Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many cans will it take to paint the whole bike?

Bike
    parts in a box

How many cans will it take to paint the whole bike?

Looking to paint the whole bike: engine, frame, tank, forks, fenders, rims and calipers.

I'm trying to get an idea of cost. Hence looking for input from someone who has done a paint job recently and can tell me how many cans do I expect to go through.

Alternately I do have spray paint equipment but I'm not very confident with the mixing required and I've read horror stories about what happens if you don't get the mix right, unlike a spray can which is just point and paint.

However if there is a significant difference in price and durability (ie cheaper and more durable - with my skills, there's unlikely to be much difference in quality) I might be persuaded to risk the spray gun.

Chur.

Bike
    Between bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by racingtothecafe View Post
    Looking to paint the whole bike: engine, frame, tank, forks, fenders, rims and calipers.

I'm trying to get an idea of cost. Hence looking for input from someone who has done a paint job recently and can tell me how many cans do I expect to go through.

Alternately I do have spray paint equipment but I'm not very confident with the mixing required and I've read horror stories about what happens if you don't get the mix right, unlike a spray can which is just point and paint.

However if there is a significant difference in price and durability (ie cheaper and more durable - with my skills, there's unlikely to be much difference in quality) I might be persuaded to risk the spray gun.

Chur.
    I did 7-8 cans of color on my fully faired bike recently, painting just the fairings. That wasn't enough. Tiger striping in the metallic still evident.

But that's cos I used a metallic, which was a bit dumb. If I did it again I'd do a solid color. If you do solid color I think the above number would be enough.

You'll want a higher-temp stuff on calipers and maybe rims.

You then have 2-3 to do clearcoat as well, though.

Durability will be negligible between rattlecans and using a sprayer yourself. If you want better durability, you need 2K paint, and that means a proper spray-booth with air-breathing apparatuses etc, or you'll fuck your lungs / CNS / get ALL the cancers.

Rims will take a beating so may pay to leave them, or get a pro to do em.
    "It's hard to keep an open mind, when so many people are trying to put things in it"

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Do you have a shop in Dunners that will supply the colour you want in a can with vehicle grade paint?

In CHCH we have The Spraystore and one other I cannot think of. They will colour match and fill a decent sized can with quality paint. I've used their paints successfully on custom parts I've made and they have held up very well. Cans have a really nice nozzle as well that puts out a splat free nice spray (unlike many of the Bunnings/Mitre10 style ones).

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by Erelyes View Post

You'll want a higher-temp stuff on calipers and maybe rims.
    Fuck me, how fast are you planning to ride this thing?

Bike
    Between bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Do you have a shop in Dunners that will supply the colour you want in a can with vehicle grade paint?
    Rainbow paints does.
    "It's hard to keep an open mind, when so many people are trying to put things in it"

Bike
    less than I used to have
    Quote Originally Posted by Erelyes View Post
    Rainbow paints does.
    ...he was thinking of one colour...

Bike
    00 Gixxer 750 and ZX10 tricycle
    Cue: Jimmy-White Trash.....
    Built for speed, not for comfort

Bike
    Forza 155 SE Pit Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Kornholio View Post
    Cue: Jimmy-White Trash.....
    I recently repainted my daughters VTR250 with a fairly decent finish with rattle cans. It's a fuckload more prep work and finishing work than you might think. I used two can of plastic etch primer and two cans of standard primer and then probably five cans of acrylic colour and almost three cans of acrylic clear. Rattle cans seem to offer a fairly rough top coat finish so be prepared to flatten it with a really fine wet and dry before the clear, and then possibly after the clear and then a really good polish to bring the shine back to it.

Or, if you're any sort of real bloke, you'll just grab five cans of engine enamel, matt black and spray the hole cunting thing. No masking allowed.
    Vote David Bain for MNZ president

Bike
    2009 KTM990
    Reminds me of a Boyracer on a budget I seen outside supercheap once Matt blacking out his civic with spray cans.

Doing it proper newspaper and tape on the windows ect...When he would run a can out he would just pop back into the shop and buy another hell bent on not buying more than what he needed.I reckon he was there all afternoon.

A special breed those guys.......

Agree still a lot of prep work for a good finish either way and still looking at a shed load of cans to do a bike.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    dont be a foggot.
    git your ass a couple of shitter compressors and a badass grav spray gun and go tupac. or your a bitch.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    If you are going compressor the cheap ones are crap for painting. And if buying a gun the same - better of making the commitment and getting good stuff that will do a good job and last. Or punch out the best ever rattle can job and impress your mates.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    If you are going compressor the cheap ones are crap for painting. And if buying a gun the same - better of making the commitment and getting good stuff that will do a good job and last. Or punch out the best ever rattle can job and impress your mates.
    two shitter compressors tied together will run most guns. While yes, i fully advocate 3cylinder belt drive 200lt receiver compressors, they're just not feasible for bitches.

And i never said a crap gun. I believe the adjective was "badass".

Bike
    a red heap
    Quote Originally Posted by racingtothecafe View Post
    ..... how many cans do I expect to go through.

about 14, its a pretty good idea to only drink about 4 before starting.

Bike
    2009 KTM990
    Quote Originally Posted by nodrog View Post
    about 14, its a pretty good idea to only drink about 4 before starting.
    What?....But huffing 4 cans of spray before you start makes the colors brighter....

Bike
    Between bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    Fuck me, how fast are you planning to ride this thing?
    Forget I said it. Go ahead and paint your calipers in something standard. And then if the paint flakes off, go and buy another can of something actually designed to withstand heat and repaint em again.

Thread Information