Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Terrible Experience Motorcycles

Bike
    R1200GSA
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkH View Post
    TBH I can't see what the dealer needs to respond to. As mentioned, the issue was the assumption.

The dealer sells a bike, they are not offering free services, they do a service and charge for it.
    Where is the need to speak to the dealer, what did the dealer do wrong?
    Not a single unexpected thing happened here.
    What the hell is the issue?
    thats a fair point, not sure of the reasons from others but from my own perspective I was thinking that there is little point in complaining on this forum if the dealer in question has not been made aware of the OPs issue. Like you the dealer probably thinks its the OP not understanding how things work but have they had the opportunity to explain that to the OP?
    Here is another instance, on another thread I had reason to say I was ticked off about an interaction with a certain dealer. I went back to the owner and made it clear why I was annoyed. Nothing changed, nothing was offered, nothing was actually expected on my part other than being heard and wanting to hear their perspective. The owner basically said, thanks for bringing this to my attention, we want to offer the best service we can, you weren't happy about the approach taken, not much we can do about the the situation giving rise to the gripe (pricing on certain items) but we can think about how we deal to these situations in future. I felt better informed, they got to hear about my gripe from me and we talked it through. My take is that was a better outcome than me saying, "blah dealership didnt give me what I wanted they are c***ts , nobody should ever go near them again, does anyone else feel the same?" A, its not fair and B they (the dealer) seem to prefer this way of handling things.
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Bike
    2012 Yamaha WR 450. 2014 Beta 300RR 2t.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    He is obviously a guy who has never seen inside a computer to have his opinion. Computers on bikes are more exposed to the elements than in a car which will be a factor in how long they will last too.

Computers on bikes are sealed units, they are more exposed to the elements than car ones and are built with that in mind.
    Example would be my injected WR450 Yamaha. It can be ridden in deep water no problem, as long as it's not going in the air box, it doesn't bother the electrics or computer.
    flashg

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Only time will tell but when you look at the amount of electronic gear that is designed to be throw away today eg computers and modern bikes have computers do they not?
    Point of clarification, they're designed to last as a lifetime without servicing; which makes them unserviceable components. Designed to be throwaway is a different concept.

Btw, time has already told, it made mention of the fact you should shut the fuck up...
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Given the OP has not responded recently, I am presuming the initial service charge (which incidentally I thought was a good price ... is now forgiven and he is out there enjoying the fantastic bike he purchased. :-)

Computers - been on bikes for a long time and to be fair have proven to be pretty bloody reliable.

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    If they were designed to last a lifetime without servicing they would have a life time gurantee would they not? And if they are unserviceable it does make them throw away does it not?
    No, they would not (partial part, and ambiguity in duration). And no, it does not (throwaway denotes briefness of use before expiry).
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Only in your opinion. Maybe you will understand what I am on about if you get a bike with a computer or electronics that you can not get a part for once the technology becomes obsolite.
    Or you could find the electronic part costing more than your depreciated bike is worth.
    No, it's by definition.

Then you go to the wreckers, they have fucking heaps of that shit, possibly on account of it being designed to outlast the rest of the bike

Bike
    CB1300
    If they were designed to last a lifetime without servicing they would have a life time gurantee would they not? If they are unserviceable it does make them throw away does it not?
    More a FRU, or field replacable unit.
    Because it is either not safe or not cost effective to repair.

Bit like a light bulb. Just a bulb that under normal conditions will survive at least the first owner (given average ownership of 2 years / 50,000kms).
    Most units will last 10 plus years if no one interferes with them and if the power supplied is clean.

If you built the same processor to be user serviceable you would need a box about the size of a midi desktop pc somewhere on your bike.
    Because you made it user serviceable there would be a lot of chips on a Mainboard a CPU etc.

Oh dear, because we have gone user serviceable we now need to be able to cool various parts. Now we need airflow across the chips. How are we going to make that waterproof.

How about we just have a nice small set of chips that are small enough to use a plastic block as a heat sink that conveniently keeps the water out and is about the size of two packs of cigarettes?

A little more expensive to do the latter over the single purchase but over 10 years much cheaper and.far more practical.

Many parts are like that these days.

Sent via tapatalk.

Bike
    CB1300
    Only in your opinion. Maybe you will understand what I am on about if you get a bike with a computer or electronics that you can not get a part for once the technology becomes obsolite.
    Or you could find the electronic part costing more than your depreciated bike is worth.
    Most volume bikes have aftermarket options.
    Non volume bikes can have something wired up if you have the original to sacrifice...

Sent via tapatalk.

Bike
    CB1300
    If they were designed to last a lifetime without servicing they would have a life time gurantee would they not? If they are unserviceable it does make them throw away does it not?
    The lifetime of a vehicle is considered by most manufacturers to be 10 years.
    But you still only get a 1 or 2 year warrantee because there are so many variables that they have no control over.

Sent via tapatalk.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Well with having 3 bikes here, two of which are well over 100,000 ks and over 10 years old they all have original electronics.

Again you are wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    2015, Triumph Bonneville
    When some of us buy things we dont all like to find out there is hidden charges attached and with a car the profit margin would vary depending on if a special was being offered. I have never seen a new car advertied where in order to get a discount you must pay for any warranty service. I would much rather pay more for the bike than get charged for a warranty service and how would you know if you were being ripped off or not by the charge as its not something you can shop around with or DIY or your warranty becomes void.

Ha! So you would rather pay an extra $1000-$2000 for a bike than pay $100 - $200 first service. STUPID. Being ripped of?? Just ask for an estimate before you book in.....duh

Bike
    2015, Triumph Bonneville
    Quote Originally Posted by 98tls View Post
    Assumption is blah blah blah i guess mate,long time since ive bought a new bike myself though will add i would have assumed the same fwiw...least they could do i reckon.If indeed as someone suggested the labour cost is $100 an hour then fuck em there certainly not paying the guy doing the service a hundy an hour or nowhere near it,surely after selling a new bike they could suck up the 1st service the real cost being all up around a $100 inclusive of oil etc.

yeah yeah cause I guess they dont have to pay any rent, any training, any special tools, power, rates. Just straight into their pocket.....jeez you idiot. If you dont like...dont fucking buy a $35,000 bike

Bike
    2015, Triumph Bonneville
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Haggis View Post
    Went to pick my bike up from Experience Motorcycles in Kingsland today after it's 1st service, they charged me $229 for it, much to my amazement, I bought the bike brand new from them, 4weeks ago. I assumed wrongly it would be free of charge as any other bike or car I have bought brand new it has been. Is this normal? Has anybody else had this experience?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Pretty sure you got a massive discount on that bike, far more than the cost of that service....

Bike
    Nada

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    We have dealer workers on KB - they will know.
    Correct but it's far more fun reading this thread instead

Bike
    mutton dressed up as lamb and a 73 XL250
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonnie11 View Post
    yeah yeah cause I guess they dont have to pay any rent, any training, any special tools, power, rates. Just straight into their pocket.....jeez you idiot. If you dont like...dont fucking buy a $35,000 bike
    I know what they have to pay i worked in a dealership for 7 years,will say it again for the benefit of the blind its been a long time since ive bought a new bike.Fella if your prepared to pay $35,000 for a new bike and not expect your first service to be covered then your Xactly the fucking numpty bike shops all over NZ want to deal with,Go hard.
    Be the person your dog thinks you are...

Thread Information