Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Real top speed for a Yamaha FZX250 Zeal?

Bike
    Yamaha Fzx 250 Zeal, Suzuki Fxr 150
    Quote Originally Posted by EJK View Post
    Not sure about Zeal but FXR's digital speedometer is notorious for being a tad optimistic.

And don't worry too much about top end power. My bike also bounces on the redline and "runs out of puff" around 150kph mark too. It's normal. When that happens I simply shift up to 2nd gear.
    its honestly amazing how a s1000rr is faster in 1st gear than my fxr was maxed out rev limiting in 6th. its honestly hard to comprehend how fast that is from my place.

Bike
    VFR400, Frankenbucket
    Quote Originally Posted by atom608 View Post
    its honestly amazing how a s1000rr is faster in 1st gear than my fxr was maxed out rev limiting in 6th. its honestly hard to comprehend how fast that is from my place.
    So fast that little bits of poo escape your anus from time to time.

Bike
    A
    Not unusual for big bikes to go stupidly fast in low gears. Check out www.gearingcommander.com if you want a laugh at how fast some bikes are geared. My Busa tops out at over 200 in 3rd, and that feels insane even now.

Bike
    Just went to red barron today and took it for a test spin, all the reviews say 140, but I got it up to 160 with no effort, not ducking down or anything and it was still going i just had to let off because of a corner coming up but honestly if I ducked down I could see it going to 170 or a bit more which is alot higher than what the reviews say. and the guy said the bike was stitting there for a while too with old fuel and it still was running pretty good so I ended up purchasing it today and I should be getting it on monday or tuesday. I have ridden a FZR 250 and this zeal has ALOT more low down torque than my friends fzr 250 but the top end is eh for a inline 4 but the midrange feels the same on it as the fzr just without the top end. looks alot better in person to and the guy gave me a great deal on it. No more days of ducking down on my fxr 150 just to go 100 in a head wind.

someone might think Im an idiot for going that fast on a dealer bike but honestly how else are you meant to see if its the right bike for you if you dont wring it out? you have to see what your money is getting you.

Bike
    VFR400, Frankenbucket
    Not sure why your are obsessed with top speed. How did it handle? Does it have good brakes? Ergonomics suit your frame? Etc etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
    S1000RR
    Just went to red barron today and took it for a test spin, all the reviews say 140, but I got it up to 160 with no effort, not ducking down or anything and it was still going i just had to let off because of a corner coming up but honestly if I ducked down I could see it going to 170 or a bit more which is alot higher than what the reviews say. and the guy said the bike was stitting there for a while too with old fuel and it still was running pretty good so I ended up purchasing it today and I should be getting it on monday or tuesday. I have ridden a FZR 250 and this zeal has ALOT more low down torque than my friends fzr 250 but the top end is eh for a inline 4 but the midrange feels the same on it as the fzr just without the top end. looks alot better in person to and the guy gave me a great deal on it. No more days of ducking down on my fxr 150 just to go 100 in a head wind.

someone might think Im an idiot for going that fast on a dealer bike but honestly how else are you meant to see if its the right bike for you if you dont wring it out? you have to see what your money is getting you.
    Enjoy your new bike

If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Autech View Post
    Not sure why your are obsessed with top speed. How did it handle? Does it have good brakes? Ergonomics suit your frame? Etc etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    because if it could only go 140 tops then it probably starts to slow down alot around 120 and if it could go say 180 for example then it would start to accelerate slower at about 160, a higher speed and the reason why that is important to me is because I do alot of long trips like 300km trips and getting stuck behind cars in a headwind and not being able to over take because my fxr 150 only tops out 110kmph in a headwind if im lucky so if i know a bike can do 180 then it will have alot of extra power I can use for over taking. not to mention i want to be able to sit at 100-110kmph for a long time no matter the wind conditions without the engine straining like on the fxr so having a top speed of 170-or 180 will give it alot of head space.

suspension was fine not too hard not too soft for me even though the reviews say its soft as shit although I am 62kg so that probably has something to do with it. Handles fine although I was going around a curvy road which I can take at 80kmph on my fxr with the pegs nearly scrapping and I took that same corner on the zeal at about 50 and the back wheel slipped out about half a meter then gained traction again and then I stopped and realized the back tire was new so yeah... my bad. not sure about the upright position yet, alot more wind noise it seems. being a bit more upright I think it will be better for the long 300km trips I do.

back brake is alot better than my fxr but the front is a bit eh, its good but it doesn't bite it just sort of rubs I guess? and there wasnt much feedback in the front brake either but I have a feeling that the front brake pads are new. 735mm seat height which is good for my height of 173cm. thought id hate having wide high bars but the bike seems to have aftermarket anodized red bars which go with the red paint job so it looks cool and they actually were really comfortable if not perfect, were not too ride or narrow unlike the z300 I ridden and it felt like my hands were way off on the sides on that because those bars felt wide but yeah dont really know how it handles yet because I had to take it easy after I realized it had new tires.

I will probably give it a indepth review after a few weeks of riding.

Bike
    1995 Yamaha Zeal (FZX250) - 40 HP
    Iv read that it only goes about 140kmph or in a review it says "runs out of puff" at 140. reason why I ask is because the spec sites say it has 40hp and 26nm of torque. and I dont understand how a bike with that spec can only go 140 when it can reach 100 in 2nd gear. my fxr 150 "runs out of puff" at 100-110 but it will still make its way upto 140-150 on the speedometer if you give it enough time and i was wondering if there is any zeal owners that can say the real top speed of it?
    Even though my 1995 model Yamaha FZX250 Zeal has had an almost flat rear tire since I've owned it (I've just got the rear tire fixed) I got mine up to 150 km/h in 6th going down a somewhat steep hill on my local highway. I know I could've gone faster down that hill, I just wasn't game enough with the rear tire being almost flat at the time (I got to 150 km/h about half way down the hill), and also there is a speed camera just past the bottom of the hill too. But on a relatively flat road, I got it up to 130 km/h before it stops accelerating in 6th @ 9,000 rpm (redline @ 15,000 rpm). I've tried many times to get it up mast 130 in 6th on a flat surface, but with no luck. So far I've worked out at what speed I can do in 1st (60 km/h), 2nd (90 km/h) and 3rd (110 km/h) but my zeal's rev gauge won't go past 14,500 rpm.

Thread Information