Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: NZTA response to question about wire rope barriers.

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by nodrog View Post
    sorry, I forgot my last name was google.

try Bruno or sepang.
    I wasn't trying to be smart, I asked about Nth Is so I could ride there and see what you meant about run off etc versus hard barriers and it would give me an excuse to ride

No Worries - I will choose Manfield and have a look for myself and compare against Taupo (its been too long since I was on Puke).

Keen on what people say about barriers so the race track is a perfect place to see them in action

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nodrog View Post

try Bruno or sepang.
    Who is this Bruno of whom you speak?
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    The trade off being we will be paying even higher registration or fuel tax with any safety improvements
    do you mean we 'the motorcyclist' or we the taxpayers

I have often wondered how much a death costs versus a person who is unable to return to society due to accident
    how much is safety worth? and are we prepared to pay for it?

surely if 'safety' for motorcyclist benefits other road users then we should all pay.
    the reduction in deaths and harm would offset the cost of the safety improvements
    maybe I should look in the ACC thread

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    The Piedmontese cousin of the Czech branch of the family??

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Yeah I couldn't find that track either

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    CB1300
    Brno perhaps.

Sent via tapatalk.

Bike
    CB1300

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I think we motorists as opposed to taxpayers in general are the ones lumped with paying for roading improvements which is only fair as not everyone drives or rides. As an example I think petrol tax went up some years back to pay for improved Auckland roads.
    I doubt just Akl roads, there have been improvements all over, according to the NZTA media propaganda

Akl didn't need just improvements to existing roads it needed to implement roads which have long been on the back burner....

Some parts of Akl are still a major pain to get around - they were never design to have such heavy traffic use.

Akl is a special case, it appears that no one really planned to have a major public transport system like some Aussie/Euro cities because no one wanted to pay for it.

and we have some WRB to boot.

Glad to see you included car users in your definition of who would pay rather than just motorcyclists

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by eldog View Post
    I wasn't trying to be smart, I asked about Nth Is so I could ride there and see what you meant about run off etc versus hard barriers and it would give me an excuse to ride

No Worries - I will choose Manfield and have a look for myself and compare against Taupo (its been too long since I was on Puke).

Keen on what people say about barriers so the race track is a perfect place to see them in action
    The trouble with this idea is that too many tracks are now catering for the worst case scenario - trucks and V8's...Compared to only a few years back, barriers have moved closer to the edge of the tracks - and got bigger/heavier. I'd never consider manfield's front straight safe for bikes either. No where to get out of the way as several fatalities have shown.

On the other hand heard something on the radio today to the effect that NZTA are going to put up something to pad the posts on the cheesecutter barriers...Amazing.

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    The trouble with this idea is that too many tracks are now catering for the worst case scenario - trucks and V8's...Compared to only a few years back, barriers have moved closer to the edge of the tracks - and got bigger/heavier. I'd never consider manfield's front straight safe for bikes either. No where to get out of the way as several fatalities have shown.

On the other hand heard something on the radio today to the effect that NZTA are going to put up something to pad the posts on the cheesecutter barriers...Amazing.
    I understand this, catering for such a huge range of different vehicles would be difficult, almost want to be able to move barriers etc for each race type. POP UP/FOLD DOWN depending on race type

I only suggested Manfield because I have never been there. Fatalities indicate that something needs to be done.

I went to a Taupo meeting a few years back, motorbikes, trucks, cars, drifting one after the other.
    It was OK, the trucks were a disappointment. I could see the track while it suited the mbikes and smaller cars didn't really suit the larger vehicles.

Interesting you heard about padding wire barriers posts - then there must be something in it.
    They wouldn't be doing anything if they didn't NEED to.
    my suggestion about spanning between each post with a thinish panel - so people wouldn't be caught/mangled not such a bad idea.
    I would think a panel would stop entanglement better than a pad

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    ... Interesting you heard about padding wire barriers posts - then there must be something in it.
    They wouldn't be doing anything if they didn't NEED to. My suggestion about spanning between each post with a thin-ish panel - so people wouldn't be caught/mangled not such a bad idea.
    Have a read of FEMA's report: FEMA - New Standards For Road Restraint Systems for Motorcyclists - 2012

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    I doubt just Akl roads,
    There was an extra tax (10c per litre?) added to the price of gas soley for Auckland roading. People in Auckland may have forgotten, or may not have been paying attention, but everybody else took note. The introduction of an extra tax just for Auckland's benefit was just as popular as you would expect.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    my suggestion about spanning between each post with a thinish panel - so people wouldn't be caught/mangled not such a bad idea.
    Nah. Some countries use padding on the posts. These must be countries who are concerned for the welfare of their citizens, unlike NZ. We don't need to reinvent the wheel, we just need to adopt the existing best practice.

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Nah. Some countries use padding on the posts. These must be countries who are concerned for the welfare of their citizens, unlike NZ. We don't need to reinvent the wheel, we just need to adopt the existing best practice.
    I didn't think of the petrol tax at the time. I thought petrol used to be the same price all across the country and then it changed to reflect actual cost of transport etc (I thought this was good at first but on reflection prefer one cost across NZ) Maybe I am wrong I haven't really looked into it.

I was just thinking that a lot of 'current transport solutions' have been on the books for ages. Like Transmission gully in Welly. In AKL you will see the Western mway being raised - a good example of how things are done here - cheap as original (to get job done) then 10 years later do major 'improvements'. Wait for a few years and see what the plans are for the Victoria flyover.

Would agree, we need to at least adopt best practise.

but we are Kiwis - an inventive lot - why can't WE be world leaders..... Instead of just sheep following someone else. For transport it seems Victoria Australia.

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    Mine
    There was an extra tax (10c per litre?) added to the price of gas soley for Auckland roading. People in Auckland may have forgotten, or may not have been paying attention, but everybody else took note. The introduction of an extra tax just for Auckland's benefit was just as popular as you would expect.
    I'd love to see the Auckland turned into it's own economic entity i.e. ALL tax from Auckland stays in Auckland. Then we'd know for sure who support who.

And just for the record, I may still work in Auckland but I don't reside within it's boundaries.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

Thread Information