Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Norton Dominator SS

Bike
    Roadstar 1600 & Royal Star Venture
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
    I can only think of two.
    Pffff the motor 2 valve is now the longest running engine in production, HD changed with the EVO in the 80's.
    Mind you, have to admit as much as I have a huge soft spot for Guzzi's, that Thruxton looks damn sexy, if I decide to go back to a big twin???
    If the road to hell is paved with good intentions; and a man is judged by his deeds and his actions, why say it's the thought that counts? -GrayWolf

Bike
    Norton

My new baffles

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9128.JPG 
Views:	68 
Size:	50.6 KB 
ID:	320600Click image for larger version. 

ID:	320600Click image for larger version. 

ID:	320600

Bike
    2016 Norton Dominator SS
    Nice, how does it sound in comparison? Mine is currently getting a new system fabricated, essentially a replica of the megaphones but retaining the O2 sensors and improving the ground clearance a bit. Should be ready in a couple of days.

Bike
    motocompo

Bike
    2016 Norton Dominator SS
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post

Nice - big update coming tomorrow... There's been some downs and some up's...

Bike
    2016 Norton Dominator SS
    A lot and nothing has happened over the past month or so...

At the beginning of March the bike went in for its first service. I'd been told this would take a few hours and since I was travelling up from Pukekohe to the North Shore it made sense to hang around. Unfortunately this was based on an assumption by the service department, an assumption that was immediately proven wrong by the Norton technician who said it would take at least a day since the head had to be re-torqued and this could only happen when the engine was stone cold. Bugger, missus phoned, negotiations take place which end up costing me an expensive lunch at the waterfront. Got a mate to drop me off the following week and rode her back to Pukekohe.

Pull up at work and am immediately engulfed in a cloud of smoke.

Oil is leaking from the airbox. CycleSpot is called and they come down to pick the bike up the following day. This is a known issue, something to do with the crankcase breather arrangement. I'd assumed it had been sorted by now but clearly not (and odd I'd had no issues up to this point). CycleSpot inform me there is a fix from Norton and it's been ordered. Two weeks go by and I've had enough of waiting. So I decide to try and get something positive from the situation. I get CycleSpot to transport the bike to Peter at Custom Chambers in East Tamaki to get a custom exhaust system fabricated. I don't like the stock system both for looks and noise. The megaphones are just stupidly loud. I ask Peter to fabricate a replica of the megaphones but with enough baffling to sound good without pissing everyone off. I also want to retain the O2 sensors to help with part throttle fuelling - the factory megaphones have no O2 sensor bungs.

O2 sensors nicely hidden from view.

The finished product.

Shot a quick vid - note, the camera mic picks up to much engine noise it sounds way better in real life.

I haven't heard a peep from CycleSpot all this time, but my gaze is now very much turning in their direction...

More to follow...
    Last edited by iwilson; 11th April 2016 at 16:58. Reason: Change picture

Bike
    motocompo
    How awfully quaint, re torquing a head.
    Great looking system though, well done.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Thats a really nice set of pipes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    bandit
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    Thats a really nice set of pipes.
    Yes ...

(+ 10 fucking characters)
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    2016 Norton Dominator SS
    Anyone played around with a GoPro on their bike? Video is fine but the audio is utter shite. Clearly need an external mic, have ordered a GoPro external mic adapter will play around with it next week.

Mucked around with it today.

Bike
    2016 Norton Dominator SS
    I took the bike up today to Brett Roberts at B.R.M well known in the community for tuning. There was a couple of reasons I wanted to do this:

• Ensure the air fuel ratio (AFR) was within safe limits.
    • Compare the megaphones to the stock system.

Due to the prevalence of modern computer controlled engine management systems there is very little you can do other than observe without spending large amounts of money. I know most of you are up to speed technically but for those who are not - the ECU controls fueling via two methods.

• Closed loop - using data from the O2 sensor/s to constantly adjust the AFR to hit a programmed target. Mostly at part throttle steady state throttle settings.
    • Open loop - generally at wide open throttle positions, the ECU relies on pre-programmed fuel maps. It is operating blind, with the fuel/ignition map developed around a certain intake/exhaust configuration.

By changing from the stock pipes to the megaphones the AFR would be affected in open loop conditions and it was important for me to ensure that the engine was still operating within safe limits. Some may be surprised to hear that the megaphones were down 4hp compared to the stock system - no doubt this is gutting for all the backyard tuners who think louder must be faster lol. Although it was slightly higher in the mid-range. This all comes down the fuel and ignition maps within the ECU. The bike runs a bit richer with the megaphones at the top end and therefore produces less power. Lower down the fuelling is a little more optimum for the megaphones. With access to the ECU it would be relatively simple to alter the mapping to suit the new megaphones and probably gain another 10hp or so. Manufacturers are generally conservative when developing maps for obvious reasons. The numbers below are at the wheel so add on approx. 12% to get a flywheel number.

Anyway here's a quick edited video of some of today's action (we did three runs on each exhaust system).

HP vs. Torque curve

HP vs. AFR curve

Bike
    2016 norton dominator ss
    Hello yestarday I finally got my Dominator ss #72 and I have the mega phones installed and the sound level is too much for me,I also lost torque.

Oem exhaust with cats are horrible for this great bike,so I just found this threat and it was very usefull for me !

Now I know I have to install a db killer or baffle and also reconect the lambda sensors.

I will do several mods to this bike but this issue is just ridiculous and I have to solve it asap.

Cant believe nowbody has a super nice inox perf exh ready to install to offer for sale.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries

Bike
    2016 Norton Dominator SS
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Not me! I know the owner, I think he's been tempted back to the 'Red side', after a ride on the new 959.

Quote Originally Posted by Ssr View Post

Cant believe nowbody has a super nice inox perf exh ready to install to offer for sale.
    Not enough bikes to justify an aftermarket supplier being interested. I'm getting the megaphone map installed this week. There's no guarantee that the O2 sensors will work since the factory megaphones don't have them installed by default but I'll find out soon enough.

Bike
    2016 norton dominator ss
    How can I reflash my ecu?

Thread Information