Thread: Body filler - what type?

Bike
    parts in a box

Body filler - what type?

Few small dents on the tank. Quick chat with some panel beaters, most don't work on bike parts. Some others quoted surprisingly large numbers (relatively speaking, for what I thought was very small job).

Like any project, I'm wayyy over budget so DIY approach it is.

Between poking it with a stick and pulling it with hot glue, I'm hoping I can get most of it straight. And then cover up any imperfections with filler. But that lead me down another rabbit hole.

So what's the best type of body filler to go with? Doesn't have to be aerospace grade, the key word is value.

Bike
    Between bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by racingtothecafe View Post
    Few small dents on the tank. Quick chat with some panel beaters, most don't work on bike parts.
    Are the dents creased? If not, get the smallest 'suction cup dent puller' you can find on Ebay. They are a few bucks. Heat the area before popping it. I had some rash and a dent on my tank, the popper sorted the dent out in a matter of seconds, and the rash was sorted by sanding / priming / spray putty.

Now, if they're creased, get em as good as you can (the cup may still come in handy) then any old bog should do for a steel tank. You will however probably need to rinse+repeat several times to get it looking good. As well as priming and guide coating, spray putty, blah blah.
    "It's hard to keep an open mind, when so many people are trying to put things in it"

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    whats the bike?

I repaired a mates bike and got quotes for panel beat and paint on a tank for a 2008 ninja (about 5 years ago, so it was still a fairly late model bike at the time) and the best quote I could get was about $50 less than a brand spanking new tank from the kawasaki factory delivered to my door.

needless to say I got them the new tank - you might be surprised at the difference between just getting a new tank

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by racingtothecafe View Post
    Few small dents on the tank. Quick chat with some panel beaters, most don't work on bike parts. Some others quoted surprisingly large numbers (relatively speaking, for what I thought was very small job).

Like any project, I'm wayyy over budget so DIY approach it is.

Between poking it with a stick and pulling it with hot glue, I'm hoping I can get most of it straight. And then cover up any imperfections with filler. But that lead me down another rabbit hole.

So what's the best type of body filler to go with? Doesn't have to be aerospace grade, the key word is value.
    You can buy it at Mitre ten Addos auto body filler, its in small tins 500ml so its affordable, make sure you mix it on a clean surface (not cardboard as it can have wax in it.) Buy a proper wiping card thingy and use thin layers mix it well by folding to avoid air bubbles.

PS They charge painters and pannelbeaters charge a lot for bikes as they are fiddly and need to be done to a high standard.
    Also make a dolly and try to push the dents from the filler cap hole

it looks like its been rebranded and gone up in price
    http://www.mitre10.co.nz/shop/automo..._500ml_461627/
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Thread Information