Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rz250r f1

Bike
    83 RZ350/85 RZ250R/84 RZ350R/84 RZ350K
    Blog Entries
    not to much of an update other than I have started on repairing and prepping fairings for paint, going to take a bit of time that one. The big news is the 84 has arrived to join the family.
    She's pretty much all there other than airbox and left chamber, frame is in better condition than the 85 was before I started, I suspect the crank maybe tired but won't know how bad till I pull it out, bore on 1st OS Pistons look almost new, need to clean up bores and check for damage and wear. Worst case is rebore.
    So the family is now 89 Intruder, 86 TZR 1KT, 85 RZ250RR F1, 84 RZ250RR F1 import, 87 CBX750 cafe project.
    Hmmmmm bit of an 80's theme going on here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	770.3 KB 
ID:	322431   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	19 
Size:	779.9 KB 
ID:	322432   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	22 
Size:	699.7 KB 
ID:	322433  

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Been a while since I've updated so here we go just to show things are still progressing.
    The garage is bloody cold at the moment and other things keep side tracking me but have managed to get a little done.
    Repairs of the fairing for the 85 is pretty much done and have finally got it all fitting correctly, was a pain in the ass trying to get the holes lined up with the mounts and have the fairing sitting straight.
    Now need start sanding, priming and blocking back but won't be painting till the weather warms up a little. Going to order the vinyl for the decals this week so Its there for when I need it and the vinyl cutter is in our heated hobby room so no excuses for not doing anything.

Have done a little with the 84 F1 also, frame stripped ready to go to sand blasting this week with any luck, as for the engine crank was completely stuffed but gear box all good so have fitted a good serviceable crank and new seals etc. Just waiting on rings to arrive top end can go on then will sit it aside till the rest of the bike is ready for it.

Also now have a third RZ, another NZ new F1 fitted with 84 tank and side plastics. Got it home cleaned the carbs gave her a kick and away she went not bad for sitting in a shed for 10 years. motor sounds ok good compression and rides fine so she's going to sit in the corner for now.
    May convert her into a red/black 84 with bikini fairing so will keep an eye out for the bits I need to do that.
    Also came with a lots of spare parts which will come I very handy.
    Cheers.

Views:	32 
Size:	775.5 KB 
ID:	323724   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	25 
Size:	798.9 KB 
ID:	323723   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	26 
Size:	652.2 KB 
ID:	323722   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	33 
Size:	779.7 KB 
ID:	323721  

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Good to read the update.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quick update time, the 84 RZ is rolling and for the first time in 20 odd years she runs, still needs lots of work but she's getting there slowly but she's been pushed aside again while I'm working on the 85.

Been busy last couple weeks doing a little on the 85, most of the painting done and decals cut and applied so she's starting to look the part and may even be able to get her booked in for compliance in a few weeks.

Views:	27 
Size:	747.9 KB 
ID:	324869   Click image for larger version. 

Size:	735.6 KB 
ID:	324870   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	44 
Size:	529.8 KB 
ID:	324868   Click image for larger version. 

Size:	679.8 KB 
ID:	324867   Click image for larger version. 

Size:	473.7 KB 
ID:	324866   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	27 
Size:	734.4 KB 
ID:	324865  

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Way cool pics. Looking forward to the nice day outside completion ones.

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    This is why its hard to find a good 2smoke. Someone owns them all. Nice work.
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ...all cool...you just carry on with your other shit...a real good story so far...thanks to other contributors for their input too...

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Yes indeed thanks for the comments nice to know I'm not talking to myself on here I do enough of that in the shed.

Theres still lots of old 2 smokes out there just trying to get the owners to part with one is as hard as finding a Politician that tells the truth.

Ok couldn't help myself and had to dummy fit the fairings, still a few jobs to do tho.

Thanks again.

Views:	51 
Size:	711.1 KB 
ID:	324886  

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Oh grumble grumble, those lower fairing bolts aren't standard and progrip didn't make grips for Yamaha until the late 80s.

So super just kidding.

Yeah often people will look at threads but not have anything to offer so stay silent.

Bike
    Enough that the car lives outside now.
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Oh grumble grumble, those lower fairing bolts aren't standard and progrip didn't make grips for Yamaha until the late 80s.

So super just kidding.

Yeah often people will look at threads but not have anything to offer so stay silent.
    Lol....I bought some OEM grips for a TZ Yamaha a couple of years ago and the replacement part was 47X prefix......RZ500!

I prefer medium compound Renthal myself but the Renthal hard is more like Yamaha OEM in colour and very close on pattern.

Don't you hate rivet counters!!! (so speaks a man who's Yamaha only has the gearbox, clutch cover, cylinders and heads and a couple of other misc parts and the rest of the WHOLE bike including crank cases, frame, forks etc are
    replica ...!)

Got a love a good RZ - the first 2 stroke road bike that scared me as a 17 year old, more so than my brother's GS1000S.

Bike
    Blog Entries

So super just kidding.

Yep not getting anything past you am I not worried tho as shes close enough to original for me and will soon be back on the road where she belongs which is the important thing, saved from certain death at a wreckers.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by malcy25 View Post
    Lol....I bought some OEM grips for a TZ Yamaha a couple of years ago and the replacement part was 47X prefix......RZ500!

I prefer medium compound Renthal myself but the Renthal hard is more like Yamaha OEM in colour and very close on pattern.

Don't you hate rivet counters!!! (so speaks a man who's Yamaha only has the gearbox, clutch cover, cylinders and heads and a couple of other misc parts and the rest of the WHOLE bike including crank cases, frame, forks etc are
    replica ...!)

Got a love a good RZ - the first 2 stroke road bike that scared me as a 17 year old, more so than my brother's GS1000S.
    I remember my first ride on an RZ, I was about 16 and had a CB250RS which I thought was just the bees knees and on a visit to the local dealer spotted a very sexy bike I hadn't seen before, was told take it for a ride to see what I thought. Cool so off I went around town then opened the throttle to see what it had now remember I was used to a 4 stroke so as a bit disappointed well that was until I discovered what a powerband was and holy shit it was all on thought my arms were getting ripped out of their sockets and may have stained me undies, got back to the dealers still shaking and said something along the lines of HOLY FUCK WHERE DO I SIGN!!!

Bike
    Blog Entries
    I have those same progrips on my Stinger, that's how I knew the pattern. I'd decided before I started that I was doing it to ride and my interpretation. Screw anyone else's opinion.

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    I think I spotted a rz250 for sale on trademe a week or two ago but it seems to have been sold now. I think it had a round headlight fitted and no fairings.
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    I have those same progrips on my Stinger, that's how I knew the pattern. I'd decided before I started that I was doing it to ride and my interpretation. Screw anyone else's opinion.
    Exactly how I feel as long as I'm happy with it screw what others think.

Quote Originally Posted by mossy1200 View Post
    I think I spotted a rz250 for sale on trademe a week or two ago but it seems to have been sold now. I think it had a round headlight fitted and no fairings.
    Yep you did looked like it was a fresh import that needs resto, I think he was asking about 2.5k not sure if it sold tho. I'm not that fond of those models I think yamaha tried to update the cosmetics due to poor sales but just looks wrong but that's just my opinion

I will be on the lookout for a RD250 LC at some stage, everyone else seems to be into the 350's but I'm staying with the 250 theme.

Thread Information