Thread: Updating maps in Garmin Zumo 220

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600

Updating maps in Garmin Zumo 220

I wanted to update the NZ Open GPS project maps in the Zumo 220.

I have a new computer. I had no Garmin software installed to do the download. I always used MapSource before.

I have tried the old method of downloading Training Centre before MapSource but it seems that Training Centre is no longer supported (site says "No software is currently available for this product.)
    So I loaded Basecamp in the hope that MapSource would accept that as existing Garmin software. Sure enough, MapSource loaded up.

BUT:

When I try, on the new computer, to update the maps using MapSource, I get a message saying "There is a problem with this Garmin application." It asks for an error report. Whether I supply one or not, MapSource then closes without allowing the loading of the maps.

So I tried to load the maps using Basecamp. But I can find no way of selecting the Open GPS maps in order to load them. They come up in the window when I open Basecamp but there appears to be no "map" tool in Basecamp akin to the one in Mapsource. Nothing that allows me to select the map.

So two questions:

1. If I want to use Basecamp, how do I get around the problem above?

2. What is the problem with MapSource?

Incidentally, I hooked up my old computer and that worked fine to update the maps. But i don't want to have to do that every time I update maps...

Any ideas?

Tx.
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    I Ride No More
    Quote Originally Posted by slofox View Post
    I wanted to update the NZ Open GPS project maps in the Zumo 220.

I have a new computer. I had no Garmin software installed to do the download. I always used MapSource before.

I have tried the old method of downloading Training Centre before MapSource but it seems that Training Centre is no longer supported (site says "No software is currently available for this product.)
    So I loaded Basecamp in the hope that MapSource would accept that as existing Garmin software. Sure enough, MapSource loaded up.

BUT:

When I try, on the new computer, to update the maps using MapSource, I get a message saying "There is a problem with this Garmin application." It asks for an error report. Whether I supply one or not, MapSource then closes without allowing the loading of the maps.

So I tried to load the maps using Basecamp. But I can find no way of selecting the Open GPS maps in order to load them. They come up in the window when I open Basecamp but there appears to be no "map" tool in Basecamp akin to the one in Mapsource. Nothing that allows me to select the map.

So two questions:

1. If I want to use Basecamp, how do I get around the problem above?

2. What is the problem with MapSource?

Incidentally, I hooked up my old computer and that worked fine to update the maps. But i don't want to have to do that every time I update maps...

Any ideas?

Tx.
    Hi,
    Someone more knowledgeable than me will be along soon to help you, but in the interim, something to check. I had a similar issue after having changed machines , shifting from Win XP to Win 7 Pro in the process. Found that after much web forum search, MapSource v6.5.11 was the last 'stable' version. If you go to the Garmin home website and do a search, there should be a webpage with a list of allowable versions for download.

The other issue I had was that within mapSource, there is a parameter setting (can't find it at the moment) that allows you to specify the OS version of your PC. There was (at the time) no selectable value for Win 7, but there was a value for Win XP SP3, which worked just fine. Garmin seem to be a little tardy in updating drivers , in response to changes in OS versions 9such as MS Windows).

Hope that helps. Cheers.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    When I try, on the new computer, to update the maps using MapSource, I get a message saying "There is a problem with this Garmin application." It asks for an error report. Whether I supply one or not, MapSource then closes without allowing the loading of the maps..
    without knowing any more than this, it sounds like bad memory access issue with windows.

Or file permission access.

Uninstall it *completely* then scrub the registry (programs available, just make sure they're not more spam "little registry cleaner" was good back in xp)

then LOG IN as an admin,
    NOT just in your user account and elevate priviledges to install.
    You *may* get to the same point by right clicking setup.exe and "run as admin"
    but fucked if i know.

Install as admin, click an option to make available for all users.

Find the folders it created and check their permissions, "users" should be in there, you can also add your login singularly, through a rather convoluted method.

Should *should* work.

But then. Windows doesnt, so.

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post

But then. Windows doesnt, so.
    Exactly...
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    Quote Originally Posted by Viking01 View Post
    Hi,
    Someone more knowledgeable than me will be along soon to help you, but in the interim, something to check. I had a similar issue after having changed machines , shifting from Win XP to Win 7 Pro in the process. Found that after much web forum search, MapSource v6.5.11 was the last 'stable' version. If you go to the Garmin home website and do a search, there should be a webpage with a list of allowable versions for download.

The other issue I had was that within mapSource, there is a parameter setting (can't find it at the moment) that allows you to specify the OS version of your PC. There was (at the time) no selectable value for Win 7, but there was a value for Win XP SP3, which worked just fine. Garmin seem to be a little tardy in updating drivers , in response to changes in OS versions 9such as MS Windows).

Hope that helps. Cheers.

Well, when I used the old computer this morning, I had to download the latest version of MapSource which worked fine in the old machine. (Which runs that 'orrible Vista thingy...

I will look for the parameter setting and have a play.

Incidentally, I seem to have sorted using Basecamp. The order you do things is a little different from the mapsource method. Got that from the nzopengps forums.

Thanks for both replies.

Bike
    I Ride No More
    Well, when I used the old computer this morning, I had to download the latest version of MapSource which worked fine in the old machine. (Which runs that 'orrible Vista thingy...

I will look for the parameter setting and have a play.

Incidentally, I seem to have sorted using Basecamp. The order you do things is a little different from the mapsource method. Got that from the nzopengps forums.

Thanks for both replies.
    Morning,
    Good to hear that the latst version of MapSource is also working on your old machine. Not sure whether your comment meant that you could now do a map upload to your GPS ?

Anyway, out of curiosity, (i) what version of MapSource are you now running (ii) what OS version are you running on your PC (from which you are now doing map upload) ? Cheers

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    Quote Originally Posted by Viking01 View Post
    Morning,
    Good to hear that the latst version of MapSource is also working on your old machine. Not sure whether your comment meant that you could now do a map upload to your GPS ?

Anyway, out of curiosity, (i) what version of MapSource are you now running (ii) what OS version are you running on your PC (from which you are now doing map upload) ? Cheers

MapSource is version 6.16.3

Computer (the new one) is running W7 64bit. Home Premium I think it's called, not the pro version.

I updated the Garmin maps using BaseCamp. Easy when you know how.

I cannot get a route to load into the Zumo 220 though, no matter what software I use. I am pretty sure it is a fault in the Zumo itself. I can't get anything to load into "My Data." Been like that for several years now. Useless junk...

Bike
    I Ride No More
    MapSource is version 6.16.3

Computer (the new one) is running W7 64bit. Home Premium I think it's called, not the pro version.

I updated the Garmin maps using BaseCamp. Easy when you know how.

I cannot get a route to load into the Zumo 220 though, no matter what software I use. I am pretty sure it is a fault in the Zumo itself. I can't get anything to load into "My Data." Been like that for several years now. Useless junk...
    Hi,
    It seems like you have been able to get both MapSource and BaseCamp working for yourself, so it sounds like the remaining step is now upload of the maps to your GPS. I have an old Garmin 62CSX (not a Zumo), so I can't comment on the operation of your GPS.

Anyway, a little story what ended up being the problem in my case. I didn't mention it earlier on purpose.

When I last tried loading of maps to my Garmin 62CSx some 6 months ago, it took me a while to get the PC software side sorted out (to a point where I felt confident that the PC software and drivers were all functional). But still, I would get the same Garmin error as you - which then led me to suspect it was a connectivity problem.

I switched data cables (PC to GPS) and still no joy. After further considerable searching and reading of forums, one contributor happened to post an article explaining seemingly the same problem as me (and with some photos).

It turned out that within the GPS itself, there were some tensioned copper clips which maintained connection for the microUSB data outlet. The clips had lost their tension over time (lost contact), and as a result, the PC just would not register that there was a GPS connected - and so map upload would time out within MapSource. After I had re-tensioned the copper clips and then retried map upload to the GPS, all then worked fine. I have been able to successfully upload OpenSource maps to my GPS since.

So what I'm saying: Maybe get out your set of small screw drivers, open up the back of the GPS, and have a look inside. Make sure that all connectors are clean (no corrosion), and any spring clips appear to be tensioned OK (especially around the area where the data cable plugs into the GPS). It may be a physical problem, and not a software problem. Cheers.

================================
    P.S. If you are still having no joy - and the data cables and the internal connections of the GPS seem to be intact, you could try a firmware upgrade e.g.
    http://www.tramsoft.ch/gps/garmin_zu...grades_en.html
    You would have to download the WebUpdater software in order to apply the firmware update.

Thread Information