rod work to satisfy some council bean counter.
    Agreed, foundation and or road spec wrong in first place

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Tut, tut Jim! I didn't say that at all! If you're referring to this: http://geoffjames.blogspot.co.nz/201...fe-review.html , I said that Michelin's claim of 20% more life for a PR4 than a PR3 was not substantiated by my personal experience and the grip was much the same. I did say however that as the PR4's were more expensive, the PR3's seemed to offer better value for money. Since writing that, I'm not actually sure that PR3's are imported any more although they're readily available overseas.

Just to finish off, yesterday, I ordered a set of PR4's for the GSX-S. The OEM D214 sport compound tyres have lasted a tad over 3500 km before needing replacing. That's more or less normal road use, not track days. No issue with grip on warm dry days but I didn't trust the bastards on cooler wet days at all. For the type of riding I do, it's sport touring tyres all the way!

PS - nice write-up of your experience!
    PR3s move about when you are on the edges. PR2s are a lot better for this and are stable.

PR4s looked to have solved this with not having the sipes right out to the edge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Thread Information