Thread: Recovery of corrupted video file help?

Bike
    Aprilia RS125

Recovery of corrupted video file help?

bit of a mouthful I know

Basically I have some footage on le drift which must have crapped out on said impact a couple weeks back.
    moreso for entertainment purposes, I wish to try to recover the footage (+ I wanna see how i stuffed up)

the raw data is there, just not able to do anything with it. Yet to consult google so may end up finding a solution relatively easily but meh!

Thanks in advance!

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    where is it? Hdd, sd, camera rom?
    What format? Was it being encoded as it was destroyed or is it a complete file?

Step one is clone the media twice. (linux dd) Work on one of the clones, if you break it, clone the clone and try again.

If you have the file headers, at least the start, hand it to vlc and stream the output to a file.

If the headers are fucked, you're going to need to get hex on it.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    and just personally, i wouldnt let ANY WINDOWS anywhere near it. Not even to chkdsk, certainly not to try reading/mounting it.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Number one, take a copy of that file, then mess with the copy of the file all you like, but do not do that on the original file.

Two, not my area of expertise at all, but I've got a piece of video which has a fraction of a second that's damaged. Whenever I tried to mess with the file it crashed about 5 different video editing software packages.

Even trying to cut out that piece tried my patience, so ultimately I gave up
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    Number one, take a copy of that file, then mess with the copy of the file all you like, but do not do that on the original file.

Two, not my area of expertise at all, but I've got a piece of video which has a fraction of a second that's damaged. Whenever I tried to mess with the file it crashed about 5 different video editing software packages.

Even trying to cut out that piece tried my patience, so ultimately I gave up
    ffmpeg. vlc.

is it avi? i believe even windows can safely rebuild their indexes.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    cloning is safer than copying

Thread Information