Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Real top speed for a Yamaha FZX250 Zeal?

Bike
    '09 Bandit 1250s
    Quote Originally Posted by Madness View Post
    What oil did you run?
    It's not what oil you run that matters, it's how much you run.

If you only put half of the oil in, the oil doesn't slow the pistons down and it actually decreases friction and you go faster. With only half of the oil, you will easily get 200km/h.

Bike
    TF125
    Quote Originally Posted by haydes55 View Post

If you only put half of the oil in, the oil doesn't slow the pistons down and it actually decreases friction and you go faster. With only half of the oil, you will easily get 200km/h.
    That's just plain risky. Half the oil can lead to catastrophic engine failure, especially at full-tit. That's why you're better off using a high quality vegetable or olive oil. The lighter weight gives the engine a higher co-efficient of friction, allowing an extra couple of thousand RPM past redline.

Stop giving people shit advice dude.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Full synthetic motorcycle oil is good for 5% additional power thus speed. You have to do a change and another change though to flush out the power robbing mineral oil.

A front mudguard on that bike slows it a bit at max speed - high velocity air under the guard slightly lifting the front - ditch it for high speed runs.

What size are you? if you weight 15kg more than you mate the poor engine is hauling your arse around - have you been circumcised? This can reduce a bit of weight, as can a hair cut and man-scape.

When I was racing at Bonneville I had a preference for shaving my testicles the morning of the speed run. Initially it was to reduce weight (cut finger and toe nails too) but after a while it kind of became a good luck thing. I can honestly say I never crashed the bikes when I had shaven balls.

There was this Italian guy who would race in the same class - he went as far as emptying his balls pre-race if you get my drift. Very funny fella despite the language barrier - he always claimed before a race he knew he would have a happy ending.

Bike
    Yamaha Fzx 250 Zeal, Suzuki Fxr 150
    Only reason why I ask is because the chain came off my fxr 150 and damaged my bike to the point of writing it off and the only option I have is to get this bike from a dealer *yamaha zeal 250* and use my write off money from the fxr 150 as the deposit then a few hundred for the on road costs and then weekly payments. I ask because my fxr could go 140-150max and that was on perfect condtions, most of the time i had ALOT of trouble over taking people on the high way and if im buying a 250 inline 4 id like the power to at least over take cars on highways with out having to duck down like I did on my 150. I'm only 5'8 and 62kg. Iv seen on youtube there are no top speed videos and everyone seems to let off the gas at 120kmph even though it was still climbing with somewhat ease. just dont understand how a bike with 40hp and 26nm of torque and only weighs 145kg dry can do only 140. the 40hp model of the bandit which has the same hp and torque pretty much and same sort of weight can do 170 easy.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by atom608 View Post
    Only reason why I ask is because the chain came off my fxr 150 and damaged my bike to the point of writing it off and the only option I have is to get this bike from a dealer *yamaha zeal 250* and use my write off money from the fxr 150 as the deposit then a few hundred for the on road costs and then weekly payments. I ask because my fxr could go 140-150max and that was on perfect condtions, most of the time i had ALOT of trouble over taking people on the high way and if im buying a 250 inline 4 id like the power to at least over take cars on highways with out having to duck down like I did on my 150. I'm only 5'8 and 62kg. Iv seen on youtube there are no top speed videos and everyone seems to let off the gas at 120kmph even though it was still climbing with somewhat ease. just dont understand how a bike with 40hp and 26nm of torque and only weighs 145kg dry can do only 140. the 40hp model of the bandit which has the same hp and torque pretty much and same sort of weight can do 170 easy.
    Your FXR was not going 140-150, ever, it just had a very optimistic speedo. At that sort of actual speed you're going to be flying past almost everyone on NZ roads. A Zeal 250 will be much faster than your FXR. A Bandit 250 will not be noticeably faster than a Zeal, it definitely won't do 170 "easy".

That said, what possible circumstances give you the "only option" of buying a Zeal? Can't you just take the payout from your insurance and go shopping within whatever budget you have?

Bike
    My fxr was in absolute shit condition from the previous owner and the guy from my insurance company said id be getting around 550-650$ in hand after the excess taken out and the zeal is $4,000 from the dealer plus 500$ ORC but i think I can get them down a few hundred because its been sitting there for a near half a year. plan is take the pay out and a few weeks pay and pay the 25% deposit which is $1000 or less depending if I can get anything off the price and then weekly payments for 3 years. the zeal is their only 250 bike for that price, its the chepeast and most powerful learners bike they have at the store so its either I get the zeal which is the sort of bike im after because im not really into having farrings because they just add $20 onto the monthly premiums or I keep my fxr 150, pay $250 for new sprockets and a chain and then a few weeks later have something else break on it again and then il be in the same position and I NEED a more powerful bike because I do regular trips upto hastings from wellington so having a nice upright seating potion would be nice.

Bike
    VFR400, Frankenbucket

Manxkiwi, a friend of mine from the IOM says that some of the top TT racers actually run less oil in their bikes than stock to save weight.
    Can't find anything online to back this up but Manxkiwi is a clue'd up chap and engineer, so he's probably correct.

That said, I would not endorse this method .

I have raced against and on FXR buckets on the Ruapuna full track, as well as owned one stock as my first bike.
    There is no way in heck a stock FXR would hit 150. I think I hit 150 on the speedo once on my FXR I had as a first bike, but I would say that would be closer to 125kmph IRL, in the process of hitting that speed the carb drain screw rattled out and I ended up stranded on the side of the road in the Coromandel bodging up a fix for it, not fun having fuel pissing out of a bike

But yeah, just buy the bike, a 250 will have less difficulty overtaking than a 150, there is no replacement for displacement. Your stock FXR would have been putting out a max of 11hp atw I would think, the 250 is def gunna be putting out more than that.

What is happening with your FXR out of interest?

Bike
    Yeah well mine said 153 on the speedo and it was bouncing off the rev limiter in gear 6 and I know the speedos are retarded, 58kmph on the speedo is exactly 50 when i go past those road side radar boxes and im not sure if its off by that many kmph set or its off by a % so the higher speed I go the more its off.

Chain came off on the high way one night coming back from work, it was tightened and lubed the day before although it snapped at the master link and shot off into the back of my tail farrings and took a huge chunk out of it and munted up the front sprocket and and a few teeth on the rear one. insurance wont pay out for the chain/sprocket but they would pay out on the tail only problem is that the tail is very rare and they would have to paint it to match my bike which is so expensive that my bike would get written off so I decided to get it written off and put a week or 2 pay into a bike from a dealer, I got screwed over when I bought this fxr. Problem after problem and hundreds of dollars going into fixing it and something every week or so pops up so I decided I just was tired of it and to get a bigger bike. the bike is now going through the process of getting its pre accident value from 2 independent dealers

Bike
    '09 Bandit 1250s
    By the sounds of it, your speedo is out by 16% which makes your real top speed closer to 128km/h

Bike
    By the sounds of it, your speedo is out by 16% which makes your real top speed closer to 128km/h
    thats honestly quite depressing.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Nah. That's just wee bikes for ya. Personally, I like them.

Ummm, question. Why are you so keen on a 250 when you can get a bigger capacity LAMS bike?
    Manopausal.

Bike
    VFR400, Frankenbucket
    It's a 150cc dude. There are some good power mods to get more grunt out of them, but that's what the nutty bucket racers like to do: Oversized piston, cams, cdi, bigger carb and you can double the HP output. But if it's a road bike you are better off getting something bigger, as you are planning to do.
    You should buy it back off the insurance company and build it up as a bucket, great bucket racing scene in Welly!

But to sum up, the Yamaha will be better at overtaking than your FXR. Just won't be quite as much fun in the twisties.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    Nah. That's just wee bikes for ya. Personally, I like them.

Ummm, question. Why are you so keen on a 250 when you can get a bigger capacity LAMS bike?
    I can only afford around a 4 grand bike because of the deposit/weekly payments and the only thing they have at the dealer is a zeal and im a big fan of naked inline 4s so yeah, iv had 3 speeding tickets in the past half year just on my fxr 150. a $400 on xmas day and a $170 on new years so I think id get my self in a bit too much trouble if I had a 600 not to mention the insurance price for it, I get shit pay and shit hours so I need to find a cheapish bike to insure and the zeal is pretty cheap. Plus whats the point of buying a 600 and paying all that money and the extra insurance if its limited? yes more torque everywhere but its still limited and if I were to get one id find a way to take the limiter off even if it means remapping the ECU or taking a throttle restrictor off and that would definitely get me into alot of trouble

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Autech View Post
    It's a 150cc dude. There are some good power mods to get more grunt out of them, but that's what the nutty bucket racers like to do: Oversized piston, cams, cdi, bigger carb and you can double the HP output. But if it's a road bike you are better off getting something bigger, as you are planning to do.
    You should buy it back off the insurance company and build it up as a bucket, great bucket racing scene in Welly!

But to sum up, the Yamaha will be better at overtaking than your FXR. Just won't be quite as much fun in the twisties.
    I would do it up a bit and sell it but that means id have to wait about 3 months to get a bike and do the work on it my self and im fed up with it honestly, id rather lose a few hundred and just get rid of it now to be honest so i can get a bike in a week or 2.

Bike
    S1000RR
    Not sure about Zeal but FXR's digital speedometer is notorious for being a tad optimistic.

And don't worry too much about top end power. My bike also bounces on the redline and "runs out of puff" around 150kph mark too. It's normal. When that happens I simply shift up to 2nd gear.

If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

Thread Information