Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How many cans will it take to paint the whole bike?

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by Erelyes View Post
    Forget I said it. Go ahead and paint your calipers in something standard. And then if the paint flakes off, go and buy another can of something actually designed to withstand heat and repaint em again.
    I have race bikes with standard paint on the calipers and engine with no issues. as for the wheels, heatproof will stop the paint burning off on re entry.
    I think most people seriously underestimate the temp standard paint will handle.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    I have race bikes with standard paint on the calipers and engine with no issues. as for the wheels, heatproof will stop the paint burning off on re entry.
    I think most people seriously underestimate the temp standard paint will handle.
    I'm with the above - provided you have purchased a quality vehicle paint it will be fine on motorcycle calipers - most blistering of paint is poor prep.

And 'yes' I have actually painted some

Bike
    Honda vfr 750 fn 1992 x2 90red
    Blog Entries

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Erelyes View Post
    I did 7-8 cans of color on my fully faired bike recently, painting just the fairings. That wasn't enough. Tiger striping in the metallic still evident.

But that's cos I used a metallic, which was a bit dumb. If I did it again I'd do a solid color. If you do solid color I think the above number would be enough.

You'll want a higher-temp stuff on calipers and maybe rims.

You then have 2-3 to do clearcoat as well, though.

Durability will be negligible between rattlecans and using a sprayer yourself. If you want better durability, you need 2K paint, and that means a proper spray-booth with air-breathing apparatuses etc, or you'll fuck your lungs / CNS / get ALL the cancers.

Rims will take a beating so may pay to leave them, or get a pro to do em.
    HI sorry for butting in when you say clear coat i was going to use a auto motive lacear ( i shit i cant speel ) as i got a xr 200 frame sand blasted and guy used a can to spray the bike but it chiped of in a few places was going to

get either a spary can or i got tin of my dads aotomotive laquear . i used to brass plate and dip the light fittings in a bath of the stuff but i forgot what the boss used to thin it down as was like 30 years ago . assume thinners

cheers . oh ps am thinking of trying painting abs fairings do you neeed special primer ?

Bike
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    dont be a foggot.
    git your ass a couple of shitter compressors and a badass grav spray gun and go tupac. or your a bitch.
    i was going to try my spary unit cheap one i got for fre with my compressor you rekon go for it ;-)

Only trouble is my garage has no power so i use a extension cord from the house says on my compressor thats a big nono as power surges or not consistant power. i use the comp in the spare room

but not going spray paint in there fumes be dangerous plus wife kill me

Bike
    CB1300
    Quote Originally Posted by actungbaby View Post
    i was going to try my spary unit cheap one i got for fre with my compressor you rekon go for it ;-)

Only trouble is my garage has no power so i use a extension cord from the house says on my compressor thats a big nono as power surges or not consistant power. i use the comp in the spare room

So run a long hose out to your garage. Hoses cost same as extensions.

Sent via tapatalk.

Bike
    CB1300
    Also a good heavy duty extension lead won't see too much voltage drop. Cost a bit more than an extra hose, but gives you more options if not of your tools are electric.

Sent via tapatalk.

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    are you painting the wife?

hose extension or heavy duty electrical cable - check if wires are a bigger cross section(this is important for voltage drop) not just the insulation cover

it would take me a good couple of (beer)cans to paint the bike before I rung a professional to get it done. Then a whole lot more cans to tell the household accountant what I had done.

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
    Also a good heavy duty extension lead won't see too much voltage drop. Cost a bit more than an extra hose, but gives you more options if not of your tools are electric.

Sent via tapatalk.
    Thanks mate i look into that been such a pain want to try some welding too buy a cheap welder ;-)

Bike
    Blog Entries

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by eldog View Post
    are you painting the wife?

hose extension or heavy duty electrical cable - check if wires are a bigger cross section(this is important for voltage drop) not just the insulation cover

it would take me a good couple of (beer)cans to paint the bike before I rung a professional to get it done. Then a whole lot more cans to tell the household accountant what I had done.
    god mine has a live feed on the bank account ;-) i get home and she says whats the tool shed and what did you buy lol

Bike
    CB1300
    Thanks mate i look into that been such a pain want to try some welding too buy a cheap welder ;-)
    Do some classes they can be cheap or even free through night classes.
    A good second hand unit will be better value than a "cheap" welder if you care about output quality.

I found with cheaper stick welders it is easy to get a neat weld or a strong weld.
    Difficult to get both out of the same bead.
    Work out what the material uou are Likely to be working with needs and get one with 20% more grunt.
    E.g if you are welding up light sculptures or mending a garden fork a home cheapy will do. If your planning to weld up trailer parts you will need something bigger to penetrate the thicker plate.

Sent via tapatalk.

Bike
    77' CB750 Cafe Racer, 2009 Z750
    If you already have the compressor and spray gun take a look at some of the industrial and marine single stage two component paints. They still use a seperate hardner but you don't need to clear coat afterwards. You can buy special mixing pots that will help take the guesswork out of mixing. You can also paint two component using paint brushes - if you use it thin and use multiple coats you can get a really good finish - good enough for a bike frame. Google roll and tip method if your doing flat surfaces. If your only brushing you don't have to worry about isocyante getting in your lungs so easily.
    I love the smell of twin V16's in the morning..

Bike
    Between bikes
    cheers . oh ps am thinking of trying painting abs fairings do you neeed special primer ?
    Can help but not essential.

Adhesion promoter then epoxy primer if you want to do it properly. Otherwise, some 'bumper primer' in a spraycan will do OK.
    "It's hard to keep an open mind, when so many people are trying to put things in it"

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Do some classes they can be cheap or even free through night classes.
    A good second hand unit will be better value than a "cheap" welder if you care about output quality.

I found with cheaper stick welders it is easy to get a neat weld or a strong weld.
    Difficult to get both out of the same bead.
    Work out what the material uou are Likely to be working with needs and get one with 20% more grunt.
    E.g if you are welding up light sculptures or mending a garden fork a home cheapy will do. If your planning to weld up trailer parts you will need something bigger to penetrate the thicker plate.

Sent via tapatalk.
    Thanks mate yes i did a light enginerring course in 1997 got shakey hands ( must been bad dude in a past life llol) but i firgured am just really going try and do my best

yeah you get what you pay for so i probley go to a welding spealist and get there advice . my dream is to set up a small workshop and try making and reapir etc

i had a old lawn momer and was frustrated when chassis rusted and i chouldint fix it . one goal is to try design a motorcycle storage unit ie free up the shed and store my bikes outside

and also make some my own motorcycle stands front and rear.;-) i rather be doing something than going stark raving mad ;-)

Bike
    CB1300
    I hear you. I wish I had the time and pockets to do all the things I want...

Sent via tapatalk.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    I hear you. I wish I had the time and pockets to do all the things I want...

Sent via tapatalk.
    thank fuck the economy keeps you in check, otherwise you might achieve shit and be happy.

(just do it)

Thread Information