Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drilling perspex?

Bike
    suzuki

Drilling perspex?

tried it many a time and have a new faring blank to cut and fit this time. common old hss drills have a sttep angle on them, I beleive there are other drill bits more suitable for this job, time to discuss folks, and who stocks them.

Bike
    motocompo
    Not sure about special drills, but the key to drilling Perspex is patience.
    If you push, it will crack, don't even use the weight of the drill, that will be too much.
    I usually tape the area to be drilled & drill through the tape to prevent any scratching around the hole.

Bike
    TF125
    Drop into PG2000 in Lorne Street, Te Aro and talk to Gunther.

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    https://www.drillstapsdies.co.nz/

I never bother with low rake drills though. With a bit of care you can grind a standard drill like the one half way down the page: http://www.bcae1.com/plexi.htm

Slow. Use CRC 556 or similar. Champher the edges.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    A fine step drill (non-spiral) should be, well, fine for that sort of job
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    CB1300
    The method I have used before is to just use a standard general purpose drill bit on low speed through masking tape and have someone else spray water on the tip as I went. But then I only had 2 holes to make.
    If I had more to make I might have blown the cobwebs off the wallet and got a specific bit as above.

Sent via tapatalk.

Bike
    a red heap
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    tried it many a time and have a new faring blank to cut and fit this time. common old hss drills have a sttep angle on them, I beleive there are other drill bits more suitable for this job, time to discuss folks, and who stocks them.
    Believe or not but old dull drill bits are better than brand new sharp drill bits on acrylics.

Bike
    less than I used to have
    Quote Originally Posted by nodrog View Post
    Believe or not but old dull drill bits are better than brand new sharp drill bits on acrylics.

...oi've driv a fucking shitload of holes in acrylics in the course of my daily slog and have never had a problem 'cos all my bits have been fucked forever so I will have to go with nodrog on this...bad hearing can also lead to teeth problems, did you know?...

Bike
    1990 Yamaha Virago XV1100
    I just use standard drill bits. The key to success is using a drill press - that way you can accurately control the slow feed, and most importantly prevent the bit from biting. Never had a problem yet.
    Can I believe the magic of your size... (The Shirelles)

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Thanks for the tips, chaps. EVERY time I have tried it I have split or cracked it. Brittle as fuck or something. Plus I am a munter.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    a red heap
    Quote Originally Posted by Virago View Post
    I just use standard drill bits. The key to success is using a drill press - that way you can accurately control the slow feed, and most importantly prevent the bit from biting. Never had a problem yet.
    The key to not getting fired from your job at a plastics company, is not to fuck around all day drilling a hole the slowest way possible.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Virago View Post
    it's a fairing blade, no fit in drill press, battery drill have several settings and often can be taped at a very slow speed, done plenty of this before but the internaughty is my friend when i want to learn a little other advice...

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ...I worked on a job where the only tools on the job site were a big hammer, a blunt rusty saw and a 4 gallon bucket of sperm oil...everything always seemed to fuck up but we never had to use them tools we had...thank fuck...

Bike
    77' CB750 Cafe Racer, 2009 Z750
    Sharp bits burrow in easily and take too much meat off and ends up in tears. Blunt countersink after pilot hole helps.
    I love the smell of twin V16's in the morning..

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by nodrog View Post
    The key to not getting fired from your job at a plastics company, is not to fuck With the boss, who has already figured out the slowest way possible.
    Fixed it . . . .

Thread Information