Thread: Custom 1987 GSX 400

Bike
    '95 SUZUKI GSF 250 V2

Custom 1987 GSX 400

Hi, I have purchased a 1987 GSX400E, frame number starts GK51C. It needs a bit of TLC so I just want to get it back on the road for now, and hope to customise it further after I get it road legal. The original forks are buggered. What I want to do is replace the whole front end with something that has twin discs. Does anyone have any advice of things that I need to watch out for? I know to get similar length and same diameter, but I've never done any suspension work so don't really know what I'm doing. Any help much appreciated! Cheers.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Banni View Post
    Hi, I have purchased a 1987 GSX400E, frame number starts GK51C. It needs a bit of TLC so I just want to get it back on the road for now, and hope to customise it further after I get it road legal. The original forks are buggered. What I want to do is replace the whole front end with something that has twin discs. Does anyone have any advice of things that I need to watch out for? I know to get similar length and same diameter, but I've never done any suspension work so don't really know what I'm doing. Any help much appreciated! Cheers.
    Check if the originals can be rebuilt with modern springs ...

But if you choose the replacement route with later/other model forks ...

Check diameter of the axle on the replacement forks ...

Check the inner gap between the forks at the axle height ... although this may be altered with different sized spacers.

Check mountings for your mudguard are same/similar ...

You may need to look at complete forks-wheel assembly ... (try to find one with similar/same rim pattern/type)
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Get a whole front end from something else, and have the steering stem pressed out of yours and put in the new one. Triple clamps and all.

Piece of piss to do, might need to have a new stem spun up to get the press fitting size right and to accept the right bearings for your frame. But it's not hard or expensive.

Bike
    VFR400, Frankenbucket
    The ZXR400 front end is a neat bit of kit from what I hear, similar generation would just depend on height etc as to whether it would work on your GSXR, which I'm told has bollocks suspension to begin with. Go with Drew's method, never done it meself but have friend's who have built some awesome handling machines by bolting on a new front end.

Bike
    Exercycle
    I'll only post this in one of the threads you've started.

DON"T invest too much time and money in this bike. I can guarantee the head will already be cracked - they all do it, sir - between the plug hole and the ex valve seats.
    The time to park it and part it out is when it puffs smoke out beside one plug....

Thread Information