Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Chain lube - beware of this one

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post
    Prolan here. Most engineering suppliers will have it in aerosol cans.
    I used that too and thought it was great as my chain was always clean and rust free. However after early destruction of two x-ring chains, I gave up on it and went back to chain lube.

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...ghlight=prolan
    Nunquam Non Paratus

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Quote Originally Posted by RGVforme View Post
    Welcome sir......Your one brave man....

An Aussie based poster venturing onto KB and 2 posts in starts talking sheep lubricant.....

Amazing what they use Lanolin for now aye.I cant say I have seen it but it makes sense.
    Axle just got a chubby.

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    I used that too and thought it was great as my chain was always clean and rust free. However after early destruction of two x-ring chains, I gave up on it and went back to chain lube.

Interesting. Wonder if the Prolan damaged the seals.

Certainly wasn't evident on the dirt bikes, but chain life on dirt bikes is far more about keeping it clean than lubricating it, and Prolan didn't seem to attract wind blown dust 'n dirt as much.

That's less of a problem with road bikes, but I still think a protective film is more important than the lubrication qualities of the lube. If you think about it the roller doesn't actually turn wrt the sprocket tooth, the pin and bush inside the seal envelope is the only thing that actually needs a high performance lubricant.

Early days yet for the BelRay experiment, but I like it's longevity, I like that it stays on the chain and doesn't cover the bike in shit, I like that it's not sticky so it's less likely to collect dirt and I like the fact that you can still see it around the joints between links months after application.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    A streetbike named Desire
    Blog Entries

Cog Spectro Zinc?

Is anyone using Spectro Z-Clean chain lube? It sprays on white and it claims there is no fling off when used as directed.

Bike
    2016 Suzuki Boulevard M109R
    Welcome sir......Your one brave man....

An Aussie based poster venturing onto KB and 2 posts in starts talking sheep lubricant.....

Amazing what they use Lanolin for now aye.I cant say I have seen it but it makes sense.
    As an ex-farm boy whose family run multiple sheep farms, there ain't no throwing stones haha

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post

The Lanotec stuff states designed use for o-ring and x-ring chains, hence the initial attempt at use.

I am about to replace my chain and sprockets so will keep an eye on the longevity with the new chain getting only the Lanotec ...

Bike
    Road King
    Blog Entries
    I don't use animal based lubricants?

Why, well let me think........ Firstly they are biodegradeable. Secondly animal and vege based lubricants are triglicerides, when they oxidise they become rancid, just like your local chippy when he doesent change his cooking oil. This is the small fatty acid molecules breaking off the ends of the hydrocarbon chains. I can only think that the fatty acid molecules will strip electrons from your metal chain and corrode it. I would not lube my chain with an animal or vege based lube, as the byproducts of the lube oxidising are hard on your chain life.

Who should you buy lubricants from? A oil company or a wool scouring company who is trying to offload a waste product.
    Just another leather clad Tinkerbell.
    The Wanker on the Fucking Harley is going for a ride!

Bike
    2009 KTM990
    Quote Originally Posted by Flip View Post

Why, well let me think........ Firstly they are biodegradeable. Secondly animal and vege based lubricants are triglicerides, when they oxidise they become rancid, just like your local chippy when he doesent change his cooking oil. This is the small fatty acid molecules breaking off the ends of the hydrocarbon chains. I can only think that the fatty acid molecules will strip electrons from your metal chain and corrode it. I would not lube my chain with an animal or vege based lube, as the byproducts of the lube oxidising are hard on your chain life.

Who should you buy lubricants from? A oil company or a wool scouring company who is trying to offload a waste product.
    Perhaps the key to this may lay in the words "Based Lubricants" which may involve some type of modern stabilization of the product unlike the bad old days..... Like Lanox MX4 Which I have seen for sale here.

Who knows your rubber band drive on your HD may contain Lanolin as its sometimes used in rubber components to help keep shape and remain pliable.

Bike
    Perhaps the key to this may lay in the words "Based Lubricants" which may involve some type of modern stabilization of the product unlike the bad old days..... Like Lanox MX4 Which I have seen for sale here.

Who knows your rubber band drive on your HD may contain Lanolin as its sometimes used in rubber components to help keep shape and remain pliable.
    Bingo! Putting pure raw lanolin on the chain will likely have a negative effect for the reasons stated about the rancidity and degradability.

The reason that Lanotec, and other based-lubricants, are utilised for the purposes discussed is that it is a mixed compound which retains the lubricating and protection properties of lanolin, whilst removing the degradation properties of its natural biodegradable nature.

Many oil companies also try to offload leftover, crappy oil into the aerosol options so that they can make profit instead of pay to dispose. Depending on the oil being used, it could be just as detrimental to the seals as raw lanolin.

In the end it comes down to tried and tested, professional/commercial usage, and transparency of the company about ingredients and science behind the mix.

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure

And yet some reckon it protects steel from corrosion better than crude based compounds.

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/ca...0130008194.pdf

And if the primary job of the stuff outside of the seals is corrosion inhibition rather than lubrication then why isn't it a better choice?

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WristTwister View Post
    Is anyone using Spectro Z-Clean chain lube? It sprays on white and it claims there is no fling off when used as directed.
    I was - flings off on my bike.

Belray is better.

Stays on the chain

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by WristTwister View Post
    The bro recommended it, so I bought a can. It wasn't so good, seemed to collect dirt and distribute it all over the bike.

He commented on the mess, at which point I hit him. But apparently it ain't the same as it used to be. Nor can he find what he once used, which was more of a wax.

That was years ago, he's now using BelRay and he hasn't hit me yet so I assume he's happy with it.

Bike

Why, well let me think........ Firstly they are biodegradeable.
    Would have thought that is a good thing personally.

Bike
    A streetbike named Desire
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post
    The bro recommended it, so I bought a can. It wasn't so good, seemed to collect dirt and distribute it all over the bike.

He commented on the mess, at which point I hit him. But apparently it ain't the same as it used to be. Nor can he find what he once used, which was more of a wax.

That was years ago, he's now using BelRay and he hasn't hit me yet so I assume he's happy with it.
    I may try out BelRay next time. Thanks.

Bike
    Trumpet
    Quote Originally Posted by Jin View Post
    Nice im going to buy some of this today and lube that bitch up nice and good.
    hahahahaha crack up

Thread Information